vdogg

Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

Honestly I could care less about another grocery store but it does feel like we consistently get slighted on everything that comes here.  Whether that's store size like this example or that brewery restaurant that was suppose to be in Waterside, the constantly shrinking sizes of the building built here, the ridiculously bland architecture that all of the short, fat buildings that make up our skyline are made of. It can be downright maddening. Look at the Downtowns of similar size metro areas; Raleigh, Austin, Louisville, Jacksonville and then look at Norfolk and tell me that's not depressing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Honestly I could care less about another grocery store but it does feel like we consistently get slighted on everything that comes here.  Whether that's store size like this example or that brewery restaurant that was suppose to be in Waterside, the constantly shrinking sizes of the building built here, the ridiculously bland architecture that all of the short, fat buildings that make up our skyline are made of. It can be downright maddening. Look at the Downtowns of similar size metro areas; Raleigh, Austin, Louisville, Jacksonville and then look at Norfolk and tell me that's not depressing. 

Yes. Yes. Yes. The last truly major regional retail investment that initially delivered almost all of what was originally promised was brought to us courtesy of the great Taubman cos.  $300M in 1997-99 dollars--especially in Norfolk/HR--was REAL  money. The MacArthur Center physical plant itself inside & out blew away everything of its kind in existence at the time  between NOVA and ATL. And yet even Taubman could not deliver a 3rd anchor...or fully program the 3rd floor with fashion retailers.

Town Center may be unique in its going-on-20 yr journey to deliver on promises made. Starting out as a huge failure in retail, as local shopping patterns and preferences evolved, MacArthur aged and Taubman sold out...VBTC has come into its own retail-wise and is quickly becoming the location of choice for mid to mid-upperscale retailers to hawk their wares.

I guess the tortoise really does beat the hare sometimes!

Edited by baobabs727

Honestly, I'm more upset that the city let a suburban grocery store be built right next to "their downtown"...but that's what VB does. STOP letting these developers and these brands build what they want just so you get the brand name in the city. Force them to get creative and develop an urban store/business...if they can't/won't then it doesn't get approved. Let them build in the Princess Anne or Redmill area if they want to be here so bad. Now we are going to have a giant grocery store with a sea of parking for many years taking up valuable "urban" real estate.  Honestly, I wouldn't care if Wegmans never came here...it's a grocery store! I have a half dozen within 5mins of my house. 

Why couldn't they force something similar to this? Nope!  

image.png.ea97356b5752d16984dddfcb9647ec98.pngimage.png.211a0981115577ca5a6ffe287f043e04.png

• Like 2

I don't think it's necessarily a right or wrong way to do this, but I do agree that for the city to want TC to be its urban core, the Wegmans in that spot is a bit out of place. That space could've been home to a few more city blocks, and Wegman's could've taken over the old K-Mart. But as that area grows, maybe it'll blend in all right in another 10 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Willy18 said:

Honestly, I'm more upset that the city let a suburban grocery store be built right next to "their downtown"...but that's what VB does. STOP letting these developers and these brands build what they want just so you get the brand name in the city. Force them to get creative and develop an urban store/business...if they can't/won't then it doesn't get approved. Let them build in the Princess Anne or Redmill area if they want to be here so bad. Now we are going to have a giant grocery store with a sea of parking for many years taking up valuable "urban" real estate.  Honestly, I wouldn't care if Wegmans never came here...it's a grocery store! I have a half dozen within 5mins of my house. 

Why couldn't they force something similar to this? Nope!  

image.png.ea97356b5752d16984dddfcb9647ec98.pngimage.png.211a0981115577ca5a6ffe287f043e04.png

I would love to see that second building on VB Blvd. I could see VB Blvd lined with buildings like this on both sides. It'd give the area a very dense, almost European urban, feel.

• Like 2

There have been a number of restaurant closures around Lynnhaven Mall recently, including Applebee’s, UNOs, Ruby Tuesday, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. At least three of these chains have reported financial issues company wide (not sure about UNOs) so hopefully this isn’t a statement about Lynnhaven’s restaurant market. 

