Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:33 AM, BFG said:

That’s awesome, but traffic is gonna be insane! If only they had some form of transportation to deliver guests. A light train, perhaps, that runs along a rail from Norfolk...

But then they could stay in Norfolk and we would loose the hotel tax dollars. Oh and you have to remember that would bring in that bad element from Norfolk :tw_smirk:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

State of the City had no new developments to announce. Dyer played Pharrell’s video for the Dome Site & stated his support for the proposal. He conducted a few surveys with the crowd, including a list of about two dozen projects asking the attendees to select which ones were PPPs. They all were. He talked a lot about small businesses and his goal to create a healthy environment for them. Nothing to get excited about. 

• Like 1

The pilot has an article on the state of the city address. As 23320 stated above no new developments and nothing really exciting. But hopefully Dyer does keep his pro development attitude that he's had since becoming mayor and does embrace the business community as he stated. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_9fbd5036-4a96-11e9-a891-5f0459257b94.html

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:10 AM, urbanvb said:

About 32,000 seats have been sold for Pharrell’s event and Oceanfront hotels are nearly sold out. :yahoo:

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/festivals/article_c6adbe10-44d8-11e9-a800-5bc118f74edb.html

Just added Chris Brown. 

Seeing what is going on in South Beach right now...hope we aren't in for the same. Buckle up VB...

I truly do hope and pray this works out for VB and HR. 

Edited by Willy18
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, Cjnfkvb said:

As long as he doesant say "nor"FOLK"", im alright with it. It still trips me up, when I hear people say norfick. I get that yall want to stay pc, but where does the "I" come from.

I've lived here my entire life and so has my family and everyone I know says it with an "I", no PC intent. 

Apparently, this is not an April Fool's prank. City council plans to vote tomorrow on whether to use school buses to transport concertgoers to the main stage. The article says the festival would pay the city, but people are still outraged.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/festivals/article_3e457104-5251-11e9-b3b1-676b566f59ab.html

To me, it's just really, really random, assuming it's real. The decision to not go with light rail in 2016 is going to haunt them for a long time.

• Like 2

Again, all of this would have been a non-issue if they would have extended LRT to the OF. Then create north/south transfer station at Pacific and whatever for BRT. Have the BRT run the loop down Pacific and up Atlantic with multiple stops/stations along the way. Would look and feel better planned out and more upper tier city planning.

Just like Amazon...we offered a sand castle. For a huge festival that could put VB on the entertainment map...we offer school buses.  

• Like 2

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_3600189a-56e9-11e9-82f4-0725babfd31e.html

Winslow, who is also director of Smithfield and Isle of Wight tourism, said the festival is "gaining huge interest and will be a major booking weekend."

As head of the tourism alliance, she reached out to members of the group — which includes localities from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach and the Eastern Shore — to hear how it's impacting them. The region's 37,000 total hotel rooms should be nearly sold out by the time of the festival, she said.

"I think it's going to be a real good weekend," Winslow said.

At the Oceanfront, Russell Lyons, president of the Virginia Beach Hotel Association, already said he thinks this is the fastest an event has sold out the market. And as it approaches, localities further away are starting to feel more of the benefits. Even in Smithfield, which Winslow described as more of a getaway location, is already seeing a bump in bookings. 

:shok:

• Thanks 1

Hopefully it's a very well put together event and doesn't garner any negative attention making it a yearly event in order to boost up the region. This may be wishful thinking but maybe even put it near to if not on par with SXSW in Austin. If it is able to become something similar to SXSW it will be a major boon for the region for sure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't attend SITW, mainly because of the fear of traffic, but from every picture and video I saw, it was a calm, peaceful, but most importantly, amazing experience. I don't think I've read one bad thing, even with the weather issues on Friday. And from everything I've seen, it looks like yesterday more than made up for the cancellation on the first day.

This really could take Virginia Beach and the region to the next level culturally, and provide that shot in the arm the nightlife needs. Nice work, Pharrell and the City of Virginia Beach!

• Like 2