Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Rouse is running for mayor. I will say, Dyer has done a surprisingly good job and didn’t turn out to be the catastrophe that I expected. I would not be upset if he were re-elected. That said, I really like some of the things Rouse is saying here.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/rouse-announces-run-for-virginia-beach-mayor/291-eec6415f-ffc3-4273-8a2c-64fee3b36231

“Specifically, Rouse said he wants to attract a young professional workforce to Virginia Beach. He said he's frustrated when city leadership fails to execute big ideas.

"I can no longer just sit on the sidelines and watch our city basically stay stagnant and not take those bold approaches to technology, paying public servants, affordable housing, transportation, and attracting and retaining the next generation of workforce," Rouse said.”

On 2/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, vdogg said:

Rouse is running for mayor. I will say, Dyer has done a surprisingly good job and didn’t turn out to be the catastrophe that I expected. I would not be upset if he were re-elected. That said, I really like some of the things Rouse is saying here.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/rouse-announces-run-for-virginia-beach-mayor/291-eec6415f-ffc3-4273-8a2c-64fee3b36231

“Specifically, Rouse said he wants to attract a young professional workforce to Virginia Beach. He said he's frustrated when city leadership fails to execute big ideas.

"I can no longer just sit on the sidelines and watch our city basically stay stagnant and not take those bold approaches to technology, paying public servants, affordable housing, transportation, and attracting and retaining the next generation of workforce," Rouse said.”

Virginia Beach and Hampton Roads has to convince young people to move to the region over choosing Northern Virginia.

• Like 1

This post by John Moss tells you all you need to know about his attempts to block every development in Va. Beach. Stated, matter of factly, he hates urbanization and wants to maintain VB's suburban quality. Well, at least he's honest.

I really wish VB would go back to being Princess Anne County. I’m tired of this overgrown suburb pretending to be a city and furthermore crapping on Norfolk in its straw man arguments. You have nearly 500,000 people. Act like it. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

Virginia Beach is at least considering, but nothing set in stone yet. I imagine they eventually err on the side of caution and postpone.

https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/festivals/vp-nw-something-in-the-water-0313-20200312-mowwhz7yzvgdrdag3ll7zau7g4-story.html

I'm sure the naysayers can't wait to celebrate yet another delay that's out of Pharrell's control.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, BFG said:

I really wish VB would go back to being Princess Anne County. I’m tired of this overgrown suburb pretending to be a city and furthermore crapping on Norfolk in its straw man arguments. You have nearly 500,000 people. Act like it. 

The metro would have been better off not doing all those mergers in the 60s, a city like Virginia Beach would have grown into being 2-3 cities, with Virginia Beach being the oceanfront, maybe a town of some sort out of the Chick's Beach area, and probably the Pembroke area becoming its own city. This would have helped Norfolk stay the focal point of the metro, but the surrounding towns could have better governed themselves without being held back by people in other parts of the area that are extremely anti growth. A guy like this could have easily just been a County Commissioner and saying the county will block any new growth while not having an impact on the cities in the metro that did want to grow. 

I might have also created more centralized towns that could have seen more urban development within their own borders. 

• Like 2

-Virginia Beach (the Strip)
-Pungo
-Blackwater
-Oceana
-Chic's (Chesapeake) Beach
-Lynnhaven
-Kempsville
-Pembroke

Boom. PA/VB gets its wish to keep its small-town charm, Norfolk becomes the primary city (there is no Chesapeake in this universe either), although I can't explain the loss of residents. Norfolk isn't alone; plenty of urban cities lost residents since 1950...Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis come to mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This has been a long time coming and probably should've been done years ago. I remember going to DC in summer 2014, and seeing a "VisitNorfolk" sign on a city bus, and wondering why we didn't have more of a collaborative effort in the tourism department.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

John Moss defending his success in stopping light rail extension to Town Center, and his facebook followers heralding it as the greatest moment of their lives, is peak Virginia Beach political dysfunction. I tried to screen shot and share it but couldn't figure it out. It's telling though, maybe there is momentum building again for an extension behind the scenes. Norfolk's studies and HRT's willingness to improve service will hopefully ruffle some feathers at the beach IMO. With or without transit, Virginia Beach will continue to densify as population grows, as will Chesafreak. Question is will it be done haphazardly as it has done in the past, or better managed with a regional transit system? 

• Like 3