Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

On 4/6/2017 at 8:28 PM, baobabs727 said:

Finally, Uptown Alley talks have stalled. Owner looking for alternative national entertainment options. 

That is very disheartening to hear.  I think that Uptown Alley would be an awesome addition.  I hope they still find a way to make it happen eventually.  "Entertainment options" leaves me dubious about what could possibly happen.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:33 AM, Brennen said:

Is it possible the 'site work' was just the demo of the old building?  When that work was being done they had not even gotten the zoning approval from the city.  I'm confident it will happen but I can wait patiently as they will probably use the horrid drive-thru model they have in place at the other locations.  My CFA consumption has plummeted since they redid all the other drive-thrus.

On 4/6/2017 at 2:10 AM, baobabs727 said:

In my experience, they've improved wait times at the drive-through as well as the total experience as a dine-in customer.  The one on Monticello is beautiful. The double drive-through at Hilltop works flawlessly, especially when they have the iPads out there.  They never miss my order, and I seem to fly through the line. One person working each line outside while the interior staff do their jobs flawlessly. There is not a single fast food restaurant in existence that has a better staff to customer ratio.  I'll take them any day over any other.

I agree with baobabs.  CFA is the best.  Brennen, I'm not sure what your experience has been, but I find their drive-thru model works quite well.  I think it's especially neat to have that personal touch when they have people outside taking orders...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maggie McFly's now open at Lynnhaven Mall. 180 item menu, one hundred beers, 48 of them on tap…a nitro wine system and a bunch of other stuff. Outdoor dining.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/small-business/maggie-mcfly-s-a-connecticut-based-award-winning-restaurant-opens/article_e571948c-2ae9-5898-ba9c-be13395b071a.html

Pembroke Mall is gaining a new entrance and a future anchor store. I'm not sure  what retailer it could be. Most malls are moving away from anchor stores so this should be interesting. Parking at the front of the mall is pretty packed. Could a parking garage be in the future? 

https://www.google.com/amp/pilotonline.com/news/local/around-town/pembroke-mall-gets-new-entrance-this-month-new-anchor-store/article_375b9946-d542-5c00-b5d7-7b5c7ae01911.amp.html

Edited by urbanvb

On 5/11/2017 at 11:08 PM, baobabs727 said:

Maggie McFly's now open at Lynnhaven Mall. 180 item menu, one hundred beers, 48 of them on tap…a nitro wine system and a bunch of other stuff. Outdoor dining.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/small-business/maggie-mcfly-s-a-connecticut-based-award-winning-restaurant-opens/article_e571948c-2ae9-5898-ba9c-be13395b071a.html

Went there earlier tonight. Great time. Super cool vibe, high-end interior,  locally-sourced produce, meats and other provisions where possible… Including craft beers! Loads.  Add to that a sleek bar with flat panels, great outdoor seating, an outdoor lounge area and fire table,  and you've got a winner.  Oh yeah, and the food is pretty fabulous, as well. There's a room in the back to that seems to be semi-private.aviation themed. The menu is  absolutely huge. I had a great dinner, highly recommended. That mall needed this one big time. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, urbanvb said:

Today I noticed site work has begun on the new CFA on the Boulevard. 

I feel like a great opportunity to redevelop this corner was completely missed.  The pawn shop was closed and I feel like Chartway could have been convinced to relocate.  At least everything will be occupied... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kmart in Pembroke is closing soon. What I wouldn't give to see something nice and urban go into its space. Quite honestly, I see the opposite happening. :( 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/kmart-to-close-stores-in-virginia-beach/article_9a6703c4-4bfb-51ff-8a40-da706327cb01.html

With this lot being so valuable perhaps a good developer might come along. Maybe?

Edited by urbanvb

Williamsburg's famed Le Yaca restaurant has opened a new location in Virginia Beach at Hilltop, @The Marketplace at Hilltop. I have eaten there in Williamsburg many times over the past 27 years, and I can't wait to try the new location. 

Consistently fantastic and straightforward French cuisine in an elegant, yet relaxed and comfortable, environment. Three-course prix fixe and à-la-cart lunches and dinners, plus Champagne Brunch on Sundays!

