Virginia Beach off-topic

Abbott has resigned due to health reasons. It'll be interesting to see who council chooses to replace her, and how the special election goes. She often voted lock step with Moss, so at the very least this is an opportunity to get someone who is more forward thinking in that seat.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-virginia-beach-councilwoman-resigns-20210702-6kcl6hteqfe25hiytbdkfivrlm-story.html

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this video right now! I did not understand the depths of what this man was trying to do for our area until now. He was even flying CEOs in to look at investment opportunities in the area. He i

The expansion of Ferguson Enterprises, which is a plumbing wholesaler I believe but still a relatively huge company, got less attention than ADP but is still a big deal for the region. Probably becaus

Council approved the school buses. Seriously...if they're not considering expanding public transportation (even that goofy Maglev they tried to make a thing), they deserve every traffic nightmare that

Posted Images

I happened to ride through Town Center today and noticed the fountain in the square has been converted into a planter I guess you call it. Instead of water we now have plants. Too expensive to maintain I guess.. :dontknow::dunno:

Edited by urbanvb
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Ahh! I think I have figured it out.  VBTC is showing FREE movies on the Fountain Plaza this Summer. I would suppose they don't want anyone to get wet...nor be distracted by the sound of falling water lol. 

https://vabeachtowncenter.com/moviesintheplaza/

Nothing like watching a movie while a water feature makes you think about how badly you need to pee.

• Haha 2

Tallying all the projects that are now or very near construction, and it looks like Virginia Beach is undergoing quite the substantial building boom density wise. Might not have the height yet, but I'll take it. Between shore drive, the oceanfront, Pembroke, and Bonney, this area will look quite different in 5 years. Things are really going to start taking on that city feel. While our population growth appears to be starting to pay dividends, I am sad that we never got light rail off the ground. I feel that this current boom would've been magnified 10 fold if we could've just pushed that over the finish line.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BFG said:

Vice Mayor Jim Wood announced he is stepping down due to travel obligations from a new job. This creates two vacancies for November '22; Jessica Abbott resigned earlier this summer.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-vice-mayor-resigns-20210824-hfcvgm7kavhydo6jrjfoidvtpu-story.html

Rocky Holcomb (from what I understand) will continue to serve in Abbott’s seat through election night November 2022. This is as a result of the voting rights lawsuit and will take more time to clear up those issues. Mr. Wood’s resignation is a very sad event indeed.  And a scary one.  

Sabrina Wooten and Aaron Rouse have announced their intent to run for vice mayor. Please say “no” to Sabrina. 

Edited by baobabs727

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-city-council-retreat-0915-20210914-nbzb6e5bx5hmfofb3whimei7ey-story.html

“Councilman John Moss said he and Councilman Guy Tower are working on a plan to “build the best local beach and resort in the country,” and they support a new model for managing growth at the Oceanfront including Atlantic Avenue improvements, parking opportunities, public safety enhancements and community outreach.

The plan, dubbed “B-4 Conservancy, Inc.,” involves creating a nonprofit organization with a board of directors comprised of corporate executives and philanthropists that would be tasked with approving a budget for major improvements and community investments.

“The Virginia Beach Oceanfront and its surrounding neighborhoods represent the front door to our city and region,” Moss said. “This can really increase the resources available and get more corporate involvement.”

5 hours ago, varider said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-city-council-retreat-0915-20210914-nbzb6e5bx5hmfofb3whimei7ey-story.html

“Councilman John Moss said he and Councilman Guy Tower are working on a plan to “build the best local beach and resort in the country,” and they support a new model for managing growth at the Oceanfront including Atlantic Avenue improvements, parking opportunities, public safety enhancements and community outreach.

The plan, dubbed “B-4 Conservancy, Inc.,” involves creating a nonprofit organization with a board of directors comprised of corporate executives and philanthropists that would be tasked with approving a budget for major improvements and community investments.

“The Virginia Beach Oceanfront and its surrounding neighborhoods represent the front door to our city and region,” Moss said. “This can really increase the resources available and get more corporate involvement.”

I'm wary of anything that Moss touches. He is vocally and vehemently anti-density, and I think that this may be a trojan horse. Let's make sure we read the fine print.

• Thanks 1