Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

Sure is quiet over here in the Va Beach forum (looks around and sees no one).  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Been pretty quiet development wise too. I keep waiting for them to say something about the Westin grounbreaking but I still haven't heard anything concrete yet. Also waiting on them to announce that 2nd office tower, but you know more about that than I do. While i'm at it, sure would be nice to get some citywalk references as well. :whistling:

If you guys are bored here waiting for new development news, mosey over to Ryan Ramsey's September folder of pictures (photo gallery) on Richmondcitywatch.com and count the cranes!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah we will like to count on all the cranes that will be up all around HR! In not so distant future we will have 10+ cranes up and going! Thanks anyways dude! :thumbsup:

vdogg, is it just me, or are others having trouble with increasingly slow connection to topics?  In fact, I frequently get the screen saying "Web site not responding".  This has just begun in the last day or two with me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not just you, the problem is site wide and has to do with the database. Admin is currently working on a fix to this and other issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hilltop

To those who come from areas of high elevation, often it seems Hilltop was named as a joke. No way! It is the best hill we have in eastern Virginia Beach, and is a high spot on the crest of Pungo Ridge in our flat, barely above sea level city.

In 1945, Mr. Dean S. Potter built a gas station on the northeast corner of Laskin Road and what is now First Colonial Road. According to his son Gordon, and the memory of this writer, Mr. Potter was the first to call this area hilltop. He leased his station as Hilltop Esso so that no matter who operated it, the name Hilltop would be utilized. Subsequently, the Potter properties in this section incorporate the name Hilltop.

In 1948 just east of the gas station, Mr. Potter built Hilltop Motel, which so far as this writer knows was the first motel in our county/city. This was the beginning of the new concept of replacing tourist cabins and cottages with motels.

If you doubt Hilltop is actually elevated, just look westward from the Laskin Road and First Colonial Road intersection. It is especially noticeable after a heavy rain, even with the help of modern storm drainage system, which was not there when Mr. Potter named it Hilltop. The elevation where these roads cross is actually 27 feet above sea level.

The grandson of Mr. Potter lives in one of the largest houses in "Alanton" in Virginia Beach off of First Colonial Road.

Edited by soloextreme

That's why i go DT Norfolk and stay away from the beach

are you kidding me? when is the last time you have ever been to any of those trashbag tinibopper clubs at waterside. its like you get free drinks all night if you are under 24, have a gay haircut, and have a wife over 200 lbs and have 4 kids all under the age of 4.

its navy central.

are you kidding me? when is the last time you have ever been to any of those trashbag tinibopper clubs at waterside. its like you get free drinks all night if you are under 24, have a gay haircut, and have a wife over 200 lbs and have 4 kids all under the age of 4.

its navy central.

We were talking about Granby St. dude. Mostly squids occupy the marketplace.

We were talking about Granby St. dude. Mostly squids occupy the marketplace.

I 2nd that!

You can also try to hit 21st street or colley ave. for a relaxed/chill time.

its navy central.

Solo, when's the last time you went DT to Granby st?