Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

I do not have a good feeling about this...

I feel like Sessoms gave VB the best shot to progress but I, too, feel like the successor will be content with things as is and not push to grow.  As much as I miss home it makes having made the move to Raleigh feel like the right move. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Virginia City said:

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/major-political-announcement-expected-in-va-beach/1128372252

Mayor Sessoms steps down to take a role in Richmond with the new administration. Not sure how this is going to play out for the city. He always seemed like he was for actually making VB into a real city. Maybe he just got tired of all the NIMBY pushback.

Sounds like he finally decided to move to a real city rather than try to turn a giant suburbia into a city.

Hopefully the new mayor will be open to working more with other cities and actually get a conversation going. That’s something the Seven Cities talk a good game about, but never get anything going. 

If the elected mayor comes from the Council, I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 1

Linwood Branch has thrown his hat into the ring, and as far as our interests are concerned, is probably the best choice. Still, it’s going to be close between him and Dyer. You better believe that the anti everything crowd is going to show up, they smell blood in the water. Branch has the backing of Sessoms though, which should carry a decent amount of weight.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_3cf011d2-472c-11e8-904d-9f901c46dc33.html

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, NFKguy2013 said:

It doesn't look too exciting if it's just a shopping center. VB has tons of those already. I just find it ironic that when it's built on the Norfolk side, VB has zero interest in working together. But now that it's on VB's side, they want Norfolk to help them out.

• Like 1

While I was not happy with how VB handled the initial proposal, Norfolk has a lot more incentive to work with VB here than VB did before. Norfolk will get cash from the sale of the land and an additional access point to the Outlets from Burton Station. The initial proposal did not really benefit VB financially other than improved economic development prospects. 

• Like 1

Another pier proposal, this one with a public park along the pier, a hotel and timeshare. I honestly don't know what to think of this one. It seems nice but boring. It doesn't seem that much different from Bruce Thompson's idea, which means VB will probably go with this one.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_0d008f20-59fa-11e8-a727-3bf186f5112a.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

That hotel looks quite tall. Not sure how they're going to slip that one past the height ordinces. Judging by how it towers over the ferris wheel and surrounding buildings, I'd say it's pushing 300 ft. That'll be a hard sell down there.

5afdd508ba3ee.image.jpg

5 hours ago, 23320 said:

Pier 17 Proposal Package

There's some better images in this PDF document. The hotel looks like it's about 20 stories.   

Hmm. Not sure if I like the design or not. It's quite unique, but has the type of modern design that tends not to age well. I like that they try to keep the view corridor. If I had unlimited power and money I'd raze every hotel on the boardwalk and rebuild them on the West side of Atlantic, therefore leaving an uninterrupted view of the ocean.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, baobabs727 said:

so simon is out

On 5/15/2018 at 11:25 PM, baobabs727 said:

Ok, isn't this the parcel that Simon and Nussbaum were going to be working on together?

yes, and yes. and it's a big deal.

also app withdrawal for expansion accreage happened months ago.

though easy to conclude/claim the contrary, none of this was truly obvious nor a foregone conclusion, as Simon execs were still talking about both at grand opening...and beyond. and leasing issues were obvious well before that point.

Edited by baobabs727

VB is REALLY making waves, from VBTC to Lynnhaven to Oceanfront Marriott/Cavalier/Embassy Suites/Other Hotel, Pier, Surf Park....Bio Med, Big Data etc.  And now Film! Plus NO TAX INCREASES!

Meanwhile, all we're talkin bout in my Norfolk is failing Nordstrom, sinking Simon Outlets and HIGHER TAXES!? Come on, Norfolk!! Let's Go! ;-0)

Edited by baobabs727

Norfolk has plenty going on as well. New EVMS Education building, the Sentara Expansion at Norfolk General, River Tower, increased demand at ORF, the Military Circle/ORF light rail extension, new apartments in renovated historic buildings (The Savoy included), the proposed office tower next to city hall, Sentara’s new state-of-the-art cancer center, the ODU Stadium expansion, etc. 

Let’s not start belittling one city just to make another one look good. We all know that both Norfolk and Virginia Beach could be doing a lot of things better. 

Edited by Helium3
  • Like 4