Virginia Beach off-topic

3 hours ago, BFG said:

They're considering bringing light rail to Greenbrier. I think that is a better option, given how much more established Greenbrier is, esp. with the development happening near the Dollar Tree HQ.

Why not both? The only way to bring Norfolk's line into Chesapeake without going through VB is to build an Elizabeth River crossing. If the crossing is built somewhere near Harbor Park or Campostella Rd, I could easily see the line being able to service South Norfolk as it moves south to Greenbrier. It'd help spur development throughout an overlooked area of the city and it'd connect Greenbrier/Dollar Tree's urban development to DT Norfolk.  Two birds with one stone.

Of course that means Norfolk would have to cooperate with Chesapeake by building a stretch of the line through Berkley. But I still think that'd be less of a hassle than convincing VB to build a small portion through their city.

Edited by Helium3
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this video right now! I did not understand the depths of what this man was trying to do for our area until now. He was even flying CEOs in to look at investment opportunities in the area. He i

The expansion of Ferguson Enterprises, which is a plumbing wholesaler I believe but still a relatively huge company, got less attention than ADP but is still a big deal for the region. Probably becaus

Council approved the school buses. Seriously...if they're not considering expanding public transportation (even that goofy Maglev they tried to make a thing), they deserve every traffic nightmare that

Posted Images

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/major-political-announcement-expected-in-va-beach/1128372252

Mayor Sessoms steps down to take a role in Richmond with the new administration. Not sure how this is going to play out for the city. He always seemed like he was for actually making VB into a real city. Maybe he just got tired of all the NIMBY pushback.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, vdogg said:

I do not have a good feeling about this...

I feel like Sessoms gave VB the best shot to progress but I, too, feel like the successor will be content with things as is and not push to grow.  As much as I miss home it makes having made the move to Raleigh feel like the right move. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Virginia City said:

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/major-political-announcement-expected-in-va-beach/1128372252

Mayor Sessoms steps down to take a role in Richmond with the new administration. Not sure how this is going to play out for the city. He always seemed like he was for actually making VB into a real city. Maybe he just got tired of all the NIMBY pushback.

Sounds like he finally decided to move to a real city rather than try to turn a giant suburbia into a city.

Hopefully the new mayor will be open to working more with other cities and actually get a conversation going. That’s something the Seven Cities talk a good game about, but never get anything going. 

If the elected mayor comes from the Council, I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 1

Linwood Branch has thrown his hat into the ring, and as far as our interests are concerned, is probably the best choice. Still, it’s going to be close between him and Dyer. You better believe that the anti everything crowd is going to show up, they smell blood in the water. Branch has the backing of Sessoms though, which should carry a decent amount of weight.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_3cf011d2-472c-11e8-904d-9f901c46dc33.html

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, NFKguy2013 said:

It doesn't look too exciting if it's just a shopping center. VB has tons of those already. I just find it ironic that when it's built on the Norfolk side, VB has zero interest in working together. But now that it's on VB's side, they want Norfolk to help them out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

It doesn't look too exciting if it's just a shopping center. VB has tons of those already. I just find it ironic that when it's built on the Norfolk side, VB has zero interest in working together. But now that it's on VB's side, they want Norfolk to help them out.

They need Norfolk to help because the land is owned by the City of Norfolk.

While I was not happy with how VB handled the initial proposal, Norfolk has a lot more incentive to work with VB here than VB did before. Norfolk will get cash from the sale of the land and an additional access point to the Outlets from Burton Station. The initial proposal did not really benefit VB financially other than improved economic development prospects. 

• Like 1

Another pier proposal, this one with a public park along the pier, a hotel and timeshare. I honestly don't know what to think of this one. It seems nice but boring. It doesn't seem that much different from Bruce Thompson's idea, which means VB will probably go with this one.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_0d008f20-59fa-11e8-a727-3bf186f5112a.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

That hotel looks quite tall. Not sure how they're going to slip that one past the height ordinces. Judging by how it towers over the ferris wheel and surrounding buildings, I'd say it's pushing 300 ft. That'll be a hard sell down there.

5afdd508ba3ee.image.jpg