Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

I have never seen a Dell store but I too think a good computer store would do well.

They have over 140 locations, but none in Virginia. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if an exclusive internet retail company has no physical presence in a state, then customers do not have to pay sales tax. Therefore, since Dell only sells its products through its website and direct call sales center and not through retail stores like Best Buy, then you don't have to pay sales tax. However, if they have an office, manufacturing plant, or store in your state then you pay sales tax. The states in which Dell has stores probably have a previous Dell physical presence or tax internet sales. Apple, on the otherhand, already sells its products through stores like Circuit City so they already have a sales presence in any state with such retailers. As such, there is no fear of losing customers because they now have to pay sales tax since they already do. The best example of this is Crutchfield. Since they are based in and operate out of Charlottesville, then only Virginia customers have to pay sales tax as long as Crutchfield doesn't build stores in another state. That's why the only Crutchfield stores are in Virginia since Virginia customers are already paying the tax.

they should just tear down the whole theater and all that. I wonder how much business the pembroke theater has to begin with..

My friend used to work at the Columbus theaters back in high school about 8 years ago. At that time, he said Columbus was the worst performing cineplex of Regal's HR cineplexs while Pembroke was the best performing one. Rumors of consolidating the two theaters date to that time. Columbus isn't profitable because it lacks stadium seating, has a massive waste of a lobby (for the number of theathers), and has high rent. Pembroke has a small lobby and low rent. Movie releases are split between the two so they each get their equal share of blockbusters and busts and heance drawing power. I'd assume that Regal has been reluctant to leave Pembroke because they're afraid another chain would takeover that spot. Regal will likely expand Columbus if the mall agrees to tear down the Pembroke theaters after Regal moves out.

Edited by hoobo

My friend used to work at the Columbus theaters back in high school about 8 years ago. At that time, he said Columbus was the worst performing cineplex of Regal's HR cineplexs while Pembroke was the best performing one. Rumors of consolidating the two theaters date to that time. Columbus isn't profitable because it lacks stadium seating, has a massive waste of a lobby (for the number of theathers), and has high rent. Pembroke has a small lobby and low rent. Movie releases are split between the two so they each get their equal share of blockbusters and busts and heance drawing power. I'd assume that Regal has been reluctant to leave Pembroke because they're afraid another chain would takeover that spot. Regal will likely expand Columbus if the mall agrees to tear down the Pembroke theaters after Regal moves out.

That used to be the case and I agree. Now however, I have noticed since Columbus had stadium seating installed all the new hits are going there.. and they do quite a business. And on weekends the parking lot is pretty full sometimes overtly so.

That used to be the case and I agree. Now however, I have noticed since Columbus had stadium seating installed all the new hits are going there.. and they do quite a business. And on weekends the parking lot is pretty full sometimes overtly so.

Oh, they converted their large theaters?

If I'm not mistaken, rumor has that Columbus is talking about expanding to the left and right of the theater.

Yeah, I heard that too a while back but for some reason I am not sure that is still to be. They already have parking issues during the weekends and expanding would only greatly excerabate that problem. Unless.. Bed Bath and Beyond becomes a parking garage with retail which was probably only a rumor as well.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Beacon in the Va Pilot:

Jason's Deli seems to be a big success.

The catering manager says, "Over 60% of our business is catering, by which I mean breakfast trays and box lunches for corporate events or for office employees who want to eat at work."

In related retail news, Haygood Shopping center is undergoing a reno (finally!) and Farm Fresh will anchor the recently shuttered Roses store. Farm Fresh's lease is up at the Giant Square and they will relocate to Haygood later this year. All new facades will be added to the center and the parking lot will be redone with new lighting and landscaping. The owners of the center, appraised at $9 million dollars, are also working with a major apparel store to be located in the central section of the center. Improvements are expected to begin in March.

In related retail news, Haygood Shopping center is undergoing a reno (finally!) and Farm Fresh will anchor the recently shuttered Roses store. Farm Fresh's lease is up at the Giant Square and they will relocate to Haygood later this year. All new facades will be added to the center and the parking lot will be redone with new lighting and landscaping. The owners of the center, appraised at $9 million dollars, are also working with a major apparel store to be located in the central section of the center. Improvements are expected to begin in March.

According to mom, an employee at the new Quiznos in Haygood said that Farm Fresh will be taking both the Roses and Super Fresh sites. It will fill a long existing hole (Super Fresh) and a recent one (Roses).

Tonight I went in Pembroke Mall to check out things and sounds like some interesting things are brewing. First of all though, the wireless hotspot there is hopping! There were probably 8 folks there tonight surfing around on their laptops. In addition, the plasma tvs hanging are pretty nifty as well. With the new hightop tables and stuff that ought to be a pretty cool place to hang out. Cox may look to install in other malls - great concept methinks. Second, the east wall of the food court is going to be knocked out to give way for more food offerings including Moe's Southwest Grill. I asked around and was told once more that Target does intend to come but this time I was told Super Target was coming??!!. I had heard earlier the theatre at the mall might be closing and that would make sense if they have to make way for a huge store like SuperTarget. Personally, I am not a big proponent of those super type stores but I will hold judgement as I have never been to a Super Target before. I wonder how big this store will be? Almost surely they would have to build a parking deck out back to accoomdate all the shoppers at such a large store. I still have not heard when they intend on coming but hopefully sooner than later.

