Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

1 hour ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

It's interesting that Norfolk built a new mall right next to its existing downtown (Macarthur), and Virginia Beach built a new downtown next to its existing mall (Town Center and Pembroke). 

That is funny to think about, both were done to revitalize the areas that are considered to be city centers for both cities.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:10 AM, urbanlife said:

Fair point, though in the US, thanks to urban renewal, most downtowns are surrounded by parking lots, freeways, and then suburbia. I was more referring to the small footprint of VB's young downtown. Which I do understand that it is still a young downtown, I just don't see it expanding too much further than its current footprint when you look at those that own property around it. (I am looking at you Pembroke Mall and old HQ site.) I am not discrediting the second paragraph, that is all amazing the all that has been done. I was referring more to the list below that paragraph because many things on that list I have heard in various forms over the past 30 years. So I have earned my skepticism. 

The Cavalier renovation and expansion on their proper is a no brainer, I am happy that is being done, but I am not surprised. Also I am happy the Hilton in downtown Norfolk finally happened, Norfolk deserved that building, from what I have seen of it, it looks fantastic.

The arena may be one extension away from getting started, but that one I will believe it when I see the construction. I have heard about this arena in various forms, just like I have heard about a pro team. Neither of which I am holding my breath for because I would be dead if I did. I hope an arena does get built, but you can understand why I might be skeptical.

I am happy about Block 9 as well, overall the Town Center is turning out more dense than I ever imagined it would get. It is also good to start seeing a variety of architecture happening. I was originally worried that one architecture firm would get to design the whole area.

The Dome site, I wish they would have left the Dome in place. That way it would have still been a quirky place to see concerts at the beach. I hope that whole area gets redeveloped one day, but I doubt it will look anything like what I expect it to look like.

I am happy you guys have been going strong with keeping this site updated with all that is going on. At this point, you guys are my only connection left to Hampton Roads besides a couple of friends that I still keep in touch with.

Fair points, all. And don't get me wrong, I hear and share your pain. I've lived here my entire life except for 4 years College,  plus 2 additional years. We've certainly been sold a bill of goods more often than I can count, so your skepticism is warranted . Hoping we're turning over a new leaf.  Thinking we might be doing just that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Fair points, all. And don't get me wrong, I hear and share your pain. I've lived here my entire life except for 4 years College,  plus 2 additional years. We've certainly been sold a bill of goods more often than I can count, so your skepticism is warranted . Hoping we're turning over a new leaf.  Thinking we might be doing just that.

I hope so, it would be fun to one day go back and visit there and be amazed at how much more developed Norfolk and VB are. Amazon is looking for a 2nd headquarters in the US, it would be awesome to see them pick Norfolk or VB and build an urban campus in either city like they have done in Seattle.

• Like 1

Sessoms wants to put a project like this at corporate landing? I give up. If you want to build a downtown, then this is it! Amazon has tall buildings all over Seattle, yet this guy wants a college campus. <_< Give this one to Norfolk, they are way more deserving and will do it right.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155767897423793&id=30440628792

I'll give him benefit of the doubt. The campus idea isn't a bad one, but it might not fit Amazon. That's for something like the fiberoptic project. If I never, ever hear him refer to this city as the Greatest in the World, it'll be too soon. :P

I like Mayor Alexander's idea of something near the N/VB border. It definitely promotes regionalism, but outside of where USAA is, I can't think of too many locations they could go, except for maybe Military Circle. 

Also, ORF needs to step its game up big time. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Sessoms wants to put a project like this at corporate landing? I give up. If you want to build a downtown, then this is it! Amazon has tall buildings all over Seattle, yet this guy wants a college campus. <_< Give this one to Norfolk, they are way more deserving and will do it right.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155767897423793&id=30440628792

Oh,  behave. LOL. 

We try not to be ageist, but sometimes it's downright impossible! 

VBTC FTW.  Alternatively, 500 acres adjacent to CBN.  Or DT ORF.

2 hours ago, BFG said:

I'll give him benefit of the doubt. The campus idea isn't a bad one, but it might not fit Amazon. That's for something like the fiberoptic project. If I never, ever hear him refer to this city as the Greatest in the World, it'll be too soon. :P

I like Mayor Alexander's idea of something near the N/VB border. It definitely promotes regionalism, but outside of where USAA is, I can't think of too many locations they could go, except for maybe Military Circle. 

