City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

Thats from January!

Well in Harry's defense, it hasn't been posted b4, and therefore gives us some insight. Namely, that the project actually has financing to move forward. I was honestly afraid that financing was the hold up for this project, but now I know that any hold up is probably for technical issues and nothing more. Still anxious to see some shovels start churning dirt though. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

So, construction is definitely set to begin for the southern section but they're having trouble acquiring property for the Northern section. I wonder what gives? I remember someone posted earlier that nothing would have to be acquired for that section of the project. Judging by the update, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Constitutionupdate-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Project update:

The project was exempted from permit requirements of the local wetlands board on 5/15/09. Final VMRC permit approval was issued in June of 2009. Final plans and specifications (Bid Documents) were approved by the City on July 29th and released to the developer to receive bids. The developer's bid was submitted to the City on August 24, 2009 and is currently under review. Construction of Southern section (bridge south to Bonney Rd) is anticipated to begin in late September of 2009. Construction of Northern section (North of bridge to Columbus St.) is pending completion of right-of-way acquisition.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the residents of Columbus Station East are trying to hold this project up. The land that I mentioned earlier in the thread that another poster stated does not have to be acquired, does in fact need to be acquired. The residents have stated that they do not wish to sell their property. The city may have to move ahead with eminent domain proceedings which is why there is a hold up. The other section however will proceed without delay.

Just a clarification. Property doesn't have to be required, easements have to be granted. The group is fighting these construction easements but once construction is done then the property returns to the groups control.

Edited by vdogg
Clarification

So will phase 2 start at the same time or after the road is constructed?

That is what they've indicated but I have a feeling that while road construction is underway the actual building of the project will not be all that intense. They have stated however that the construction of constitution drive is the official start to phase 2. I'm just happy that we'll have something underway to keep us busy until the gateway tower and aloft start. :)

That is what they've indicated but I have a feeling that while road construction is underway the actual building of the project will not be all that intense. They have stated however that the construction of constitution drive is the official start to phase 2. I'm just happy that we'll have something underway to keep us busy until the gateway tower and aloft start. :)

Well you guys, I have a research lab and parking garage to look forward to (Virginia tech thread)

Extension breaks ground

It's a half-mile stretch of asphalt, but it could bring two sections of Virginia Beach's core business district together.

Beach officials and local business leaders broke ground Wednesday on the Constitution Drive extension project, a $9.4 million road that will cross Thalia Creek and connect the Town Center area to Bonney Road to the south.

"A lot of people are going to go, 'I didn't know you could get there from here,' " said F. Andrew Heatwole, with Ripley Heatwole Co.

Heatwole's firm is developing a 24-acre complex of apartments, condominiums, and retail and office space called CityView at Town Center. The private company and the city are sharing the cost of the four-lane, divided road. The city's portion, which includes a bridge over Thalia Creek and the northern segment of the Constitution Drive extension, will cost $8.2 million, including the purchase of easements, environmental permitting and wetlands mitigation...

• 2 weeks later...

What's new?

Construction on the road will begin in about three weeks and will take about a year to complete. Ripley Heatwole will manage the road project.

So it hasnt started actual construction yet, just ground breaking:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/constituti...each-businesses

I would pace myself with this one you guys, with the amount of buildings and their size this could take awhile to finish.

So it hasnt started actual construction yet, just ground breaking:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/constituti...each-businesses

I would pace myself with this one you guys, with the amount of buildings and their size this could take awhile to finish.

Plus in this economy, there is no need to rush themselves if it doesnt change the costs...the longer it takes for construction crews to start, the longer you can hold out on paying anyone for anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...