City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

Lots and lots of work going on finally. The bulldozers have been pretty quick at clearing that land. They have also erected and orange barrier and there is a construction trailer on site. :)

Google street view shows a trailer, cleared land, and construction barriers as well but not a bulldozer, I think they were already there (not to undermine what you have reported, just wondering how much is progress)

Google street view shows a trailer, cleared land, and construction barriers as well but not a bulldozer, I think they were already there (not to undermine what you have reported, just wondering how much is progress)

The bulldozers (plural) and backhoe I saw were in operation at the time I passed, actually clearing land. Google street view is a wonderful tool but it is not a live update. Trust me, they were there. :thumbsup: If I had a camera I would've taken a picture. (*hint* *hint* :whistling:)

On second thought, maybe I read this wrong. If you're talking about the orange fence and trailer, and not the equipment, you may have a point. The trailer may have already been there, but i'm pretty sure that the fencing to the extent that it is now (i.e. further down the street and encompassing the entire property) was not. The only point is that there is real progress and work going on currently. We're actually moving the ball on this long awaited project.

The bulldozers (plural) and backhoe I saw were in operation at the time I passed, actually clearing land. Google street view is a wonderful tool but it is not a live update. Trust me, they were there. :thumbsup: If I had a camera I would've taken a picture. (*hint* *hint* :whistling:)

Oh I know Google street view is not live, I was trying to gauge how much work is new and how much is existing stuff. Last time I was at the site there was some trees cleared and a construction trailer, but I think that was construction staging for phase one.

Oh I know Google street view is not live, I was trying to gauge how much work is new and how much is existing stuff. Last time I was at the site there was some trees cleared and a construction trailer, but I think that was construction staging for phase one.

now worries ronsmytheiii, we went by it yesterday and saw the same things. trees cleared, can see all they way through to town center now. and the trailer and such are there too. and, for the West Aloft, they seem to be getting ready, looks like, can't be sure of course, no construction trucks yet, but they also have trailers there now. just waiting for that house to get demolished. lol

I am guessing they will probably begin utility work soon, thus meaning actual building construction should begin in late january or early february (unless they have already done that of course.)

This will be quite the urban project to happen outside of the town center. I am not sure if it will read as a continuous urban environment with the rest of downtown because of the separation of the creek and the apartment complex in between, but once the road connects through, that should help with making it feel like an urban section outside of the immediate downtown.

What will really make a great urban neighborhood is if the urban plan for the area south of the tracks along the east side of Indy happens. That will definitely feel like an extension of downtown...that is one of the urban projects for the city that I am really hoping materializes because I think it will have a very unique feel for the city. But nonetheless, I am always excited to hear that VB's downtown is actually growing (something that I wished happened 20 years ago so I could of enjoyed it growing up.) Though the plus side of this all not starting 20 years ago would have to be missing out on Post Modernism, VB could of easily jumped on that bandwagon and built some crappy post modernism downtown, much like the Hague in the Netherlands.

Have to say that it only looked like they were working on the road portion right now, which doesn't surprise me. I would imagine that they are working to get the road done as quickly as possible, to stage equipment to build as well as hopefully providing a second entrance for trucks/machinery to access the build site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...