Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 2 months later...

Chick-fil-A was supposed to have opened today their their new location near town center. I’m a fan of the urbanesque architecture including the large windows and modern interior. I know, it’s just another Chick-fil-A.:unsure:

https://www.facebook.com/CFAVaBeachBlvd/?hc_ref=ARRkspSB3Cwwxisezg1FRwMDTnru70M1gbyq5DNF3weys887h7wcpxS5_MWI5Zgo1-g&fref=nf

Edited by urbanvb

Lol. I get it though.  Sure beats those older, overwrought designs with flying buttresses... huge glass bubble playgrounds with lots of bright red, gaudy signage. Many of the worst of those were in the South  since they had  standalone models well before we did. ....but anyway...have you ever seen the one on Monticello?  (Below)

IMG_1883.PNG

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Publix will be opening a 69K sq.' store at Monticello Market in Williamsburg. They might be entering southside HR sooner than some had thought.

There's been a lot of permit action lately for Hickman Place. This is the shopping center that was rumored for Publix earlier this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 23320 said:

Town Center Marketing

Divaris has a LOI for 19k SF of Barnes & Noble. Probably not a good indicator for the redevelopment of Columbus Village happening anytime soon. 

Not necessarily. That's a small portion of the overall land. The current development plan seems concentrated in that top left corner. They may have moved B&N back since the city didn't do the land swap and they need to build out the retail space in the first phase.

Screenshot_20171023-092116.png.ea42558cb

Even if they started construction today, it's going to take 2-3 years for that phase, and thus the B&N space to be completed. Obviously they're still going to need to be making money off that land for the time being.

• 2 months later...

Seventeen remain unsold but it sounds like they will all close in mid-May whether or not they have a buyer. The FF at the Oceanfront is being sold to HT & with the current HT nearby it could create a redevelopment opportunity for one of those sites. Similarly the Wards Corner location is being purchased by Kroger with another Kroger across the street. Hopefully that could lead to something happening with the current Kroger and the Workforce Development building. 

Someone predicted this on this forum about a year ago, as Aldi and Lidl started popping up everywhere, and Wegman's around the corner. This is a bummer, considering it had a local presence, or at least local roots. I will miss the chicken as well...

I live within 5 minutes of Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Farm Fresh, so I imagine the FF will become Kroger, if that one is affected at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, 23320 said:

New restaurant Coopers Hawk Winery coming to Lynnhaven Mall. Location is described as "Restaurant C" which I am guessing is in the parking lot in front of Barnes & Noble  

https://chwinery.com/

IMG_0376.thumb.PNG.5874541fc57e5d5fecf114c842c2d133.PNG

Pilot article about the development of Coopers Hawk Winery

Wasn't sure if the square footage in the city database was for the land footprint or the actual building but the article states it will be 11k sf. 

Aww, I was  still holding out remote hope for Maggiano's Little Italy ...but I had conversed with the exclusive agent for them...& he had told me that an original deal did not work out. And when I mentioned VBTC he said that the space under the premier was too small...they need 12k sq ft.  But I do know that you can combine a lower level space which would be awkward (though several of them are two stories) and make it closer to that size.  Anyway, they've been looking for a space here for 5+ years lol

Edited by baobabs727

Rooms to Go is coming to Virginia Beach and Newport News. Newport News is under construction and the Beach store opens next year. I bought a couch from them last year and so far quite pleased. Good competition for Haynes which will be just down the street.

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_cd255204-487f-11e8-81d2-7f79f28b7c73.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The city is seeking public input on how to make Atlantic Ave. more enticing.

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_7568d6c6-796c-11e8-b302-a78490b10345.html

To participate in the survey, click below.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/sga/strategic-growth-areas/Pages/Activate-Atlantic-Avenue.aspx

I more or less suggested loosening up on the "family-friendly" stuff while making it more inviting to young professionals and the older crowd.

17 hours ago, BFG said:

The city is seeking public input on how to make Atlantic Ave. more enticing.

Parking rates are outrageous. If you can find a metered parking spot, putting a quarter in gets you 5 minutes. It's not just Atlantic Ave., but the boardwalk is BORING! Look at Venice Beach, Ca. on how to improve the boardwalk.