Also, ORF needs to step its game up big time. 

There's plenty of land at Newton near the light rail station. Buy out some of those commercial properties and you could assemble more than enough for a dense urban campus. Sits right on the Norfolk/VB Line too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

There's plenty of land at Newton near the light rail station. Buy out some of those commercial properties and you could assemble more than enough for a dense urban campus. Sits right on the Norfolk/VB Line too.

You're on to something. It would be a trip to have one building of the campus in Norfolk, and another in VB. :P

More importantly though, it sits on the light rail line, and VB would likely have no excuse but to extend LRT, even if they have to be dragged into it kicking and screaming. Jeff Bezos may actually pitch in himself lol...

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think Virginia Beach has a chance for this second HQ (or any other city in Hampton Roads). However, I can see Mayor Sessoms push resulting in other benefits for Virginia Beach, as it puts the city on Amazons map as the company increases the size of its web services (cloud ect) having access to the fiber line is a real incentive!

Plus, would be nice to have a thriving ecosystem of multiple businesses (co-located for the fiber and Amazon web services) than one MASSIVE company. That is how you get a silicon valley.

• Like 2

Silicon Beach...I like it. Hampton Roads is obviously a longshot, but I think this could be the thing that really sparks regionalism around here. At least I hope it does.

For the sake of bringing more jobs, a regional effort kinda like what we saw these last few days is critical. Amazon would be awesome, but there's other companies that we need to look at as well, not just at Corporate Landing, but throughout the city, in downtown Norfolk, out in Chesapeake, etc. We need to get the Peninsula involved too.

Efforts like this will get other people noticing, esp. if Hampton Roads wants to move beyond being just a "military area".

8 hours ago, BFG said:

Silicon Beach...I like it. Hampton Roads is obviously a longshot, but I think this could be the thing that really sparks regionalism around here. At least I hope it does.

For the sake of bringing more jobs, a regional effort kinda like what we saw these last few days is critical. Amazon would be awesome, but there's other companies that we need to look at as well, not just at Corporate Landing, but throughout the city, in downtown Norfolk, out in Chesapeake, etc. We need to get the Peninsula involved too.

Efforts like this will get other people noticing, esp. if Hampton Roads wants to move beyond being just a "military area".

If this can get the cities working together, that right there would be a W. There's absolutely no chance Hampton Roads lands Amazon. But to at least start getting all the cities pulling in somewhat the same direction, perhaps something on a smaller scale may be won. A job infusion literally 1/10 the size of Amazon would still be an actual game changer for the area (not game changer in the way ADP was touted, but something that truly moves the economic needle of the area).

3 minutes ago, HRVT said:

If this can get the cities working together, that right there would be a W. There's absolutely no chance Hampton Roads lands Amazon. But to at least start getting all the cities pulling in somewhat the same direction, perhaps something on a smaller scale may be won. A job infusion literally 1/10 the size of Amazon would still be an actual game changer for the area (not game changer in the way ADP was touted, but something that truly moves the economic needle of the area).

Don't leave us hanging like that. Do tell. What's up with ADP? 

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Don't leave us hanging like that. Do tell. What's up with ADP? 

Nothing is up with ADP. If you take issue with what I said, I think we'd really just end up debating semantics. I consider a game changer something that does just that... truly changes the game. 2000 jobs are a very big development. But those jobs are generally of average wage and there are a good few other employers of the same scale in Hampton Roads as well (GEICO, STIHL, and BAE just to name a few). A development 1/10 the size of Amazon would be a game changer (especially if the wages are anywhere near as high as what Amazon's are apparently going to be). A development like that would be once in a lifetime for Hampton Roads though... if that. But it would truly change the landscape of the Hampton Roads economy.

Well, there you have it. That's all I wanted to know. You don't view the ADP arrival as some type of a false prophet, you view it for what you believe it to be: A big development on the job front in HR, but nothing spectacular in terms of avg. wages. I don't disagree. 

In reading your post, I thought you might be  insinuating that ADP hasn't turned out to be what it was purported to be.  Now THAT would've been interesting, and I was intrigued by the possibilities. I'm ignorant on whether that is true or not. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1