Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Aldi may be coming to Virginia Beach as well. What kind of store do they compare to? 

Aldi VB

think trader joes in regards to size and private label items. Now think bottom dollar in regards to no bags and various cost cutting measures. They're not going to be a big jobs creator but will definitely add a much needed new option in the local grocery market. And from how Aldi & lidl have been talking expansion, expect a lot of these. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an interesting idea by REI, a co-op retailer that will be at Pembroke Mall in 2016. Close on Black Friday!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/10/26/rei-closing-on-black-friday-for-first-time-in-its-history/74627872/

I'm looking forward to REI. There's some creative thinking going on in that company.

Edited by jeffconn

The site plan screams Walmart Neighborhood Market with the drive thru pharmacy. At one point there were talks of a Harris Teeter. Similar story with the proposed Spence Crossing Shopping Center. Plans originally looked like a Harris Teeter but updated plans have a Neighborhood Market footprint. Along with the Market at N Lynnhaven and the Supercenter at Hilltop, Walmart seems to be agressively blocking competition from expanding or maintaining market share. That's business but I'd prefer more diversity.  

• Like 1

The site plan screams Walmart Neighborhood Market with the drive thru pharmacy. At one point there were talks of a Harris Teeter. Similar story with the proposed Spence Crossing Shopping Center. Plans originally looked like a Harris Teeter but updated plans have a Neighborhood Market footprint. Along with the Market at N Lynnhaven and the Supercenter at Hilltop, Walmart seems to be agressively blocking competition from expanding or maintaining market share. That's business but I'd prefer more diversity.  

Well, it is a Sifen development. I really don't expect anything else from that developer at this point. That particular area is fairly suited for suburban development, and it is kind of run down. This could be a slight improvement. That said, I'm not going to be doing cartwheels over the thing. This is nothing other than a typical Virginia Beach site plan.

Lowes sold it at a loss to Sifen a couple of years ago. 

Walmarts probably a better fit here anyways. And it is better than a concrete slab.

But at Spence Crossing it's disappointing. When the project was first  announced it was pitched as a rival to Town Center. But a recession and Landstown Commons later were left with apartments condos and a yet to be built shopping center that excites no one.  

• 2 weeks later...

Indoor trampoline park may land in Lynnhaven Mall

• By Stacy Parker The Virginian-Pilot
  • 6 hrs ago
  •  

VIRGINIA BEACH

Boing! Boing!

There may soon be two choices for indoor trampoline jumping in the city.

Owners of Jump Trampoline Park are applying for a use permit to operate in Lynnhaven Mall, next door to Dave & Buster's.

Another indoor trampoline park, SkyZone, moved through the approval process earlier in the fall. It's scheduled to open by early January at 2029 S. Lynnhaven Pkwy., next to the Kroger Training Center.

Jump Trampoline Park at the mall would feature 12,000 square feet of trampolines and would include basketball hoops, a dodge-ball court and foam pits.

The space would also house two birthday party rooms. It would be open seven days a week and employ up to 65 people.

The City Council will vote on the application during a public meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Stacy Parker, 757-222-5125; [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2015 at 10:52 PM, 757Duke said:

The HomeGoods slated to be built at Pembroke Mall is currently on hold.

On 11/13/2015 at 0:18 AM, urbanvb said:

Sounds like Home Goods and the bowling alley might not happen or at at least is delayed. Wonder what's up? I noticed today the Sears store continues their plan. Construction of REI is progessing nicely also.

Where did you all get this information?

On 11/1/2015 at 0:03 AM, tallguy81" said:

walmart sucks!

To each their own, Tallguy...  I happen to work for them and while I hope to find new employment, I'm sure I'll still shop there.

Also, I think that they might not put a Neighborhood Market there as it would be very close to their store at Town Center....

1 hour ago, likeminded said:

Where did you all get this information?

I meant because nothing is happening inside the mall for this construction to start. Maybe eventually but I'm not sure. Perhaps it will be done in phases. 

Edited by urbanvb