Jump to content

Virginia Beach off-topic


vdogg

Recommended Posts


John Atkinson is retiring just one year into his latest term.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_89b0b104-ff12-11e8-95bc-078bc590ae10.html

I was going to be nice and take the high road and then saw this quote.

"The council members thought they had it done and I really threw a monkey wrench in their operation," Atkinson said.

Good riddance to this dude. He is single-handedly responsible for keeping this area behind the times when it comes to light rail. I'll keep the rest to myself with this being a family forum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

These surveys  make my head spin. Now, supposedly, our area ranks very high among areas that millennial‘s are moving too. That includes Chesapeake, that rates second in the nation. Not complaining, but I swear I just saw a survey that stated the exact opposite. 

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/banking-and-finance/article_063a8e68-049d-11e9-a24e-0f2ad20107a3.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

This is from a couple months ago, but the Virginia Beach City FC soccer team moved up from semi-pro to a professional level in the NPSL. The articles kinda confuse me in terms of what this entails, but it is good to see soccer taking off here.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-city-fc-soccer-team-to-go-from-semi-pro-to-pro-in-2019/1623202041

https://www.soccerwire.com/notes/virginia-beach-city-fc-to-upgrade-from-semi-pro-to-pro-level-in-2019/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BFG said:

This is from a couple months ago, but the Virginia Beach City FC soccer team moved up from semi-pro to a professional level in the NPSL. The articles kinda confuse me in terms of what this entails, but it is good to see soccer taking off here.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-city-fc-soccer-team-to-go-from-semi-pro-to-pro-in-2019/1623202041

https://www.soccerwire.com/notes/virginia-beach-city-fc-to-upgrade-from-semi-pro-to-pro-level-in-2019/

Essentially, they're just paying their players who aren't in college.  In the past, they 'signed' pro players, but didn't pay them.  Lower division soccer in the USA is complicated. It's a mix of amateur clubs, pro clubs, and minor-league feeder teams  to MLS clubs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like the "Something in the Water" festival is closer to becoming a thing, April 24-26. This is great news, and gives VB a chance to really shine as a vacation destination for young adults. IMO, entertainment options for people from say, 18-40 is really lacking.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/something-in-the-water-virginia-beach-to-discuss-festival-plans/291-08938b8d-fdb8-4037-8007-8625f71d33e4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, BFG said:

Lineup revealed. Pharrell (not surprisingly) brought some major acts, including natives Missy Elliott and Pusha T. I'm very excited for this.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/entertainment/pharrell-anounces-line-up-for-something-in-the-water-festival/291-852b1b10-4667-42e0-b0b4-ef493111e60a

Thanks for linking to 13 news. The comments section on the pilot article on this is just cancerous. I’m really hoping all goes well if for no other reason than to shut the naysayers up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, BFG said:

Lineup revealed. Pharrell (not surprisingly) brought some major acts, including natives Missy Elliott and Pusha T. I'm very excited for this.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/entertainment/pharrell-anounces-line-up-for-something-in-the-water-festival/291-852b1b10-4667-42e0-b0b4-ef493111e60a

That is awesome, I still remembering seeing Missy Elliott preform as a high school teenager at a battle of the bands show that a friend's band played in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, vdogg said:

Thanks for linking to 13 news. The comments section on the pilot article on this is just cancerous. I’m really hoping all goes well if for no other reason than to shut the naysayers up.

Unfortunately, tonight's 13News article had some NIMBYs at the meeting. "I really would like to remind you that it's not the function of this body to provide entertainment for people or to throw them parties. There are better uses for this money," commented a man at the meeting. The money came from the tourism fund...I'm pretty sure providing entertainment and throwing parties is literally why a tourism fund exists.

They didn't name names, but assuming they're living close to where all this will happen, I'd like to know what these people expected when they decided to move to a beachfront community.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/virginia-beach-city-council-votes-to-sponsor-something-in-the-water-festival/291-471ddb51-da61-42d1-a871-357b719c757b

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was reading similar comments on Councilwoman Abbott’s page. They all complained in years past about the city not doing anything and now that something is being done…they complain. Interesting that I’ve never heard any complaints about Beach Street USA. Might have something to do with the demographics…

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or 4th of July, or Labor Day, or Memorial Day, or the surfing championships, or the sand soccer tournament... But this one event is the one they complain about tourism dollars going to. Can’t quite place my finger on why that is...-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.