City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

"

A new project is being proposed for an empty lot at the edge of Town Center that could bring a hotel tower, apartments, offices and possibly retail with the help of $10 million in city money.

The City Council will be briefed tonight on CityView Two, a 23-acre development with four buildings and a parking garage planned for the corner of Constitution Drive and Bonney Road.

Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc., which owns and is developing the property next to Thalia Creek, would pay $62 million toward the project, according to the proposal. The city, through the Virginia Beach Development Authority, would reimburse the developer for real estate taxes paid – a maximum of $10.2 million overall.

The public money would come through after the first part is completed.

That entails building a six-story mixed-use tower with around 13,500 square feet of office space and 64 apartments; an eight-story building with 138 apartments; and a seven-level parking garage. The developer would own and maintain the garage, but parking would be open to the public as in other Town Center garages.

The second part includes plans to build a three-story, 24,000-square-foot commercial tower. In a third phase, a five- to six-story hotel building with as many as 120 rooms would be the final structure to be built.

Heatwole said it was too early to discuss possible tenants but that the hotel would be similar to a Hilton Garden Inn.

"
Interestingly enough, it appears the apartment building has grown in scope. The above article called for 138 apartments. The most recent one calls for 220 with parking on the first two floors. They appear to have crept back in to the 10-15 story range after originally reducing the height to 8. Between this and the new hotel the hotel Pembroke area is going to start to look very urban.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand this money is not coming from the general coffers, it's coming from revenues that will be generated directly by this project in the future. Seems fair to me. If we don't incentivize, surely someone else will. 

I suppose that if Abbott had been in charge these last 20 years, we wouldn't have Town Center. ETC.

Also love how she conflates millennial-friendly with millennial-endorsed/approved. These dwellings are millennial-friendly because they offer the amenities, lifestyle, design and location that millennials desire. It's irrelevant whether millennials will approve of or otherwise endorse the morality of the funding mechanism (and that is certainly not what the marketing materials intended to imply, lmao), for I doubt that any potential future millennial prospect of CW2 will consider said mechanism when deciding whether or not to live there.

Finally, I find it somewhat offensive that she believes that she is somehow uniquely qualified to judge who is of "above average means" (or that she believes that she should be segregating people by class) and then seek to discriminate against a particular  group deemed to be unworthy,  consequently determining who should and should not receive government incentives that are ostensibly open and available to all entities whose applications meet the basic qualifications of the program.

Are many developers wealthy? Yes. But many of them have also gone bankrupt more than one time in their lives, for they have taken major risks. Thank God that with risk sometimes also comes reward.  But nothing is guaranteed. 

Oh, and of course there's also the notion that most of us have never gotten a job from a person of "below average means."

• 1 month later...

I am more than a bit confused as to the city's planning process. Apparently, a preliminary concept plan has been submitted for review. This is surprising to me, seeing as this is already been through the planning process and been approved by city council. Are there more revisions yet to come?  This should be interesting.

https://citizenaccess.vbgov.com

I believe it's the developer filing the site plan which would be an indication they're moving ahead with the process. The site plan that goes before planning commission and council is not final and the final plan must be submitted before construction permits are issued. This is my understanding of the process. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, vaceltic said:

Isn't the hand sketch rendering they are using on the website from 1999? I wish there was an updated concept!

Looking over that site, I wouldn’t be surprised. They still have a rendering for Avondale Apartments, which opened around 2006. 

2 hours ago, BFG said:

Looking over that site, I wouldn’t be surprised. They still have a rendering for Avondale Apartments, which opened around 2006. 

Avondale is supposed to get another 190(?) units built. It came up in planning a few months ago but I didn't think it was worthy of a post. 

• Like 1

From Ripley Heatwole's Facebook:

Whats coming for Ripley Heatwole Properties?

CityView At Town Center (Phase Two)
Virginia Beach, VA

CityView at Town Center is a 24 acre mixed-use project in the Central Business District of Virginia Beach. Approximately one half of this acreage is protected tidal wetlands and Thalia Creek. The undisturbed natural environment creates a picturesque setting at the doorstep of the Virginia Beach Town Center. CityView is a truly unique opportunity to live, work, and play in the heart of the City.