The Southside has truly been yearning for a place like this since the demise of Le Chambord last decade. I just hope that people don't find it too pricey, for the quality and value are most definitely there. 

http://www.leyacawilliamsburg.com/

(VB & Wmsbrg site)

IMG_9962.JPG

IMG_9968.PNG

IMG_9969.PNG

IMG_9970.PNG

IMG_9971.PNG

Edited by baobabs727

For those who have been following the multitude of changes going on at Lynnhaven Mall, my source says that they are waiting for City approval of their package submitted for a new grand marquis, new entry signage, new way signage, etc.  

The parking lot improvements have been completed and so have the LED lighting, hardscape and sidewalk updates around the old main entrance, the new front entrance between L.L. Bean and Maggie McFly's, etc.

Additionally, they are expecting to make an announcement pretty soon regarding a new restaurant to take the place of the old Ruby Tuesday's out back by the AMC 18 Cinemas.

In-line tenants continue to renovate their entry façades and interiors to better reflect all of the improvements that General Growth Properties has made to the interior corridors and central plaza.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

So after the grand tour of the new Lidl in VB, I have to say it was kind of... disappointing. Here are my takeaways:

Lidl is suggesting it is somewhere between Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter. I'd say this is definitely not the case. Although it is much bigger than a TJ or Aldi, most of what it has is really just too "American". It feels more like a cross between the IKEA cafeteria and a Walmart NM. TJ especially and even Aldi have quirky stuff that is fun to try. Here everything just seemed like the off brand of every boring thing you can already buy everywhere else. EXCEPT that the wine section was huge and... did not seem to have the best prices so there's that. And I guess what I like about Aldi is the selection is basic. TJ has a lot more stuff but the store is still small. Lidl is not big but is not an easy in and out place. It's a weird size that feels too small and too big for what its trying to accomplish if that makes any sense. 

I'll probably bypass it for the Hilltop which will have an Aldi, TJ, WF and Target all close to each other. Even a Kroger (although the only thing I ever get at that one is gas) and Walmart too. I think the biggest competitors will be Food Lion, Walmart NM and maybe Farm Fresh. I don't see it as huge competition for TJ or WF though. Not really even Aldi. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JPN0731 said:

So after the grand tour of the new Lidl in VB, I have to say it was kind of... disappointing. Here are my takeaways:

Lidl is suggesting it is somewhere between Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter. I'd say this is definitely not the case. Although it is much bigger than a TJ or Aldi, most of what it has is really just too "American". It feels more like a cross between the IKEA cafeteria and a Walmart NM. TJ especially and even Aldi have quirky stuff that is fun to try. Here everything just seemed like the off brand of every boring thing you can already buy everywhere else. EXCEPT that the wine section was huge and... did not seem to have the best prices so there's that. And I guess what I like about Aldi is the selection is basic. TJ has a lot more stuff but the store is still small. Lidl is not big but is not an easy in and out place. It's a weird size that feels too small and too big for what its trying to accomplish if that makes any sense. 

I'll probably bypass it for the Hilltop which will have an Aldi, TJ, WF and Target all close to each other. Even a Kroger (although the only thing I ever get at that one is gas) and Walmart too. I think the biggest competitors will be Food Lion, Walmart NM and maybe Farm Fresh. I don't see it as huge competition for TJ or WF though. Not really even Aldi. 

As ours is one of the very first LIDL's to open in the US, that's an interesting and important review. I'll have to go check it out when I'm over that way sometime.

Yes, Hilltop also has a Fresh Market. An embarrassment of riches, I'd say. Additionally, there's a Food Lion, a Harris Teeter, and the #1 Farm Fresh within 0.5, 2.0, and 3.0 miles from Hilltop, respectively. Crazy!

Edited by baobabs727

Personally Lidl is what I expected - a slightly better version of Aldi. It's a deep discount grocer that is dependent on private label, knockoff brands so don't set your expectations too high. 

The two chains have everyone from Walmart to Whole Foods re-evaluating themselves. I saw at least three different people walking around taking notes in the half hour I was there. Between these two and Amazons acquisition of Whole Foods, the national grocery industry is just at the start of a major shakeup. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brennen said:

Personally Lidl is what I expected - a slightly better version of Aldi. It's a deep discount grocer that is dependent on private label, knockoff brands so don't set your expectations too high. 

