Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

7 hours ago, BFG said:

Sounds like a neckbeard gathering spot.....

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Up2313 said:

I don't know about you guys, but after all those announcements this weekend from Norfolk has me itching for some news out of VB. I wonder if anything as big will break at the VB state of the city on the 28th. 

I am surprised we haven't heard anything major from the people developing the Town Center. 

19 hours ago, Up2313 said:

I don't know about you guys, but after all those announcements this weekend from Norfolk has me itching for some news out of VB. I wonder if anything as big will break at the VB state of the city on the 28th. 

Wider roads, more busses, a wave park one block from the ocean and 12,000 new one acre residential lots. I kid. I kid.

Hopefully some major job announcements or new businesses. I doubt we'll get much in the way of true "urban development". Jobs are nice though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well said editorial. I hope the city doesn't cut off its nose to spite its face to appease the NIMBYs. I understand entertaining all offers, but it seems like they overreacted here, and I could see Bruce Thompson shying away from doing any large projects in VB for a couple years, esp. if they go for a much smaller, generic pier project.

• Like 1

The city wants to consider building an indoor athletic facility, which could woo events like the NCAA Track and Field championships.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/article_ff7bc2b6-310e-11e8-918f-9f96b4819fcc.html

That sounds pretty cool, but this stood out to me... 

Councilman Bobby Dyer liked it, too.

"We could really become a sports mecca on the East Coast,” he said.

While I think this is great, if you want to bring bigger events to the area (AAU Junior Olympics returns in 2020), fine. But let's not get ahead of ourselves with the "sports mecca" talk. Especially with the arena falling through, and you being afraid to pull the trigger on anything.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

The athletic center was supposed to be a compliment, not the main course.  As it stands I’m ridiculously unexcited about this project. No arena, no pier, no 15th street development. After all the handwringing all we get out of this is another field house? No thanks. It’s embarrassing how low this city aims. The sad part is, even this small project  probably has a 50/50 chance of happening. The only thing I’m marginally excited for is the Dome site. We NEED to make that happen. If we can’t get that across the finish line then it will be painfully clear that the only thing that waits in this city’s future is stagnation.

• Like 1

A Surf park is a good idea but not for that spot.  That site should be home to a beautiful little "real" seaside amusement park with a wooden rollercoaster.  This would attract more locals and tourists than a surf park and would allow the vb oceanfront to compete with myrtle beach.  Seaside parks are in.  Just look at kemah boardwalk belmont park and family kingdom as well as coney island.

Virginia Beach's State of the City was today. Among the big projects:

-Plans to break ground on the biomedical center
-Mental health clinic for post-9/11 vets and families
-Renovations for the ODU Higher Ed center

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_10384162-31da-11e8-a390-f7ee21dc3b32.html

He also mentioned that the city can't let naysayers halt progress in order to become "the greatest city in the world". I'm sure you could make a drinking game out of that phrase.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BFG said:

He also mentioned that the city can't let naysayers halt progress in order to become "the greatest city in the world". I'm sure you could make a drinking game out of that phrase.

It would seem as though they already have: lightrail halted, arena halted, 15th st. Pier halted or at least likely to be not as spectacular, numerous other developments halted. All thanks to the naysayers and therefore progress has indeed been halted. Virginia really needs to rethink their county, town, city system or at the very least HR does because these cities have a portion that want to stay rural but live in cities and it is really holding them back. 

• Like 2

I agree. Norfolk is working on some pretty solid projects downtown and in OV. I get that the MacArthur development isn't earth-shattering, but it gets more people downtown. Just hope it allows for more retail on the ground floor.

VB's developments are pretty safe, even by VB standards, but I do like that they're finally working on the biomedical park. Would like to have heard more about the fiberoptic cables.

Still wish one of the two cities had made a new arena announcement.

The MacArthur Center development is nothing yet but dreams on a piece of paper. They haven't even submitted applications, and they admit that this rendering was hastily drawn-up at the last minute partly at the behest of the Mayor. So he could have something to say...not just to the public, but also to Nordstrom execs.  The mall manager spoke to our civic league a few months ago, and he told us that he didn't think anything would happen to that space for at least the next 5 to 10 years. His words, not mine.  So I'll believe it when I see it. 

That's only one project that was mentioned though, there's still Gateway tower then there's also The Tern, possibly 2 CHKD towers, a new EVMS Building, a cancer treatment facility at Sentara Leigh and some others. Do I wish that there was more? Yes of course I do, I wish there was a major jobs announcement I wish there was another tower, a new arena, that ORF was finally approved for the 2nd runway and got a flight to Europe or the west coast, another cruiseline homeport. But honestly what was announced in the state and the city and in the month or 2 prior were all great things(other than the MacArthur lot but that too could end up being better since it was rushed) that I personally think help the Norfolk and the region. Was it the best it the best year for the state of the city speeches? No but I think there was a lot of good that came out of them at least on the Norfolk side.