Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Drove by there the other day and was shocked to see the fence and the rubble pile. They rebuilt the one on Indian River across from Taco Bell. It's all new and hip with modern design. I assume the town center location will look similar.

Yeah, the new mcdonalds are pretty nice. Some have plasmas and water fountains and Wi-fi.

Ok, I know it sounds strange, but I think it would be cool to see a retro-fitted mcdonalds actually in town center. It obviously woundn't do as good as a drive thru model...but I would definitely make a curb-side stop at that mcdonalds as oppossed to the boring suburban style with a parking lot. Grap a snack-wrap and a sweet tea!!!

The point im really getting at, is when will the day come when town center is attractive and sustainable enough to get the attention of fast-food and diners; cheaper food and retail but with more "in-and-out" customers...as opposed to only high-end restaurants and fashion.

What they need to do is move the Mcdonalds into town center...not have a seperate building. they need a diversity with different types of restraunts. Not just upscale.. Noone can really afford these upscale places right now.. I would make sense to move some fast food places into town center. give it a mix.. more people would come to town center to eat, hangout u cant just market upscale diners. you have to market all diners.. Move taco bell into town center.. On main street.. or central park ave.. maybe below the westin.. it needs to be a place for everyone to enjoy... You could have a nice mcdonalds with a plasma screen, internet access with a fire place and fountains....a more modern mcdonalds, same thing with the taco bell..

What they need to do is move the Mcdonalds into town center...not have a seperate building. they need a diversity with different types of restraunts. Not just upscale.. Noone can really afford these upscale places right now.. I would make sense to move some fast food places into town center. give it a mix.. more people would come to town center to eat, hangout u cant just market upscale diners. you have to market all diners.. Move taco bell into town center.. On main street.. or central park ave.. maybe below the westin.. it needs to be a place for everyone to enjoy... You could have a nice mcdonalds with a plasma screen, internet access with a fire place and fountains....a more modern mcdonalds, same thing with the taco bell..

I'd like to see chains that serve healthier food, but not overpriced as it being trendy.

Many of us Americans could use it (me included).

I'd like to see chains that serve healthier food, but not overpriced as it being trendy.

Many of us Americans could use it (me included).

I would like to see a Metro Silver Diner open up there... It is owned by the Silver Diner chain, but it is entirely organic, everything is under $10.00, and I find it all to be very tasty. It is more Noodles & Company/Pei Wei style where you come in, the menu is on a screen, walk up, place your oder, and then they bring you the food and you don't have to tip or clean up. Oh, Noodles or Pei Wei would also be good there...

I would like to see a Metro Silver Diner open up there... It is owned by the Silver Diner chain, but it is entirely organic, everything is under $10.00, and I find it all to be very tasty. It is more Noodles & Company/Pei Wei style where you come in, the menu is on a screen, walk up, place your oder, and then they bring you the food and you don't have to tip or clean up. Oh, Noodles or Pei Wei would also be good there...

Neat! I had always dreamed of a bar or food place that is partially or highly automated. Big robotic arm mixing and serving drinks.

My ex-roomate (moved to Chapel Hill and got married and works for cool tech company) had a robot arm. I hooked him up with the deal.

Old photo:

Image59.jpg

When the garage door was open, people would be jogging by or walking the dog and look in the garage. You could see it on their face.. "WTF, is that a big robot arm!?"

He's still got it. Bought new motor drivers and wrote some cool software for it.

It came from CEBAF (Later known as JLAB, and oddly I ended up working there for a bit much later).

Edited by Telmnstr

• 1 month later...

This has got to be the loudest thunderstorm I've ever heard in my life. :shok: Woke me from a dead sleep, and I'm a very heavy sleeper. Over the past week it's been easy to forget that I no longer live in the midwest with all the bad weather we've been getting. :lol:

This has got to be the loudest thunderstorm I've ever heard in my life. :shok: Woke me from a dead sleep, and I'm a very heavy sleeper. Over the past week it's been easy to forget that I no longer live in the midwest with all the bad weather we've been getting. :lol:

I do miss those thunderstorms....we almost never get any here in Portland.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/no-money-s...wich-bar-closes

VIRGINIA BEACH

For more than 15 years, a small eatery sat tucked away from the growing downtown area.

Despite the competition, the same crowd came day after day, eating specialty lunches and spending time with friends.

But the ever-expanding Town Center finally caught up to the Sandwich Bar on Euclid Road. The strip mall is slated for a complete demolition and rebuild. Sandwich Bar owner Stella Lamm said she can't afford to pay the new rent or move to another location nearby.

"I can't afford the prices in this area and I don't want to move my bar across town where I don't know anyone," the 67-year-old said. "It's just time to close it down."