The two chains have everyone from Walmart to Whole Foods re-evaluating themselves. I saw at least three different people walking around taking notes in the half hour I was there. Between these two and Amazons acquisition of Whole Foods, the national grocery industry is just at the start of a major shakeup. 

Exactly.  And for our area, Wegmans will put pressure on HT and WF, while Aldi and Lidl will eventually put a hurt on Food Lion, I suspect. FL has already been losing market share year after year. 

Edited by baobabs727

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2017 at 2:46 AM, baobabs727 said:

Exactly.  And for our area, Wegmans will put pressure on HT and WF, while Aldi and Lidl will eventually put a hurt on Food Lion, I suspect. FL has already been losing market share year after year. 

I personally liked Lidl fairly well.  I see it as very similar to Aldi, though bigger and somewhat more up-scale.  Definitely not a full-tier supermarket like Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter.  Someone I know that's familiar has said that Farm Fresh is really feeling the pinch, and that it's days are probably numbered.  I think FF has much more competition in it's segment than FL does. I don't think Aldi and Lidl are in quite the same segment that FL is.
Speaking of Wegmans, though, has anyone heard anything on the progress or time frame?  I know that the Office Max just recently relocated to the new Office Depot location, so that obstacle is out of the way.  I'm ready for demo to begin and let's get the show on the road!  LOL.  Anyone in the know with the latest and greatest?

Oh, and I keep hearing rumors that Publix could head this way...that'd be awesome.  Wegmans and Publix are two of the most highly-rated chains.  If HR can score both, we'd be siting really nice.  I do think that would be the end of FF and FL, though...and could hurt Kroger and HT to a fair degree.  Anyone else heard rumors about Publix?

I went to Lidl on Monday. I was impressed, but I can't see it giving Farm Fresh too much competition in the long run. The selection is much smaller; even though I was able to get the basic items, it's not a place I'll go every time I need groceries.

I heard Richmond will get Publix first, then HR might by the end of the decade.

• Like 1

The permits have pretty active for wegmans so I expect to see the building coming down soon. 

FF is the weakest link in the HR grocery market. I suspect Publix would like to do something similar to how they entered Richmond and buy the stores they want rather than the whole chain. That's obviously not ideal for SuperValu but it'd be the best for our area (versus new construction Publix and a bunch of empty FFs). 

From what I've read the Lidls and Aldis are specifically targeting FLs market but FL is in a better position to compete than FF. I expect some the close once the European stores open more locations. 

And the Kroger Marketplaces are  cannibalizing nearby Harris Teeters. 

10 hours ago, likeminded said:

I personally liked Lidl fairly well.  I see it as very similar to Aldi, though bigger and somewhat more up-scale.  Definitely not a full-tier supermarket like Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter.  Someone I know that's familiar has said that Farm Fresh is really feeling the pinch, and that it's days are probably numbered.  I think FF has much more competition in it's segment than FL does. I don't think Aldi and Lidl are in quite the same segment that FL is.
Speaking of Wegmans, though, has anyone heard anything on the progress or time frame?  I know that the Office Max just recently relocated to the new Office Depot location, so that obstacle is out of the way.  I'm ready for demo to begin and let's get the show on the road!  LOL.  Anyone in the know with the latest and greatest?

Oh, and I keep hearing rumors that Publix could head this way...that'd be awesome.  Wegmans and Publix are two of the most highly-rated chains.  If HR can score both, we'd be siting really nice.  I do think that would be the end of FF and FL, though...and could hurt Kroger and HT to a fair degree.  Anyone else heard rumors about Publix?

Aldi and Lidl are targeting the value conscious consumer, something Food Lion has always done well. However, FL has already been bleeding market share year after year,  and the two newcomers see blood in the water. Also, FL has no plans to renovate here. They are fighting back in Richmond though,  apparently. So, I do believe that the newcomers will be competing directly with the Walmarts, Targets and FL  moreso than with FF, who in the last decade has tried upscale to compete with Harris Teeter and Fresh Market, even WF  if you listen to local FF executives.

Publix has put Hampton Roads entrance on hold…for now. I think they see a very crowded field here  with limited population growth. Plus the Commissaries here make things even more complicated/difficult. 

Remember, grocery store margins are generally thought to be only around 1 to 2%, so there's really no room for miscalcution.

I have no inside information on Wegmans, but I don't have any reason to believe that they are not moving forward. Opening day should be insane.