Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

Lane construction bus the contractor assigned to the 264 interchange and witchduck Rd project for VDOT. Part of the project is to build an overpass across the highway connecting Greenwich Rd and Cleveland St. It's right next to top golf. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Beach Vodka is seeking approval for a distillery at the former Purple Cow/Planet Pizza/Americana Roadside Grill/you get the point.  This space has failed repeatedly as a restaurant so hopefully something different will succeed.  Never had it but seems like they have a strong following.

F1499357-0704-4847-8CFE-CAEB7B2534D0.thumb.jpeg.521fe5e1c73950493403a30e443f6f2e.jpeg

Here’s a crude rendering they shared about a month ago.

6082D994-556F-4826-A0FD-C698B3355DED.thumb.jpeg.ba40e4b693aacd910d7c484ec34f1741.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

APEX, an indoor amusement park of sorts, is taking over the old Dick's Sporting Goods at Town Center. Amenities include a go-kart track, arcade, bowling alley, and corporate meeting space. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/vp-bz-town-center-apex-20191030-4d7bqbxz3nh7vg2tevg3skfko4-story.html

IMO, this is an excellent addition to Town Center, esp. if they do something similar to Dave and Buster's and stay open later, say midnight.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BFG said:

APEX, an indoor amusement park of sorts, is taking over the old Dick's Sporting Goods at Town Center. Amenities include a go-kart track, arcade, bowling alley, and corporate meeting space. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/vp-bz-town-center-apex-20191030-4d7bqbxz3nh7vg2tevg3skfko4-story.html

IMO, this is an excellent addition to Town Center, esp. if they do something similar to Dave and Buster's and stay open later, say midnight.

This is fantastic news! The venue will bring an entirely different type of customer to Town Center which will help existing tenants as well.  

Related to experiential retail, Surge in former Sports Authority space in Lynnhaven has opened. Offers far more than any other trampoline park in the area. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

ROX, a new "luxury style" of bus, plans to offer trips from the Westin to DC, starting in May.

So it's a chartered bus service, basically? One that only goes to two places, very creative Mr. McWaters. I'm sorry but this just sounds like the city just wasted my money to help former Senator McWaters provide a "neat experience". 

What's next, a "luxury style" long car service that drops you off in Times Square? It's kind of like a limousine service, only you provide boba tea and back rubs. 

Edited by Willy18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

It's sad, but in all honesty their menu was a shell of what it was when they first opened. I remember taking my mom there for a mother's day dinner some years ago and it was excellent. I took her last year for her birthday, and could barely find anything we wanted their selection was so small. You can't sell yourself as an upscale restaurant and have a menu that's just a bit above a burger joint. I felt this would happen eventually, but the pandemic certainly sped things up?

• 2 months later...

https://www.finks.com/pages/hilltop-fall2020

All of you jewelry and Swiss watch fanatics, take note! The venerable Fink‘s jewelers will open a brand new store in Virginia Beach at Hilltop North Shopping Center, right behind Wells Fargo. It will be a new prototype format for them, and at 8000 ft.² —big!  Will be a contemporary interior setting With a refreshment area and entertainment space and will offer the full array of their merchandise. Big investment. I’m betting they’re going to close the MacArthur store. Based on an online interview with family that I came across, they basically say as much. However, they do know that sales at MacArthur have held up despite the closing of many retailers “around them.” They go on to call 23451 (Hilltop, included) the premier ZIP Code in the area  .... 

0DE233E3-EA4D-4DDF-909E-07A2498F6353.jpeg

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On 12/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, Asdfjkl; said:

Looking at the current leasing flyer, Three Notch’d will be taking this space.

That’s a good addition for Town Center. Really high quality brewery with some good eats at their location in IX Art Park in Charlottesville.

They were originally on the leasing flyer for the Railyard at Lamberts Point in Norfolk. But I guess they got tired of waiting for that development to become a reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I was at Lynnhaven Mall the other day, and retail in the entire wing leading to the Macy’s inside the mall is shuttered. The only retailer left open is a jewelry store along the main promenade at the corner. Now, this is a short-ish wing but it’s still troubling to see. Historically, Lynnhaven has had the highest occupancy rates in the region. 

On a positive note, the main entrance,  Grand Central Court and the food court (a physical addition) are very nice, bright and attractive these days...some six years or so post reno. The exterior of the front of the mall has never looked better, with all the new way signage, reimagined traffic patterns, landscaping, streetscape, extensive LED lighting, etc .  Cooper’s Hawk Winery out front looks to be doing good business, & a new standalone Panera with drivethru is almost finished close by.  I think Maggie McFly‘s is great, but I’m not sure how well it’s doing. It’s huge, and they seem to have trouble filling it up...especially since the pandemic. The space just adjacent is still empty and covered over. Next door at the mouth to the new mall entrance they created by tearing down Lord and Taylor,  L.L. Bean looks smart and is very nicely finished out with great merchandise. But they’ve always seemed kinda empty.