Man the people in this city really irritate me sometimes. <_< Bruce Smith, unfortunately, got a DUI last night. You would think that the comments on that article would be directed to the story above, but one of the first posts I see is this little gem:

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (aka town center)

Submitted by lowwagecity on Sat, 05/16/2009 at 6:06 am.

I was told by a reliable source that Mr. Smith was really getting an education in terms of being a real estate developer and he was not happy about it. Seems being an investor in Town Center has'nt turned out so well. You all remember Town Ctr. dont you? Lots of empty store fronts, empty condos,empty apts. and empty hotel rooms. Hundreds of low paying service jobs. All created with Hundreds of millions of your tax dollars for the benefit of wealthy real estate developers. Perhaps this might explain a propensity to drink and drive. Maybe enrolling in The illustrious "Hampton University of Va. Beach at Town Center" might help with the next real estate deal. Playing football probably caused him to miss that class at Tech. Last bit of advice: Be Careful when swimming with sharks."

^^^^Really? You know, I made a promise to myself long ago that I was no longer going to respond to the idiots on pilotonline but this one sucked me in. :lol: I just couldn't let it go. I encourage you guys, if you have the time, to respond as well. We can't just have folks throwing out lies and misinformation out there unchecked. It sounds curiously like a traditional VBTA tirade and is probably one of their regulars posting under a different name. Their tirades have become so formulaic that I can pretty much spot them anywhere. :lol:

Also, what is it with this being the main headline? I am so sick of hearing about celebrities and their problems. This thing is gonna turn into Michael Vick all over again. I say leave the man alone and let the system play out. If he's found guilty, he'll pay the price. If not, oh well, lets move on. This is not an above the fold story, there are far more important things to talk about. [/rant]

Ok, i'm done. I promise I won't post again until I've had my morning coffee. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the new McCafe today on corner of Indy and Bonney. I don't eat McD's food too much but wanted to check out the place and wi fi. Turns out the wi fi is 2.95 for a 2 hour block. I ended up paying and relaxing. Kinda cool modern decor but the loud music is a bit annoying. And I was hoping for FREE wi fi. <_<

Edited by urbanvb

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/sandler-ce...e-midweek-blahs

VIRGINIA BEACH

Town Center has a cure for the midweek slump with "Why Not Wednesdays?"

The answer involves free music and entertainment, and the promise of a summer full of enjoyable, midweek evenings for everyone from young professionals to retirees.

"We wanted to make the city's vision a reality," said David Semon, general manager for the Sandler Center. "From June through September, every Wednesday evening we offer free entertainment on the plaza, with great local talent."

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the new McCafe today on corner of Indy and Bonney. I don't eat McD's food too much but wanted to check out the place and wi fi. Turns out the wi fi is 2.95 for a 2 hour block. I ended up paying and relaxing. Kinda cool modern decor but the loud music is a bit annoying. And I was hoping for FREE wi fi. <_<

Aren't you supposed to get free intarwebs when you buy some mcnuggets? I thought food purchase normally got you a code to use the internet?

The internet connection is generally used by the store and corporate to move their own information at night. Then they are able to use all of the excess bandwidth to do in-store public access.

Virginia Beach named best place to buy a house.

VIRGINIA BEACH -- Virginia Beach has been picked as the best place in America to buy a house.

That's according to a real estate website called zillow.com, which took several factors under consideration, including employment, inventory and quality of life.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/storie...k.ced9f142.html

Virginia Beach named best place to buy a house.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/storie...k.ced9f142.html

I just read this article and some of the comments that followed. That "Ethan" sounds conspicuously similar to a certain poster on this board who also uses that name on pilotonline.

What is the point of constantly bashing the area?

Vb named best city to grow up in

The good publicity won't stop!

http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/re...to-grow-up.html

That is great news. I actually agree with the whole section on Va Beach. From the age of 0-17 1/2, there is no better place to live. Great communities and neighborhoods, great athlectics and recreations, great PUBLIC schools, low crime rate in most areas, and of course, the beach over the summer. Not to mention, a plentiful supply of employment for the pre-college students.

Next step, best city for young adults to work in...

95% of the comments surprisingly praised the city.

NGC ranks Virginia Beach #14 hotspots for young professionals in the medium sized city category. First of all, we are close to being in the large city category (500.000) and if we are only #14 in the 2nd tier, that's no where near good enough.

95% of the comments surprisingly praised the city.

NGC ranks Virginia Beach #14 hotspots for young professionals in the medium sized city category. First of all, we are close to being in the large city category (500.000) and if we are only #14 in the 2nd tier, that's no where near good enough.

Rome wasn't building in a day...