Additionally, CityView is located along the Thalia Creek Greenway, which will be a series of walking paths and timber bridges meandering beside and spanning Thalia Creek. The Greenway is a natural outdoor amenity connecting directly to the Town Center via a public pedestrian trail system. CityView is also a short walk from the Town Center mass transit station, to be located at the intersection of Constitution Drive and Columbus Street.

The first phase of CityView, Midtown at Town Center, is a 196 unit apartment community which was completed in 2009. Midtown consists of 3 apartment buildings and an adjacent parking garage connected via elevated pedestrian bridges.

Amenities include a soaking pool and cabana located on top of the parking garage, a modern clubroom, and patio with multiple grilling stations and a fire pit.

Construction on the Second Phase of CityView at Town Center is scheduled to begin in 2017, and will include over 200 apartment homes, 10,000 – 25,000 square feet of commercial space, and approximately 115 hotel rooms. All uses will share a central parking facility.

A Third Phase of CityView at Town Center will be developed in the future. #LoveWhereYouLive www.ripheat.comIMG_1760.thumb.JPG.84e4b3e0c37c0313647b00815b76af4a.JPG

21 hours ago, 23320 said:

From Ripley Heatwole's Facebook:

Whats coming for Ripley Heatwole Properties?

CityView At Town Center (Phase Two)
Virginia Beach, VA

CityView at Town Center is a 24 acre mixed-use project in the Central Business District of Virginia Beach. Approximately one half of this acreage is protected tidal wetlands and Thalia Creek. The undisturbed natural environment creates a picturesque setting at the doorstep of the Virginia Beach Town Center. CityView is a truly unique opportunity to live, work, and play in the heart of the City.

Additionally, CityView is located along the Thalia Creek Greenway, which will be a series of walking paths and timber bridges meandering beside and spanning Thalia Creek. The Greenway is a natural outdoor amenity connecting directly to the Town Center via a public pedestrian trail system. CityView is also a short walk from the Town Center mass transit station, to be located at the intersection of Constitution Drive and Columbus Street.

The first phase of CityView, Midtown at Town Center, is a 196 unit apartment community which was completed in 2009. Midtown consists of 3 apartment buildings and an adjacent parking garage connected via elevated pedestrian bridges.

Amenities include a soaking pool and cabana located on top of the parking garage, a modern clubroom, and patio with multiple grilling stations and a fire pit.

Construction on the Second Phase of CityView at Town Center is scheduled to begin in 2017, and will include over 200 apartment homes, 10,000 – 25,000 square feet of commercial space, and approximately 115 hotel rooms. All uses will share a central parking facility.

A Third Phase of CityView at Town Center will be developed in the future. #LoveWhereYouLive www.ripheat.comIMG_1760.thumb.JPG.84e4b3e0c37c0313647b00815b76af4a.JPG

Is this a fancy way of saying bus stop or possibly something else? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BFG said:

Town. Center. Mass. Transit. Station. In a city that voted not to extend mass transit there. 

Thank you for my laugh of the day!

I don't mean to salt the wound, but Portland is literally in the process of planning it's 6th light rail line. I can't, well I can, believe that VB would have shot down a simple light rail line that would have just run down the center of the city. Had Virginia been like normal states that have counties and cities that can work together, it would have been easier to get things like light rail because you wouldn't have the massive city of VB, you would of had VB the resort, Pembroke as a modern uptown city, and maybe a few towns in the county of Princess Anne.

• vdogg unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 4:23 PM, vdogg said:

They are still working their way through the permitting process. Developer submitted their erosion control plan on the 16th. The project is still moving forward, just taking it's sweet time to get to construction.

I posted this a year ago yesterday, and still no movement on this project. Starting to get Granby Tower vibes... If they can’t make this come to fruition, I wish they’d sell the land to someone who can.

First post on this project was in 2005...

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen the site plans for this alot of work has been done. I don't think the developer is pulling out. Back in November the city gave the developer back a substantial amount of comments when they marked the application for resubmital. So we should be seeing movement on this relatively soon. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...