Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Something in the water was a game-changer for Virginia Beach. I've never experienced anything like that in this city. I didn't attend the festival itself but I was down there in the area and everything was calm and everybody was having fun. The free concert at the 19th Street dome area was awesome. I think Pharrell really put us on the map with this one, here's hoping they continue

• Like 3

So I heard and bare with me because it may just be a rumor but I heard that Pharrell and the rest of the organizers have offered a contract  to make it an annual thing if everything goes well and if the city agrees. That being said from my perspective being in Texas following the news, hearsay from friends, and family it was great and went without a hitch so the city would be foolish not to sign the contract. If they do I'll definitely put in leave for next year in order to attend. 

Edited by Urbanlooker

It's amazing what happens when you give people something to  do.  Beach Week has always been horrible because, honestly, this area is boring and you get a bunch of young adults in one area and the only thing to do is drink, bad things happen. Putting on a large concert/festival during it and now those drunk people have things to do that doesn't include destroying crap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SITW Rolling Stone Article

Very positive national coverage from Rolling Stone. SITW is going  to have a big impact beyond just this weekend. The festival becoming an annual thing hopefully encourages some developments to move forward - the pier redevelopment, more hotels, and especially the Atlantic. The goodwill earned by Pharrell will be critical when the time comes for the surf park’s final approval. 

• Like 4

I am so thankful that everything went great!!! This is a huge boost to our image and economy. If VB or Norfolk could get an arena off the ground, Friday would have still went on without any issues. Though, we will probably never have an arena that will hold 50K-80K but SITW wouldn't have lost a day of entertainment. 

Edited by Willy18
  • Like 2

No hyperbole, but it's amazing how, in 48 hours, a music festival completely transformed this region. I haven't seen a single negative comment, not even from the NIMBYs, who I'm sure have a nice plate of crow in front of them. I saw a couple jokes when Friday got rained out, but Saturday erased all of that.

My Facebook and Instagram timelines are loaded with people grateful to Pharrell and the City of VB for not only pulling this off, but bringing together people from all walks of life. This wasn't just a festival for Virginia Beach, it was for Tidewater/Hampton Roads, as well as the Commonwealth, and Pharrell even said as much. This could really be the first step towards true regionalism, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Look at this video right now! I did not understand the depths of what this man was trying to do for our area until now. He was even flying CEOs in to look at investment opportunities in the area. He is a real gift. This news report makes Va. Beach look real good.

Amazing! His backstory is everything! Such vision, spirit and energy! Would we could package it and feed it to the region's lethargic, myopic and lackluster leaders! :tw_smile:

• Like 2

Pharrell is about to raise the bar for this area. In five years, people will be more aware of what VB and the 757 has to offer. He may even be able to get the discussion started about working as one unit, and not just a bunch of cities.

That NCAA talk may help accelerate the arena discussion in Norfolk.

• Like 1

A nice editorial from the Pilot that says what we've said all along: this area has so much untapped potential.

https://pilotonline.com/opinion/editorial/article_63257e6c-6c49-11e9-b521-271d10665a21.html

"Perhaps Something in the Water can be the catalyst for that change to truly take hold. Williams showed what this area can accomplish when it is determined, committed and united, and he says the festival will return, bigger and better, next year."

Pharrell Williams for regional mayor/president/leader! :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m getting concerned about the crime at the oceanfront (and crime in general recently). It has not been a good month for Va. Beach. I think we’ve had 3 or 4 shootings at the oceanfront in the past week alone (the last of these shootings having been overshadowed by the massacre at the municipal center). After SITW, we were riding high. I thought it was going to be a great summer for our city. It just hurts my heart to see how things have turned out, I’m hoping we can turn this around fast. It seems we’re in the national news a lot recently, and not for good things. Big city problems without the big city benefits... On a side and unrelated note, I don’t know if it’s just me but I swear traffic has been a lot worse lately. It seems like at all times during the day you’re just bound to get into at least one traffic jam, and independence has been bonkers lately.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

VBDA PowerPoint

The Development Authority had a busy morning. Aside from approving the Dome Site plan, they also approved incentive packages for growing businesses. 

-DOMA Technologies is expanding into a larger, existing facility and will add 300 new jobs. 

-Inmotion Hosting is consolidating into the soon to be former Stratford University building on Independence & will add 50 new jobs. 

-G2 Ops is expanding within their current location and will add 10 new job. 

-Briefed on sale of land within the Innovation/Bio Park to YNOT for their corporate offices, which were previously planned at the same intersection but adjacent to their restaurant. Plans appear to be consistent with the previous proposal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Virginia Beach economy was roaring last year, we were 2nd in the state behind Fairfax and had a stunning number of startups. I think this is directly related to our push into biotech and data centers and the landing of those high speed cables.

71DDAB26-11C3-4420-977F-33C911D0FC62.png