Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

I could be wrong but it would seem there would be no large pent up demand for such in our laid-back city.

There are thousands of people in VB that could afford those suits without batting an eye. Not to mention those in surrounding cities. It's sad when you have to wait to go on a bussines trip in order to buy a nice suit. The mens Wearhouse is nice, unless your Pat Robertson or someone of his means.

There are thousands of people in VB that could afford those suits without batting an eye. Not to mention those in surrounding cities. It's sad when you have to wait to go on a bussines trip in order to buy a nice suit. The mens Wearhouse is nice, unless your Pat Robertson or someone of his means.

Agreed, this place is wall to wall $500,000 dollar and up homes. I think the market exists and I think the first store to take the risk will receive quite a windfall. I remember posting a retail report that showed a significant amount of our high end residents actually go elsewhere to shop. Why not keep them here? I'm sure most of them would rather be able to stay in town and get the same quality they take weekend trips to D.C. to find.

Agreed, this place is wall to wall $500,000 dollar and up homes. I think the market exists and I think the first store to take the risk will receive quite a windfall. I remember posting a retail report that showed a significant amount of our high end residents actually go elsewhere to shop. Why not keep them here? I'm sure most of them would rather be able to stay in town and get the same quality they take weekend trips to D.C. to find.

Thats what happening is people are traveling to other metros to get their high end clothing. Its about time that we keep them here and gain people visting here.

Wait, with all the local and regional men's dress stores like Dan Ryan's and Beecroft and Bull as well as national retailer Jos. A Bank, does anyone have to drive to DC for $1000 suits? All three are in VB. Norfolk is the one that lacks upscale suit stores so maybe Brooks Bros is waiting for a good entry point to downtown. Again, seeing how Nordstrom does with its overpriced and stuffy clothes, "346" is probably the better choice for this casual market.

Forgive me please if this is a repost, but I have been busy with work and can't read every topic here... Anyway, why did I see on a lame local commercial that the Freight Liquidators building is going to be demolished and that they are going out of business? Was this a gimmicky commercial or are they really leaving Pembroke Mall? If so, what is going in that space?

Forgive me please if this is a repost, but I have been busy with work and can't read every topic here... Anyway, why did I see on a lame local commercial that the Freight Liquidators building is going to be demolished and that they are going out of business? Was this a gimmicky commercial or are they really leaving Pembroke Mall? If so, what is going in that space?

Did you really?!! Please tell me it is true!

Called the mall just now. They said to call Furniture Liquidators so I called them directly. I was told they are not going out of business just moving to another location. They currently have a location on Military Hwy and will take some inventory there and seeking another location as well...but they said the mall is 'ripping down the building' in August and rumor has it a Target is going in. :yahoo:

...but they said the mall is 'ripping down the building' in August and rumor has it a Target is going in. :yahoo:

Man, how old is this rumor?! This is like the Bodo's bagle shop in Charlottesville that had a "coming soon" sign in the window since 1995. Finally, late last year they opened.

Man, how old is this rumor?! This is like the Bodo's bagle shop in Charlottesville that had a "coming soon" sign in the window since 1995. Finally, late last year they opened.

I think that we have all heard this rumor from one person (who is usually working at Target/Pembroke Mall) or another. However, I assume that if they are tearing the building down, there is something already set to replace it. The mall's in bad enough shape as it is and leveling an anchor and leaving it undeveloped would be worse than having it sit there empty. I have my fingers crossed for Target but I thought that I had read somewhere in this thread that it was not going to happen and was basically a non-starter.

Maybe there were problems with the lease but that is just a guess. Of course it could have been anything. But since Furniture Liquidators themselves said the store is being leveled it sure would seem to be true.

It was said in the walmart article that what the area lacks is box retail. Maybe if the target is to come to that site, the city could force the developer of the FX site away from Walmart?!

It was said in the walmart article that what the area lacks is box retail. Maybe if the target is to come to that site, the city could force the developer of the FX site away from Walmart?!

Unfortunately that is not the case, where one goes the other is sure to follow. If target gets in you might as well be ready for walmart.

I must admit I am glad Target is coming for a couple of reasons. 1.) The nearest one is over 5 miles away. The only other choice is the old Kmart. 2.) Although the mall has been trying to upgrade it still has a ways to go. The back corridor of the mall where the Target is going is pretty bare and the few retailers there actually leave something to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but it would seem there would be no large pent up demand for such in our laid-back city.

Respectfully, I am a little surprised that you seem to have missed my point, especially given the heads-up I offered you. Besides believing that we should demand only the very best (that which we rightly deserve), I typically prefer that people tell me the truth--the unvarnished, whole truth. Please re-read my post and then read Ms. Shapiro's article (which she has since acknowledged was conceived in response to my inquiry) linked by erdogs.

Query: Why should it take the blunt market assessment of a corporate executive from New York City to educate us on our own retail fate?! Ridiculous! Ms. Shapiro did a brilliant job of bringing out the facts in a non-confrontational way. The article speaks for itself. The contrast in tone (not to mention in content) between the Brooks Brothers executive and Mr. Divaris could not be more stark.

Folks, this whole thing just fails to pass the sniff test. We were misled. Plain and simple. You may not really care, and that is your right. But let us not seek to accommodate Mr. Divaris' penchant--either by spin or omission--for re-writing history. The printed marketing materials, the promotional signage, the VBTC website, Mr. Divaris' own press releases: They all said "Brooks Brothers." He now says that the "346" concept is somehow better for us. Trust me when I tell you that he would not be saying anything of the sort had Brooks Brothers not rained on his retail parade.

Indeed, he may be entitled to his own opinion, but he is not entitled to his own set of facts.

Edited by baobabs727

I am as disappointed as you in the "346" fiasco, I do not feel we should settle for 2nd best either. That being said, Mr. Divaris cannot be held totally responsible for an outside retailers assesment of our market, and subsequent decisions based on that assessment. I fear that we have a long, hard, slog uphill before impressions of our area truly begin to change. TC was a good start. There have been some disappointments. Retail is not its strong suit and I wish they could've added more office space earlier on, but it has been an overall success. I have high hopes that City Walk will make up in retail what TC currently lacks, all indications are that it will. One hard lesson that I learned in my direct contacts with the Granby Tower folks is that it is their job to spin. Developers will always give you the rosiest picture, you have to read between the lines to get the true fact of the matter. It is only when different sources from different members started to clamour with the same information, that I started to believe that something was up with Granby Tower. It hurts because you expect people to be as open and honest with you as you are with them, but you cannot take it too personally. A developer that accentuates the negative points about his projects will not be a developer for long.