Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

From an article about cities daytime population growth. As you can see VB does not grow during the day.

Which cities supply the commuters? Among those with more than 250,000 residents, Aurora, Colo., a suburb of Denver, shrinks by 51,000 people during the day. Virginia Beach, Va. drops 49,000 people, and Arlington, Texas, 41,500.

Can we say suuubbbbuuurrrbb?

From an article about cities daytime population growth. As you can see VB does not grow during the day.

Can we say suuubbbbuuurrrbb?

I guess i'm confused as to what your point is supposed to be. I don't think anyone has ever denied the suburban nature of Va. Beach. This should not be used to say that Va. Beach cannot and should not urbanize. I really can't properly respond until you elaborate a bit more on your point.

No I'm not saying that VB should not urbanize. In fact, VB should do more to urbanize itself. Like making developers build high density projects not rows and rows of vinyl houses. The point is when VB goes up against cities its size it becomes blatantly obvious that it's a mega burb instead of a big city. Many people in VB look down on cities like Norfolk, Newport News & Hampton because they think they're not even safe enough to drive through let alone be compared to. The point is VB may be the largest city in HR, but it's not the economic hub like many people believe. I live in VB and love this city, but the arrogance that hovers over this place sometimes becomes a bit overwhelming.

No I'm not saying that VB should not urbanize. In fact, VB should do more to urbanize itself. Like making developers build high density projects not rows and rows of vinyl houses. The point is when VB goes up against cities its size it becomes blatantly obvious that it's a mega burb instead of a big city. Many people in VB look down on cities like Norfolk, Newport News & Hampton because they think they're not even safe enough to drive through let alone be compared to. The point is VB may be the largest city in HR, but it's not the economic hub like many people believe. I live in VB and love this city, but the arrogance that hovers over this place sometimes becomes a bit overwhelming.

I hear what you're saying but I honestly think that slowly but surely it's changing. And trust me, as soon as light rail is built in Norfolk and people get a chance to see it in action and all the development that brings, the powers that be in vb will be falling all over themselves to extend it all the way out to the oceanfront.

I think you're right, it is changing. But I still get the, "why would anyone want to live in downtown Norfolk" reaction when I tell them about new condo towers being built.

I get that reaction a lot... that if I say "when I get the money and job to live and work in DT Norfolk", my friends go "oh, so this just seems easier than suicide?" It's kinda frustrating, and then I go off on rants about the developments downtown, but I do think the perception is quickly changing. A lot of people from Tabb (note pride) go to the MacArthur Mall or go down there for concerts or clubs and the perception is really changing at a much faster rate...

I hear what you're saying but I honestly think that slowly but surely it's changing. And trust me, as soon as light rail is built in Norfolk and people get a chance to see it in action and all the development that brings, the powers that be in vb will be falling all over themselves to extend it all the way out to the oceanfront.

I hope you are right cause the only way for light rail to be success is that it needs to take you almost anywhere in this region. I have always felt that attitude towards me when asked where I'm from. Beach people looked at me like I was steal something from them. Cops are the worse there but Chesapeake is catching up with them on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Emporis somewhat updated the VB page... it went from 24 or 25 high rises to 26, but I can't figure out what they added. They updated the Westin (now finally saying it's going to be Virginia's tallest, not just VB's, as well as its construction status). They also have a REALLY great shot of the VBTC under "images". Check it out, it looks great :)

Emporis somewhat updated the VB page... it went from 24 or 25 high rises to 26, but I can't figure out what they added. They updated the Westin (now finally saying it's going to be Virginia's tallest, not just VB's, as well as its construction status). They also have a REALLY great shot of the VBTC under "images". Check it out, it looks great :)

Wow, they really have updated. I think oceans condominius (actually called Ocean Beach club) which will have 3 towers when complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone been to the new convention center yet? I went tonight to the auto show and what an awesome building! I wished so badly I had taken my camera with me. The center is lit up so well at night, light shimmering down the trusses that are on the front of the building. Upon walking up to the entrance I noticed recessed pools where water filled up the spaces. Some of the trusses came down and were bolted into the ground right in the pools.. really cool. Upon entering I found a very comfortable yet modern place. To my right was a huge TV where spectators were watching the game and tons of seating all around including chairs and tables and comfortable foam seating surrounded the sides. As I walked along I noticed other tvs with even a bar open as well. There was a Starbucks in the front of the building whose wall was all glass but the cafe is very easy to miss because the cars displayed blocked your view of the entrances. There were two showrooms to show off this years autos. One was actually quite forgetable (or maybe I didn't take notice enough) but the other was really neat with warm wood pallets covering the walls. The lights above had some neon mixed in with the regular lighting. I found it to be a really neat place all-in-all.

• 2 weeks later...