City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

It could be for construction of Constitution Drive Extended?

That's not a tower crane it is just a crane, and it is for construction of the bridge portion of CDE. A tower crane is the type of crane you see building the TCC student center now. It is a stationary crane that grows with the building. The crane you see now is a mobile crane that has a fixed height. You won't see a tower crane on site until you see pile drivers there. Seeing as they haven't even done test piles yet, we're a ways away from that.

The crane is over the creek.. at columbus station at the end of the road.. The crane is to build the bridge not any buildings. the road has to be finished first before construction starts on the Phase II

Per Mark I sensors today, this is true. The crane is also already placing steel into the creek. The green space where the two lanes will go has also been removed. I have pictures that I took with my camera phone, but need to charge it to download them.

• 3 weeks later...

post-20946-12651310066247_thumb.jpgI took some pictures of The Cityview project in progress... Here are updated pictures opost-20946-12651309705347_thumb.jpgf constitution across thalia Creek..

Harry, could you embedd them please as I cant see the attached ones for some reason

Edit never mind, I just saved them to see. Fast progress on the bridge!

Edited by ronsmytheiii

• 4 weeks later...

So what has changed about it?

What was a beautiful and detailed 15 story building has been shrunk to a 9 story building with a lower quality rendering at that. <_<

Though it should be noted that the actual project description calling for two 15-story building hasn't changed......yet.

What was a beautiful and detailed 15 story building has been shrunk to a 9 story building with a lower quality rendering at that. <_<

Though it should be noted that the actual project description calling for two 15-story building hasn't changed......yet.

The Style has changed, but I don't think it has lost that many floors:

Before (count 9 stories from the windows on the right:

3.jpg

After:

Two%20CDE.jpg

Now it does look like a couple of buildings have disappeared from the background, but they were rather short anyhow

Not much of a fan of the fake roof structures, but hopefully this new design will use more brick and not turn out like the Belmont at Freemason (sorry, not a fan or the design)

Yeah its really sad that they redesigned the building into a boring blah development.. I will sure miss the 15 story proposal. I guess things change with the economy the way it is.. They probably could not receive financing unless they changed the design and cost. So they had to drop the height, cheap building material.. I dont even think they should even build this building.. it looks old fashion. Looks like a building in the washington heights area in NYC

I may be with HarryVB on this one..

Forget this project. There's no way to create an urban, walkable district on Bonney. This project is surrounded by marshland, a major interstate, and suburban offices and hotels.

I really would rather the City of Virginia Beach spend more time and resources creating a grid system in Pembroke proper and concentrate on extremely high-density developments on the HQ lot, Pembroke mall redevelopment, FYE strip mall redevelopment. Bump this project.

I may be with HarryVB on this one..

Forget this project. There's no way to create an urban, walkable district on Bonney. This project is surrounded by marshland, a major interstate, and suburban offices and hotels.

I really would rather the City of Virginia Beach spend more time and resources creating a grid system in Pembroke proper and concentrate on extremely high-density developments on the HQ lot, Pembroke mall redevelopment, FYE strip mall redevelopment. Bump this project.

Well they are connecting the road from here to the town center, so I dont think the marsh land will be as much of an issue, especially if they still do the walking paths through the marsh.

While the original may be taller, I never really cared for the look of it. The roof structure made it look more like a 15 story suburban building. I am not saying this new design is any better, honestly the new design looks even more generic. But the plus is that there is still alot of land for the developer to work with and if they bide their time while building this building, things might be able to pick back up in that time for them to build larger buildings.

But either way you look at it, this development will always have that separate feeling from the rest of downtown because of its location, so I think it is more important for the developer to think about its own neighborhood connections within the project than its connection to downtown.

Though I do agree, I want to see VB starting to implement their VB downtown plan and start reworking the streets into a grid fashion and start buying up as much property the city can get its hands on. The more the city owns, the more the city can control with future developments. Actually the city should be trying to buy the old HQ site and the old Krogers site simply to make that area the next phase in the urban growth and to also get that property out of the hands of a suburban developer.

The Style has changed, but I don't think it has lost that many floors:

Before (count 9 stories from the windows on the right:

3.jpg

After:

Two%20CDE.jpg

Now it does look like a couple of buildings have disappeared from the background, but they were rather short anyhow

Not much of a fan of the fake roof structures, but hopefully this new design will use more brick and not turn out like the Belmont at Freemason (sorry, not a fan or the design)

The size has in fact changed. You're looking at the wrong rendering. This is the rendering that was posted after they updated the height to 15 floors on their site.

Cityviewphase2image3.jpg

Well they are connecting the road from here to the town center, so I dont think the marsh land will be as much of an issue, especially if they still do the walking paths through the marsh.

While the original may be taller, I never really cared for the look of it. The roof structure made it look more like a 15 story suburban building. I am not saying this new design is any better, honestly the new design looks even more generic. But the plus is that there is still alot of land for the developer to work with and if they bide their time while building this building, things might be able to pick back up in that time for them to build larger buildings.

But either way you look at it, this development will always have that separate feeling from the rest of downtown because of its location, so I think it is more important for the developer to think about its own neighborhood connections within the project than its connection to downtown.

Though I do agree, I want to see VB starting to implement their VB downtown plan and start reworking the streets into a grid fashion and start buying up as much property the city can get its hands on. The more the city owns, the more the city can control with future developments. Actually the city should be trying to buy the old HQ site and the old Krogers site simply to make that area the next phase in the urban growth and to also get that property out of the hands of a suburban developer.

I mean I guess the project couldn't hurt..

But I really feel strongly about the city going through a period of urbanization in the next 25 years. By 2035, VB should have a real downtown I don't know if it'll ever happen , but before I die.. I'd love to see Virginia Beach have a downtown amongst the Atlanta's, Dallas's , Pittsburgh's, Baltimore's, of the world.

Yeah its really sad that they redesigned the building into a boring blah development.. I will sure miss the 15 story proposal. I guess things change with the economy the way it is.. They probably could not receive financing unless they changed the design and cost. So they had to drop the height, cheap building material.. I dont even think they should even build this building.. it looks old fashion. Looks like a building in the washington heights area in NYC

First of all sorry to Vdogg... did not mean to up set you with my lack of rendering memory. One thing to remember is that this si just a rendering, we hhavent heard anything official. Could be someone just got lazy or proposed to shorten it but didn't, after all the old renderings are still there.

I actually hope the facade on this building comes out like Washington Heights, simple lines and good materials can do wonders:

03165th-stnicholassw.jpg

edit: Also, remember there was going to be a second building in the 10-15 story phase, so all is not lost!

Edited by ronsmytheiii