I went to a Super Target down in Georgia and it didn't seem too large to me. It just offered more groceries and that sort of thing that the average Target doesn't. But it wasn't twice the size as an average one or even close.

Is it as large as say the Super K on Holland Road? Sure hope not!

So this has nothing to do with Pembroke but I was going down Va Bch Blvd today toward Great Neack and saw that they have torn down the old Pizza Hut and Bank buildings in front of the Farm Fresh next to the old Ames building. (At the intersection of the Blvd and N. Lynnhaven)... Does anyone know if there are any plans for this site or if they were just being torn down to get rid of the eye sores?

I can tell you one thing is for certain, Farm Fresh has been trying to purchase all of the land from the owner in order to bring about some big changes. The plan is to tear down Ames, build a large brand new state of the art Farm Fresh, tear down the old building, and rebuild either some small offices or more shopping center. This would also be a prime location for the first Farm Fresh Gas station in Virginia Beach. The complications for this though come from this location being so close to Great Neck and Collins Square stores. Also, from what I understand the owner does not want to sell... (Despite Ames has been vacant forever and he is an old stubborn man...) Keep in mind that none of this is official and it hasn't really be publicised that Farm Fresh is interested in this. These are just preliminary plans that could take years to come into being...

Edited by RJWGMU

I haven't been that way in awhile but I am glad to hear the Pizza Hut and old credit union were torn down. That 'stubborn old man' should surely reconsider selling the old Ames store property. It has sat empty for what seems to be 5 years now. He is sure to be losing out by having to pay taxes with little return on his investment. But I didn't realize Farm Fresh had markets with gas stations but that may work there. At least sell the land to someone to build on to keep it from being such an eyesore. I am very surprised it has sat this long.

Well I do believe Ames has been gone for way more than 5 years... I can say that because I have worked at that Farm Fresh for over 3 years now and Ames has ben vacant far longer than that...

While it may seem that he is losing money, I am sure that his taxes on the property can't be to bad since the buildings are in such decrepit shape, but also Ames probably had a 10 year lease or something of that nature and when they went bankrupt they might have just resigned that lease, meaning the owner is still getting money from the bankrupcy. He would have no desire to fill a space if he is making money. With the rental of that space to thing slike Salvation Army recently though, that situation might have changed by now. Yes, Farm Fresh has gas stations in almost every city but Virginia Beach. The gas is like Sams Club and BJ's, where certain things in the store on sale or all items actually have a value that takes off fractions of cents at the gas pump. It is a good system and should be spread to VB.

So this has nothing to do with Pembroke but I was going down Va Bch Blvd today toward Great Neack and saw that they have torn down the old Pizza Hut and Bank buildings in front of the Farm Fresh next to the old Ames building. (At the intersection of the Blvd and N. Lynnhaven)... Does anyone know if there are any plans for this site or if they were just being torn down to get rid of the eye sores?

I can tell you one thing is for certain, Farm Fresh has been trying to purchase all of the land from the owner in order to bring about some big changes. The plan is to tear down Ames, build a large brand new state of the art Farm Fresh, tear down the old building, and rebuild either some small offices or more shopping center. This would also be a prime location for the first Farm Fresh Gas station in Virginia Beach. The complications for this though come from this location being so close to Great Neck and Collins Square stores. Also, from what I understand the owner does not want to sell... (Despite Ames has been vacant forever and he is an old stubborn man...) Keep in mind that none of this is official and it hasn't really be publicised that Farm Fresh is interested in this. These are just preliminary plans that could take years to come into being...

I don't think it's too close to either store. No one really likes to travel far for groceries.

In related news, according to this article (link), the Farm Fresh at Haygood will be 58,000 sqft. Does anyone know if that's the size of both the Roses and Super Fresh sites combined?

In related news, according to this article (link), the Farm Fresh at Haygood will be 58,000 sqft. Does anyone know if that's the size of both the Roses and Super Fresh sites combined?

I was actually over there today and Acadia has posted a large sign with the new rendering of the redeveloped shopping center with the Farm Fresh. It looks like it will take up both spaces and that they are going to be doing some very-much-needed (if you ask me) facade work, but I haven't gotten confirmation on that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be old news to you all in VB ( I don't look at this site as much, sorry). I was leafing through an old (Jan 06) business mag at work and saw that Saks is trying to sell Parisian off. Were there any updates on whether or not it is still slated to come to the TC or not? Maybe they would open a Saks in TC but maybe they may not open anything... which would suck.

This may be old news to you all in VB ( I don't look at this site as much, sorry). I was leafing through an old (Jan 06) business mag at work and saw that Saks is trying to sell Parisian off. Were there any updates on whether or not it is still slated to come to the TC or not? Maybe they would open a Saks in TC but maybe they may not open anything... which would suck.

As far as I know Parisian is still coming. That is interesting though. TC has become such a hub in that area recently that I have confidence if the worst were to happen that they would find someone to quickly fill that spot. I'll have to look into it though.