Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Wait. That was four years ago, and Norfolk decided to move on...why is he still talking about it, and why is he so obsessed with Norfolk, instead of worrying about his district?

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

John Moss defending his success in stopping light rail extension to Town Center, and his facebook followers heralding it as the greatest moment of their lives, is peak Virginia Beach political dysfunction. I tried to screen shot and share it but couldn't figure it out. It's telling though, maybe there is momentum building again for an extension behind the scenes. Norfolk's studies and HRT's willingness to improve service will hopefully ruffle some feathers at the beach IMO. With or without transit, Virginia Beach will continue to densify as population grows, as will Chesafreak. Question is will it be done haphazardly as it has done in the past, or better managed with a regional transit system? 

This is just another reminder that it was a good decision to leave the city I grew up in for good. I really think the biggest mistake for Virginia Beach was becoming the big city it is today. It would have made more sense for Princess Anne County to exist and have the oceanfront town of Virginia Beach and a city of Pembroke instead. Things like light rail would have been better to achieve by cutting out people that lived in the county.

• Like 2

Yeah I don't even know where to begin with the Beach.  There's rampant Nimbyism all over the city except when it's in the form of massive subdivisions in flood plains. Some of the biggest anti-development noise comes out of the neighborhoods right around Town Center, because they can see it enveloping their neighborhoods and way of life. Denser development built around an interstate only feeds into induced demand as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m walking through Town Center and the office I visited features a 360 view of the area, including Pembroke Mall across the street. I gotta say, this part of town looks very impressive. It’s really a shame they voted down extending light rail to TC; it would’ve created a really nice urban area. 

0947DBF8-A92E-4319-8AB2-7670028AAC7E.jpeg

852A5435-5892-40B0-AEEF-BF3D9A824680.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, BFG said:

I’m walking through Town Center and the office I visited features a 360 view of the area, including Pembroke Mall across the street. I gotta say, this part of town looks very impressive. It’s really a shame they voted down extending light rail to TC; it would’ve created a really nice urban area. 

Great shots, the little downtown is definitely looking good. I do wish extending light rail would have happened, even if it was just connecting downtown Norfolk to downtown VB. It would also be great to see Pembroke Mall redeveloped and triple the footprint size of the town center.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Today I stumbled across a map of Virginia Beach, which seems to be from the 40s or 50s. I’ve been very fascinated by the history of Princess Anne County, but a landmark caught my eye: Virginia Beach Sports Arena. It appears this was where the Convention Center complex currently sit, and where the new sports complex is. 

Anyone know anything about this, or was this just a proposal? 

CE71FCB5-AF40-45C8-B844-20E4E09CE988.jpeg

D64E65F9-B422-4C6A-84AB-3E847D59A4DB.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Interesting how Guy Tower just voted for  Sabrina Wooten and against Jim Wood for Vice Mayor.  Jim is the current Vice Mayor and has now been confirmed (8 to 3) to continue in that position. The only other votes (2) for Sabrina Wooten were cast by Sabrina Wooten, herself, and by Aaron Rouse, her sponsor/nominator. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, The Price is Right offered a trip to Virginia Beach, with a stay at the Cavalier. That's the second time I've seen this trip offered in the last couple months. Great publicity for the region. 

Years ago, I remember Wheel of Fortune offered a trip to Portsmouth, with a stay at the then-new Renaissance Hotel.

tpir.jpg

tpir2.jpg

Edited by BFG
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

I rode down the strip last night and people were everywhere. It was great seeing visitors returning to the city.

7k sand soccer players are at the Oceanfront having a tournament.

https://www.pilotonline.com/events/vp-nw-sand-soccer-virginia-beach-oceanfront-20210612-krmwik4uova6vbutwx3excwdfa-story.html

People are flocking to our beaches. ^_^

https://richmond.com/entertainment/summer-vacation-plans-in-hot-demand-at-virginia-beach-obx-vacationers-will-find-staffing-shortages/article_b952d6d2-5f8c-50ee-81b9-0d14246fbe5a.html

Edited by urbanvb

• 3 weeks later...

Abbott has resigned due to health reasons. It'll be interesting to see who council chooses to replace her, and how the special election goes. She often voted lock step with Moss, so at the very least this is an opportunity to get someone who is more forward thinking in that seat.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-virginia-beach-councilwoman-resigns-20210702-6kcl6hteqfe25hiytbdkfivrlm-story.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I happened to ride through Town Center today and noticed the fountain in the square has been converted into a planter I guess you call it. Instead of water we now have plants. Too expensive to maintain I guess.. :dontknow::dunno:

Edited by urbanvb
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Ahh! I think I have figured it out.  VBTC is showing FREE movies on the Fountain Plaza this Summer. I would suppose they don't want anyone to get wet...nor be distracted by the sound of falling water lol. 

https://vabeachtowncenter.com/moviesintheplaza/

Nothing like watching a movie while a water feature makes you think about how badly you need to pee.

• Haha 2

Tallying all the projects that are now or very near construction, and it looks like Virginia Beach is undergoing quite the substantial building boom density wise. Might not have the height yet, but I'll take it. Between shore drive, the oceanfront, Pembroke, and Bonney, this area will look quite different in 5 years. Things are really going to start taking on that city feel. While our population growth appears to be starting to pay dividends, I am sad that we never got light rail off the ground. I feel that this current boom would've been magnified 10 fold if we could've just pushed that over the finish line.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Vice Mayor Jim Wood announced he is stepping down due to travel obligations from a new job. This creates two vacancies for November '22; Jessica Abbott resigned earlier this summer.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-vice-mayor-resigns-20210824-hfcvgm7kavhydo6jrjfoidvtpu-story.html

Rocky Holcomb (from what I understand) will continue to serve in Abbott’s seat through election night November 2022. This is as a result of the voting rights lawsuit and will take more time to clear up those issues. Mr. Wood’s resignation is a very sad event indeed.  And a scary one.  

Sabrina Wooten and Aaron Rouse have announced their intent to run for vice mayor. Please say “no” to Sabrina. 

Edited by baobabs727