Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 1 month later...

Don't everyone get tooooooo excited, lol, but as you may know, Shake Shack is coming to Town Center of Virginia Beach.

It will be only the 3rd location in VA, the only unit outside of NOVA, and one of only approx 150 in the world. It will not, however, be built in skyscraper form. 

Richmond has taken notice of our good fortune,  and a major media food writer up there seems to imply that they might just be a tad bit jealous....

https://www.richmond.com/food-drink/restaurant-news/shake-shack-opening-in-virginia-beach/article_7d2b9fdf-1120-573d-b9d7-6eda35dff14a.html 

More coverage:

https://wtkr.com/2018/08/01/shake-shack-coming-to-town-center/

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/restaurants/article_197edbbc-958c-11e8-a4d1-e7a91a2f213e.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/shake-shack-coming-to-virginia-beach-town-center/ar-BBLl35v

• Like 1

Yeah, they're the current food media darling & Millenial Quickserve Foodie Darling, the "it" burger chain, along with Cali's "In-N-Out" burger joint. 

No prob. I have the same issue sometimes with those boxes. Vdogg will come to your rescue eventually!

Cooper's Hawk! A big test of Lynnhaven Mall corridor and biz district's ability to support fine dining.

Edited by baobabs727

• 3 weeks later...

Wel.... another bait and switch in the retail development arena for this area. After having been teased by  Wegmans (read: misled) & the media  for several years with prospects of a truly proper store at 130,000 ft.² ....mezz dining & parking deck....we are now getting a smaller store than any of the 4 slated for Raleigh metro North Carolina & any in all of VA...save the new small urban prototype on Alexandria.  At 113,000 sf, our one,  lone store (in VA's second largest metro) will be smaller than the 2 stores in Richmond (115/120k), the 1 store in Fredericksburg (140k), the 1 store in Charlottesville (130k)..,.and in all of NOVA (130-145k) save the aforementioned urban formatted store at under 90k sf. 

And...the restaurant here inside our store will be called "BURGER BAR."

Well, that about sums up what they obviously think of us, folks.

https://www.wegmans.com/news-media/press-releases/2018/wegmans-is-now-hiring-and-training-185-full-time-employees-for-v.html

https://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/article_6965e094-aac2-11e8-bbfa-4f7d51d7a45a.html

Honestly I could care less about another grocery store but it does feel like we consistently get slighted on everything that comes here.  Whether that's store size like this example or that brewery restaurant that was suppose to be in Waterside, the constantly shrinking sizes of the building built here, the ridiculously bland architecture that all of the short, fat buildings that make up our skyline are made of. It can be downright maddening. Look at the Downtowns of similar size metro areas; Raleigh, Austin, Louisville, Jacksonville and then look at Norfolk and tell me that's not depressing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Honestly I could care less about another grocery store but it does feel like we consistently get slighted on everything that comes here.  Whether that's store size like this example or that brewery restaurant that was suppose to be in Waterside, the constantly shrinking sizes of the building built here, the ridiculously bland architecture that all of the short, fat buildings that make up our skyline are made of. It can be downright maddening. Look at the Downtowns of similar size metro areas; Raleigh, Austin, Louisville, Jacksonville and then look at Norfolk and tell me that's not depressing. 

Yes. Yes. Yes. The last truly major regional retail investment that initially delivered almost all of what was originally promised was brought to us courtesy of the great Taubman cos.  $300M in 1997-99 dollars--especially in Norfolk/HR--was REAL  money. The MacArthur Center physical plant itself inside & out blew away everything of its kind in existence at the time  between NOVA and ATL. And yet even Taubman could not deliver a 3rd anchor...or fully program the 3rd floor with fashion retailers.

Town Center may be unique in its going-on-20 yr journey to deliver on promises made. Starting out as a huge failure in retail, as local shopping patterns and preferences evolved, MacArthur aged and Taubman sold out...VBTC has come into its own retail-wise and is quickly becoming the location of choice for mid to mid-upperscale retailers to hawk their wares.

I guess the tortoise really does beat the hare sometimes!

Edited by baobabs727

Honestly, I'm more upset that the city let a suburban grocery store be built right next to "their downtown"...but that's what VB does. STOP letting these developers and these brands build what they want just so you get the brand name in the city. Force them to get creative and develop an urban store/business...if they can't/won't then it doesn't get approved. Let them build in the Princess Anne or Redmill area if they want to be here so bad. Now we are going to have a giant grocery store with a sea of parking for many years taking up valuable "urban" real estate.  Honestly, I wouldn't care if Wegmans never came here...it's a grocery store! I have a half dozen within 5mins of my house. 

Why couldn't they force something similar to this? Nope!  

image.png.ea97356b5752d16984dddfcb9647ec98.pngimage.png.211a0981115577ca5a6ffe287f043e04.png

• Like 2

I don't think it's necessarily a right or wrong way to do this, but I do agree that for the city to want TC to be its urban core, the Wegmans in that spot is a bit out of place. That space could've been home to a few more city blocks, and Wegman's could've taken over the old K-Mart. But as that area grows, maybe it'll blend in all right in another 10 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Willy18 said:

Honestly, I'm more upset that the city let a suburban grocery store be built right next to "their downtown"...but that's what VB does. STOP letting these developers and these brands build what they want just so you get the brand name in the city. Force them to get creative and develop an urban store/business...if they can't/won't then it doesn't get approved. Let them build in the Princess Anne or Redmill area if they want to be here so bad. Now we are going to have a giant grocery store with a sea of parking for many years taking up valuable "urban" real estate.  Honestly, I wouldn't care if Wegmans never came here...it's a grocery store! I have a half dozen within 5mins of my house. 

Why couldn't they force something similar to this? Nope!  

image.png.ea97356b5752d16984dddfcb9647ec98.pngimage.png.211a0981115577ca5a6ffe287f043e04.png

I would love to see that second building on VB Blvd. I could see VB Blvd lined with buildings like this on both sides. It'd give the area a very dense, almost European urban, feel.

• Like 2