Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

I recall reading about the museum wanting to expand and am glad to see some changes. Some of those exhibits have been in there for years and a change is definitely needed. Was the museum planning on building across GB as in on the other side of the street?

The museum is one of the most visited in the state with nearly 5 million visitors a year.

The Ped. Brigde was going to go to the parking lot built across the street.

And if you haven't been there in a while-Similar to the nice brick treatment made to the intersections around Town Center, Kempsville, and Indepence/Haygood, General Booth Blvd at the main entrance has blue brick cross walks. It looks kinda cool.

Oh yea,

They are also building a new and expanded care/emergency/rehab, etc... facility next to the aquarium on Owls Creek. Their current facilty is approx. two miles away near Norfolk Ave. where they had to transport sea water to the building. With the new facility being build they can pump all they need from Owls Creek.

-Baltimore's aqarium is very nice. I think our's can achieve that recognition some day. The potential is there.

The planning dept oks this development? whoa, wait a minute. These are the guys that supposedly should be on the look out AGAINST such development. You know looking for smart growth. Here we have a huge development here of 240 homes on 239 acres - the article says this development is twice as dense as guidelines recommend. I don't care how 'nice' this development it, for one it is HUGE and going to be a burden on schools never mind those 2 lane roads in that area. Things are gonna get even more crowded.

/ rant. It's gonna be real interesting to see how city council votes on this development. This will surely set either a good or bad precedent for future development near the green line.

The planning dept oks this development? whoa, wait a minute. These are the guys that supposedly should be on the look out AGAINST such development. We have a huge development here of 240 homes on 239 acres - the article says this development is twice as dense as guidelines recommend. I don't care how 'nice' this development it, for one it is HUGE and going to be a burden on schools never mind those 2 lane roads in that area. Things are gonna get even more crowded.

/ rant. It's gonna be real interesting to see how city council votes on this development.

I think the city will give it a tough time. The green line has served us well for quite a while and I have a feeling that if this goes through, a dangerous precedent will be set, and the floodgates will open. :ph34r:

Getting back to the Virginia Aquarium talk earlier in this thread, if found this in a "museums and culteral arts operating budget recommendations" pdf. from the city.

Program Description

The Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center (Aquarium) is located on a 40-acre campus on Owl Creek,

just south of this resort area. This 120,000 square foot facility that houses a 3D IMAX

Edited by metalman

• 2 weeks later...

Committee tasked with reshaping Beach image

VIRGINIA BEACH - The Oceanfront does not have a clear vision for its future, and some young adults' behavior is disruptive to tourists and locals, a group of community members has concluded.

Their findings:

Conflicting interests and expectations by visitors, residents and businesses in a place with no long-term vision.

The inability to positively influence behavior at the resort.

An environment that doesn't provide a multicultural experience, where the presence of diverse groups - in age, race and class - creates anxiety.

The group insisted that another obstacle is the lack of a comprehensive development plan for the city and the resort.

story

Oceana is partly reponsible for lack of development but I agree the Oceanfront needs to offer more than just the ocean and bars/restaurants. :(

story

Oceana is partly reponsible for lack of development but I agree the Oceanfront needs to offer more than just the ocean and bars/restaurants. :(

Some of the comments in their discussion section are discouraging as well. :(

Well the city does have a comprehensive plan for that area but is unable to go forward due to the military. In saying that didn't the city approach the military with this plan? I would hope both could come to some sort of resolution so that the city could go forward even if a scaled back type of plan.

story

Hmmm. Gambling and sex shows.

No wait, I got it... An oceanfront amplitheater where we can throw some Virginia Stage Company actors on stage to do tricks with lions and bears.

The green man possie. A 24 piece urban percussion possie that uses PVC pipes and military scrap bought at auction to perform entertaining shows!

Some of the comments in their discussion section are discouraging as well. :(

I thought it was an entertaining article. Straight up quote Cindi Lauper "I can see your true colors shining thru."

They basically don't want young people, blacks, or drinkers. They want old people that rush to all of the stores, buy lots of junk, load it up in the SUV, and leave.

Who cares about the taxpayers that pay money that goes into building the infrastructure so the few business owners can get rich (31st street hotel anyone)?

Hmmm Boycott the beach ! Get all of the locals to go to downtown Norfolk instead!

I wish I knew more about these meetings. If I did, I'd go and record them and post mp3 files of them online.

The green man possie. A 24 piece urban percussion possie that uses PVC pipes and military scrap bought at auction to perform entertaining shows!

Hey, watch it! I am a percussionist who has play pieces with PVC pipes and miltiary scarp bought at auction! :D And I know The guys from "Stick People" down at the oceanfront. One of them is the Perucssion Professor at ODU and the rest of them are percussionist or at least were percussionist at ODU. That's what I did at ODU. Look at my sig.

I thought it was an entertaining article. Straight up quote Cindi Lauper "I can see your true colors shining thru."

They basically don't want young people, blacks, or drinkers. They want old people that rush to all of the stores, buy lots of junk, load it up in the SUV, and leave.

Who cares about the taxpayers that pay money that goes into building the infrastructure so the few business owners can get rich (31st street hotel anyone)?

Hmmm Boycott the beach ! Get all of the locals to go to downtown Norfolk instead!

I wish I knew more about these meetings. If I did, I'd go and record them and post mp3 files of them online.

NO, dont get the locals to go to downtown norfolk. Get the locals to go to town center!

• 2 weeks later...

Aquarium launches public fund drive before 20th birthday

Info given on construction and designing of interior areas and exhibits...

"In place of the older displays will be four "immersive" habitat exhibits with flora and fauna from four areas of the planet. Each habitat will be a type of ecosystem that was present in Virginia during one of four geological eras.

Construction will start after the busy summer season ends, and it is expected to take 18 to 20 months to complete. Opening date is expected sometime in spring 2008." ...

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...y=105979&ran=54

Go read the rest...

These are two links the aquarium developers (Chermayeff, Sollogub & Poole, Inc.) conceptual drawings and text for the expansion.

http://www.csp-architects.com/vamsc-exh/vamsc-exh.htm

This one looks like the dolphin exhibit that was put on hold. But who knows, it could be a current idea.

http://www.csp-architects.com/vamsc/vamsc.htm

Edited by metalman