Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Interesting article from the pilot that mentions the overarching goals of Virginia beach With respect to SGA's, LRT, and new urbanism (although not called it in the article) Unusually concise and unbiased approach, quite refreshing. The article does bring up a major point though and as such one feel compelled to ask, does Virginia Beach need a redevelopment board?

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/interactive-virginia-beachs-plan-transform-city?cid=posld

The city should most definitely create a development commission. It would be important for the city to create a non political department that main job is to buy land and sites and find the right developers to redevelop them, which would make large developments easier to do and would give the city more control over the redevelopment of these areas by selling to developers that wish to work within the guidelines of these districts....heck, this department should of been created when construction of the town center began.

• 1 year later...

I think this might be typical of almost all local (dying) papers in cities across the country. If you were to base an opinion off the people that post on articles in Portland's paper, you would think Portland was some hardcore republican/libertarian gay hating, whites only city that hated anything that would even remotely use the word "progressive." Thankfully they are a very, very small percentage here and I am guessing the idiots that post on the Pilot probably make up a small percentage of people there.

It is because the people that respond are also dying; just like the newspapers they read.

• 3 months later...

What irritates me is that, of all the cities, their officials are the ones who want to work with Norfolk the least. The other 6 realize that some cooperation is necessary, but VB wants to be independent and try to one-up Norfolk. It's a hinderance on this market when the two largest cities continue this eternal pissing match.

• 11 months later...

I regret to inform  you of the passing of longtime forum member and prolific poster Burt. He was are regular in the Richmond forum but also visited the other Virginia forums from time to time. He had a wealth of knowledge of Virginia history and was a valuable contributor to our community. He will be sorely missed. The members of the Richmond forum have made a thread if you wish to go and express your condolences. Rest in Peace Burt. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/115804-our-friend-burt/page-0

• 2 weeks later...

New microbrewery to open in Virginia Beach. As a big fan of the local beer fests, I always find this to be a good thing. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/california-beermaker-open-brewery-va-beach

There is the concern about other local breweries, but the commenters in the article say it shouldn't hurt too much.

Edited by BFG

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently a restaurant called Jollibee opened recently off S. Plaza Trail. Not sure where, perhaps the Animal Jungle shopping center? They specialize in Filipino cuisine, so I may have to check them out sooner or later.

• 1 month later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/lynnhaven-mall-get-multimilliondollar-renovation

VIRGINIA BEACH

Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach will undergo a multimillion-dollar renovation, and construction will begin next week.

A news release Tuesday said the work would include “an extensive updating of the mall’s interior, including new tile flooring and painting in a contemporary, beach casual color palette.”

In addition, the renovation will provide “energy-efficient lighting, new soft seating areas, new interior signage and updated rest rooms.”

It definitely does sound tacky. Multi million dollar tackiness? I hope not. I wonder if they will do anything with the old Lord and Taylor store? That spot has sat empty too long. I was in MacArthur about a month ago and that mall was so nice and clean. And although I have read about multiple closings I didn't really notice that many empty storefronts. Lynnhaven really needs to step it up. 

Edited by urbanvb

• 1 month later...

Dave and Busters is coming to Lynnhaven Mall. A friend interviewed for the technician role for the arcade and said the offer was $11/hr no benefits. Sheesh.

Also in the news, Red Star Tavern at Town Center closed. Can't pay their tax bill. Is Town Center traffic down?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/07/va-beachs-red-star-tavern-closes-owes-taxes

First Guadalajara, now Red Star. I know the circumstances are unrelated but two bars in as many weeks is interesting. As far as I can tell, Town Center still gets a good Friday/Saturday night crowd. Anytime I've gone out there, it's packed.

Funny thing about Red Star...last night, a friend of mine invited me to an event he's DJ'g there and wanted me to photograph...not even an hour later, I saw that Pilot article.  :P

Maybe the operating costs are just too high there. I think there are special taxes because it's Town Center, and I'm pretty confident the rent is to the max there.

I just recorded an event in Baltimore myself. Took 7 hours to drive a 3 hour 40 minute trip. Grrr.

• Like 1

Maybe the operating costs are just too high there. I think there are special taxes because it's Town Center, and I'm pretty confident the rent is to the max there.

I just recorded an event in Baltimore myself. Took 7 hours to drive a 3 hour 40 minute trip. Grrr.

Or, perhaps, Red Star was just poorly run business. The one in Newport News closed for the same reason.

• 5 months later...

Tonight marks what will be the start of an annual tradition down at Town Center, known as Last Night on the Town. This should arguably be/grow into the biggest New Year's event in the Hampton Roads metro. It's always good to see the cultural side of the Pembroke area develop further over time.

http://www.lastnightonthetown.com/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad the mall is finally getting a real makeover. Although I kind of hate to see the carousel go, I will be glad to see that glassy and dated main entrance replaced with something more modern. And looking at the renderings the new food court will feel fresh and modern as well.