Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 1 month later...

On 1/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, BFG said:

The Granby location stays open pretty late, but this is a great addition to help Town Center establish itself as a nightlife option. Although I think the Town Center crowd is a lot different than the people who hang out on Granby.

Meh. I used to live within walking distance. OK slice, rude workers!

On 3/16/2022 at 12:16 PM, BFG said:

As mentioned a couple months ago, Legal Sea Foods is opening its first Hampton Roads location at Town Center. Appropriately enough, it's replacing McCormick and Schmick's.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-bc-legal-sea-foods-0320-20220316-zynu6lcdszbsrec4x4v37mu3bu-story.html

There were people clamoring for Legal Seafoods to come here nearly 20 years ago!

On 1/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, OffToMars said:

According to the Town Center leasing document there are a number of new tenants coming to Town Center including Madewell, Nando's Peri-Peri, and Legal Sea Foods.

Love, love, love Nando's!! 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, metalman said:

Mediterranean restaurant, Mezeh is building out  (and in) at Lynnhaven Mall.  Just right of the main entrance.  They are building out a steel beam overhang in front of their door right now.

Taking forever and ever and ever and everrrrr.....!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, metalman said:

Mediterranean restaurant, Mezeh is building out  (and in) at Lynnhaven Mall.  Just right of the main entrance.  They are building out a steel beam overhang in front of their door right now.

What happened to this? No longer listed on Lynnhaven's website. Still listed on Mezah's. Nothing new in Google profile. Weird. 

Supposedly,  Bonchon is (FINALLY) supposed to open at Hilltop on 1 November.  Three years in the making.  But boy when I looked at their menu for Granby (haven't eaten there in several years) --- total sticker shock! Yikes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Had to go to Lynnhaven mall to pick up some stuff today and it is absolutely bonkers busy. With the so called "death of retail" and malls closing down nationwide, it's seems that they've only gotten bigger and better. Makes me wonder, what are they doing differently that is allowing them to buck that trend, and can it be replicated elsewhere in the region?

I said the same thing last week when I went.  And Mezah is open now.

I’m just riffing here but-

They invested in renovation, they are keeping their spaces full.

They are keeping there store selection relevant and varied in price and clientele, and type of retail provided.  

Mix of entertainment, clothes, products, food, indoor/outdoor.  

A relative sense of safety-they have quite a visual presence of mall security, part time paid VBPD/deputies on foot, mall security vehicles driving around with their orange and green lights, On duty VBPD around.  

There have been some incidents that have occurred there over the years, but, I feel the difference is that I see and hear that they address it, investigate it, take care of it, and management and surround store owners have made some changes to deter indicente from happening again.

People relatively feel safe so they go.  It’s clean and inviting, so it’s nice. The area is full of many choices for people to spend their money and they do.  Success!!!

Edited by metalman
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, vdogg said:

Had to go to Lynnhaven mall to pick up some stuff today and it is absolutely bonkers busy. With the so called "death of retail" and malls closing down nationwide, it's seems that they've only gotten bigger and better. Makes me wonder, what are they doing differently that is allowing them to buck that trend, and can it be replicated elsewhere in the region?

Strong demographics and an institutional owner that can and has reinvested in the property. In general, malls are overbuilt, not dead. Lynnhaven has long been predicted to be the lone survivor on the Southside and that’s clearly how it’s playing out as all others are either closed or dead malls (not counting the outlet mall - that’s arguably a different concept). 

VBTC NEW Restaurant Report:  Went to  Nando's a couple of weeks ago, and it was great, as usual! I ordered thru the app, scored 250 reward points, and then  asked the host to seat me so I could eat inside. No problem! You may also order at the counter. Make sure not to skip the sauces (Peri Peri! YUM! Xtra hot is pretty darned hot) and condiment table along the wall to your extreme right as you enter the restaurant. The drinks are all the way to the left against the wall near the cashiers. Very strange set up for Nando's. I don't like it. However, the interior was one of the largest and definitely the prettiest I have seen in the Nando's (growing) empire. Outside dining scene was grand! If you bring friends, I recommend ordering a whole Chicken (on the bone) combo. which includes 2 large sides. It used to include their scrumptious toasted bread, but now that bread is listed as one of the options for a side order. The menu has grown, too. Lots of bowls and sandwiches beyond the  bone-in chicken. Boneless, too. I will add pics when I have my Android handy.  

Edited by baobabs727

On 4/23/2023 at 6:33 AM, HRVA said:

Strong demographics and an institutional owner that can and has reinvested in the property. In general, malls are overbuilt, not dead. Lynnhaven has long been predicted to be the lone survivor on the Southside and that’s clearly how it’s playing out as all others are either closed or dead malls (not counting the outlet mall - that’s arguably a different concept). 

All true. Problem for me is that nothing in that place interests me, save Dillards on occasion.  I do enjoy AMC (though the theaters are in desperate need of refurbishment), Coopers Hawk, Panera, etc.  Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I stepped in to a new coffee house yesterday.  Colattao in Independence Plaza (corner of Indi. & Haywood). Real cool vibes, a good cup of coffee and crossiant sandwich.  Spoke to the owner and her son.  Nice people. Apparently they just left their normal jobs to open this family run business.  They went to Colombia to find the farm they wanted to source their beans from.  So it’s Colombian farm to coffee house directly.  Forget Starbucks, support local.  The only bummer is that they close at 4.  So weekdays will be hard for me to enjoy.  They are closed on Monday’s.

Best of luck to them.  It looks like a great start for a new business.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HCK HOT CHICKEN! NASHVILLE HOT. A FAST-GROWING FRANCHISE COMING TO VB (ALMOST OPEN @430 N. NEWTOWN RD?)  https://www.eathck.com/location/virginia-beach-va/ 

DAVE'S HOT CHICKEN: EXPLOSIVE GROWTH FRANCHISE COMING TO HR:

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/11/08/daves-hot-chicken-is-expanding-to-hampton-roads-and-richmond/

https://www.fastcasual.com/news/daves-hot-chicken-signs-deal-with-original-franchisees/

VIRGINIA TACO, LLC HAS STARTED CONSTRUCTION ON A DEL TACO AT SAM'S CIRCLE IN CHESAPEAKE AND RUMOR HAS IT WILL BEGIN CONSTRUCTION SOON ON VB BLVD JUST WEST OF VBTC.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, BFG said:

I’m thinking in the strip. Isn’t Ruby Tuesday now a Dirty Buffalo?

No, that RT one is still a RT.  Now, the old RT at the intx of PA  Rd.  and  S. Indy is a Dirty Buffalo.  Oh, and the old RT on Great Neck is a Citrus. LOL. 

• Like 1