Out back, AMC 18 is open with limited capacity, Las Palmas 3 has replaced the old Ruby Tuesday and seems to do well. UNO’s pizzeria is still closed and empty. There are some other closed stores inside, along with one or two imminent openings.  

Wondering what the future holds for this mall? Well, I would not be surprised if in about five years, it is the only enclosed mall left standing. I also predict that the owners will continue to try to build on the massive out-parcels and bring in more entertainment. Pre-Covid, Dave & Buster’s performed near the top of the chain. 

Edited by baobabs727

15 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

Do you mean last one open or actually physically standing? Lynnhaven is certainly the best performing mall in the region but I doubt every mall closes or is demoed within five years. We will see some level of redevelopment at most of them within five years but I think complete closure is unlikely for all but one or two. 

Sorry, I didn’t mean actually physically standing. I meant still open and operating... in the same format and capacity as they do today.  Though it’s entirely possible that there will be a physical demolition or two within 5-10 years  

Clearly,  Military Circle is done. MacArthur Center will not be operating as a super-regional, enclosed mall as it does today, unless it’s somehow still open and limping along during a protracted and painful foreclosure process. I’d be very concerned about that Dillards flagship. They never really met projections even during the peak of the whole brick and mortar retail paradigm—in the best of economic circumstances.  Now they are almost certain to flounder, though Dillards, for a number of reasons, has a much different perspective on closing stores than does Macy’s, for example.  So who knows. 

The last time I was at Greenbrier Mall at Christmas, it was a ghost town. It was 22/23 December I believe, and I had just left MacArthur Center...which was packed... and I headed out to Chesapeake.   Greenbriar mall was absolutely dead. Same night. 25 minutes later. Christmas season.  And that was 2 1/2 years ago.  I’m sure that situation has not improved, especially with the closing of Sears, etc. The demographics over there are strong, so I am not worried about what will become of that property. Something will be developed there. But it won’t remain an enclosed mall. Finally, we know that Chesapeake Square  has been bought by local investors and will be reimagined here shortly, Along with much of the property in close proximiity. 

So, yes, in the end, I believe that Lynnhaven Mall will survive the most “intact” and will continue operating as the region’s leading enclosed mall. Perhaps the last of its kind, or maybe one of two.  Time will tell. 

Edited by baobabs727

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Sounds like we’ll return to the old days where you had to “drive into town” to pick up something from the mall. 

Yeah, like to NOVA/DC. lol. Circa 1995.  Some of us will probably end up going back up there, especially if Dillard’s @MacArthur closes. There’s nothing to see in Richmond either. 

58 minutes ago, Asdfjkl; said:

Without a doubt the local malls, as is the cause with most malls in the country, will have to reinvent themselves and some will require complete redevelopments. Military Circle being the obvious one. I would not at all be surprised if nothing has happened with MacArthur in five years. Chesapeake Square will probably only be partially redeveloped. Kotarides has owned it for almost three years now and has yet to announce any plans. Their marketing seems to indicate only a partial redevelopment. Greenbrier will certainly be interesting to see what unfolds. I don’t think losing Sears hurt it so much as not losing Sears sooner did. It’s future will depend on whether Seritage can do something with that box and what happens with CBL in bankruptcy. Lynnhaven is certainly the best positioned to continue operating without significant changes. I find Pembroke’s future the most interesting and appreciate the inside scoop you’ve been able to provide. They’ve done an excellent job staying relevant despite the true mall portion languishing. Long-term they’ll all get redeveloped but I’m pessimistic about the timeline.

I agree on all counts. Our predictions as to the time frames, scales and scopes of these projects are merely best (educated) guesses at this point and are of course always subject to changing market conditions. Change is the only true constant. However, we can certainly identify specific trends with a reasonable degree of confidence. 

I know that Wegmans would like to be in Greenbrier/Battlefield. They did somewhere in the $65,000,000 range at Town Center in their first year and have always had plans for more than one unit in South Hampton Roads. Kroger Marketplace already landed over there. Unfortunately, that traffic situation is a total nightmare. Ingress/egress at the mall is messy. You’re right about Sears though. It’s less of a double-edged sword than one would think at first glance. I know that Mr. Smith was happy to get rid of them at Pembroke, as it would theoretically accelerate his redevelopment timeline. Same goes for Greenbrier.  

I’ve always thought that Chesapeake Square was a bit of a dog. Was surprised Kotarides was the buyer. They keep saying they’ve got a plan, but like you said we don’t know what it is exactly.

Yes, Pembroke is most intriguing. I think they have done a brilliant job thus far with partially repositioning that property.  In the end, I think they could go in a couple different directions. Complete redevelopment will take many years to unfold, however. Mr. Smith is a patient man, slow and steady wins the race, although he admits that he would always like to move faster!

• 4 months later...