With that said, Panera is planning on relocating and opening a drive-thru behind BOA, similar to two other locations in VB (Hilltop & Kemp’s River). 

I haven't been to Lynnhaven in a while, but with the exception of Applebee's, I had no idea they closed any of those places. I used to eat at all of them when I worked near the mall. That sucks.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, Willy18 said:

image.png.211a0981115577ca5a6ffe287f043e04.png

Now imagine the whole strip redone like that, with it wrapping around the entire block, so Pacific had the same look. I wish TC looked like that more...

• Like 1

CB in P  is down to only one or two locations nationwide. Hardly a LH dist issue. Both Applebee's and RT's have been closing restaurants right and left.  

A Cooper's Hawk Winery is being built @ 12k sf in front of Maggie McFly's ...which itself is a large, newer ground-up build from CT.  I like it. Meanwhile Las Palmas 2 opened in the former Ruby Tuesdays space fairly recently. Panda Express already opened a new standalone store on the site of the former Applebees...which was razed. I think that speaks well of the demand for land over there. So there is simply a lot of pressure on the sit-down chains right now. Fast casual is the new norm.  those traditional style chains that do not adapt or reinvent themselves will die. 

Edited by baobabs727

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/around-town/article_1b231e24-045e-11e9-9e90-3759cd181f17.html

Maybe I'm missing something. But at the beach, esp. during summer, why would you have a place like Taco Bell closing at midnight, esp. when you have places like Peabody's that stay open to last call?

Then again, I could be wrong...maybe the last call traffic is the exactly what they don't want, given the location and how Taco Bell's line wraps around the building at 2 am. But, on the surface, this seems more like VB caving in to the NIMBYs who hate everything.

• Like 1

The Resort Beach Civic League and a number of residents spoke out against the proposed restaurant at a Planning Commission meeting, raising concerns regarding traffic and noise.”

The oceanfront is nothing but traffic and noise during the summer. I hardly think that Taco Bell is going to be the straw that broke the camel’s back. These people will complain about anything. :rolleyes:

I stopped by Wegmans a few hours ago. The place was crawling with people. :shok:

IMG_20190430_185034.jpg

IMG_20190430_185200.jpg

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 2

I’ve been to Wegmans a couple of times mostly to pick up a few things. I especially appreciated all their gluten free items being all together on one isle and they have the largest selection in any store that I’ve been to. The prices seemed reasonable at least comparable to Fresh Market, at least for the items I buy . The store is smaller than the other Fairfax store I’ve been to but I’ve read the new stores going up are not as large as before. The store was busy both times and an article I read (I think an editorial on Inside Business) stated the Beach store had the 3rd largest number of people shop during it’s grand opening in the chain’s history.

I’ve yet to eat at a Shake Shack but hoping to visit soon.

Edited by urbanvb

On 5/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, urbanvb said:

I’ve been to Wegmans a couple of times mostly to pick up a few things. I especially appreciated all their gluten free items being all together on one isle and they have the largest selection in any store that I’ve been to. The prices seemed reasonable at least comparable to Fresh Market, at least for the items I buy . The store is smaller than the other Fairfax store I’ve been to but I’ve read the new stores going up are not as large as before. The store was busy both times and an article I read (I think an editorial on Inside Business) stated the Beach store had the 3rd largest number of people shop during it’s grand opening in the chain’s history.

I’ve yet to eat at a Shake Shack but hoping to visit soon.

Great report. I, too, have visited NOVA Wegmans locations over the years. They run 130k-145k sf, whereas ours is 113k sf. Richmond's two units are 115k & 120k sf.  Main difference here vs. NOVA besides some extra space in main level is that they have the huge mezzanine seating area and private room(s). Fredericksburg mezz, in particular, seems like wasted space to me. Not crowded. 

However, you are also correct in your reportage that Wegmans has decided that it can operate more efficiently within a smaller footprint, as 4 of the 5 new stores in The Triangle will be under 100k sf or just a tad over. 95/99k-103k....vs our 113k.

Edited by baobabs727