City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

• 2 months later...

I figured that was going to happen. With it's location, I think it was a wrong project for expanding the urban core of the town center, but the plus side is getting the road extended for future development. This was sort of one of those projects that wasnt going to fair well in a bad economy because it was kind of a misplaced project, but during a boom economy no one would of questioned or stopped this development. I know they were waiting for the road to be extended but they might of wanted to push this thing through long before things started to go bad, but oh well, at least the initial part of it is completed and ready for future development to happen on that side of the marsh.

• 8 months later...

It appears this will be the beginning of phase 2. It's been so long since I have viewed this development. It may take a few years for the complete build out but the end result will be quite nice. Here is an excerpt from the developers web page: (click for more renderings)

Phase Two

Currently in the design stage, the second phase of CityView will be a mixture of uses including residential, office, and retail. Phase II will be intersected by Constitution Drive Extended. CDE will extend from the intersection of Bonney Road and Bendix Drive, to the current end of Constitution Drive, located to the north of Thalia Creek.

CityView Phase II, as currently planned, will be a mixture of uses within five buildings and two parking garages. The buildings will range in height from 6 to 15 stories.

The first section of Phase II will contain office/retail and residential uses within two buildings and a parking garage. The first building, Four Constitution, will be an 8 story apartment building, and will wrap the first parking garage on two sides. The building will contain approximately 140 apartment homes ranging in size from 680 to 1,555 square feet, along with a private fitness center for the residents.

The second building, Two Constitution, will be a 10 - 15 story “mixed use” design as dictated by market conditions. The building could contain approximately 15,000 - 75,000 square feet of office/retail space, and 100 - 130 residential units. The top floor will feature a club room, fitness center and outdoor rooftop terrace for the residents. Access to the residential units will be via an elevated pedestrian walkway from the parking garage.

The first parking garage will be 7 stories with approximately 450 parking spaces. An urban garden, resort-style pool, and cabana will be located between the garage and Two Constitution.

The second section of Phase II is located on the western side of Constitution Drive Extended. This independent development site known as One Constitution could contain up to 50,000 square feet of commercial space in 6 stories, with approximately 100 on site parking spaces.

The final section of Phase II will contain office/retail and residential uses within two buildings and a parking garage. The first building will be a 7 story mixed-use design, with two floors of office/retail at approximately 11,000 square feet, and 30 loft style condominiums at 900 to 1,000 square feet per unit.

The second building will be a 10-15 story luxury condominium featuring approximately 100 homes. Amenities will include a club room, fitness center, and pool pavilion.

When completed, Phase II of CityView will contain approximately 50,000 to 125,000 square feet of office/retail commercial space, 250 rental apartment homes, 30 loft style condominium homes, and 100 luxury condominium homes.
Edited by urbanvb

• 3 years later...

With the residential boom going on at downtown, Town Center, and the oceanfront I would've thought that this project would have gotten moving again. If there is going to be a phase 2, now is the time. Does anyone have any updates on this? I'm starting to think that this one won't happen.

I have driven a few times down Constitution heading due south a few times to turn right onto Bonney Road. I have noticed there was construction type orange tape on the quadrant on the right. I have no idea though if anything will be going in there. This was probably 2 or 3 times since October but not very recently.   

11 hours ago, urbanvb said:

I have driven a few times down Constitution heading due south a few times to turn right onto Bonney Road. I have noticed there was construction type orange tape on the quadrant on the right. I have no idea though if anything will be going in there. This was probably 2 or 3 times since October but not very recently.   

The orange construction fabric stuff has been up for *months* with no other changes. I would say around 6 or so. When it first went up, they mowed the lot and the one across the street down low and it looked like they were going to start something, but nothing else has happened since.

• 6 months later...
  • vdogg pinned this topic
On June 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM, CrazyPy said:

I'm also glad something is happening, just wish one of the towers were at least 15 or so stories :/

Yeah, I hate it when call something a "tower" and it turns about to be 3 stories or something. :lol: We need to start standardizing some of this terminology when referencing buildings. Tired of getting my hopes up, lol.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Up2313 said:

If the developer is saying that if the garage doesn't get then he might not build the hotel, that makes me think that the hotel portion won't happen regardless if the city helps pay for the garage or not. I don't blame the city being skeptical on this one, especially with the first phase being the garage and apartments on top of that. Hopefully the city will pass on this one, no point in sinking money into a bad deal.

• Like 1

Don't think it's a bad deal, but I do think the developer is blowing smoke about the hotel. Especially considering that there is a hotel that will be built right across the street from there. I don't see the need for two hotels in that location.

I don't think it's a bad deal either, and also feel that this isn't a good site for another hotel. However, I am worried about city council wanting to see a "surface lot" and this project turning into more one with a suburban feel. 

"Abbott agreed and said she would at least like to see what a surface lot would look like. She said she was skeptical that the garage would offer enough spots."

This tells you all you need to know about Abbott. What a moronic statement. It's as if she has no clue that a parking garage is vertical and a more efficient use of finite land. They can stack that thing as high as they need it. Need more spaces? Add another floor. Just stupid. <_<

• Like 1

Just found this article from a year ago. Right there in the first paragraph they mention the $10 million from the city. Moss et. al claiming that they "haven't had enough time" to study it is a bald faced lie.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/virginia-beach-public-private-partnership-could-bring-apartments-and-hotel/article_fb58496e-ea0b-57af-9de7-6ad4ef8cbc0c.html