Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Was there at least any positive economic news?

I think the only thing on their minds is the BRAC position on Oceana. You really won't hear too much till this blows over or a decision is made. I think the mayor is really worried about Oceana and has blinders to everything else.

Edited by rusthebuss

While browsing another thread I came across a thread for population estimates and was very surprised to find Va Beach has actually lost residents as seen below from the US Census. This is the first time in at least 5 years the city has lost residents. While I realize just because we lost a few people is not a horrible thing I wonder if it will continue. I also realize several other factors may play into this such as the military and the war going on.

July 05 July 04 July 03 July 02 July 01 July 00

438,415 439,224 435,952 430,713 427,727 426,386

source

I think the only thing on their minds is the BRAC position on Oceana. You really won't hear too much till this blows over or a decision

I can understand that to a degree but the military is only a small part of what makes up the city of VB. They should at least highlight the good things that have happened over the last 12 mos - the growth of TC, redevelopment at the Oceanfront, and job expansions or new businesses in the area.

I can understand that to a degree but the military is only a small part of what makes up the city of VB. They should at least highlight the good things that have happened over the last 12 mos - the growth of TC, redevelopment at the Oceanfront, and job expansions or new businesses in the area.

They might not bring this up in public due to the problems with brac. BRAC doesn't want to hear about more development and Vabeach is trying to show that they are focused on complying to their demands and talking about development is not complying. There is a major political battle going on now and the beach is trying to win it.

Well they did mention that in the speech, but is was a very small portion of the speech. Here's an example.

And speaking of good investments, let me update you on where we are with Town Center. In a nutshell, it is flourishing, as you can see for yourself any time you’re in the area of Independence and Virginia Beach Boulevard. This is one of our city’s greatest all-time successes, thanks in large part to the investment – both financially and in terms of the embracing of the concept – by the business community. You get a lot of credit for this success.

We’ve talked a lot about Town Center the last few years so I won’t spend a lot of time on what’s already had significant coverage in the press. One point I do want to make is that we are in the midst of Phase Three, which includes the Westin Hotel project. At this point, the city’s financial contribution to the overall Town Center project has been $83.1 million dollars, which has paid for parking garages – all free, I’d like to note – the public plaza, which is already a city landmark; utilities; streets and other infrastructure. The private investment is expected to reach between $285 million and $320 million dollars by the time Phase Three is complete.

This is a public-private ratio of one to 3-point-six, making Town Center one of the most successful public-private partnerships in the country.

And part of that is a second partnership to create the Sandler Center for the Performing Arts. This has long been a dream of mine to have a state-of-the-art facility for our local theatre, music and dance groups to shine, as well as a place where we can host artists from outside the region. Undoubtedly you’ve seen the construction crews hard at work on this project, which is still on target to open in the Fall of 2007.

Liz Forgan of the BBC once said, “Arts provide cultural and economic regeneration. They give something that money can’t buy. They provide the community with a sense of identity.” I believe we will see that firsthand once this Center opens.

That's it. This was the most exciting part of the speech and as I said it doesn't really say anything we didn't already know.

While browsing another thread I came across a thread for population estimates and was very surprised to find Va Beach has actually lost residents as seen below from the US Census. This is the first time in at least 5 years the city has lost residents. While I realize just because we lost a few people is not a horrible thing I wonder if it will continue. I also realize several other factors may play into this such as the military and the war going on.

July 05 July 04 July 03 July 02 July 01 July 00

438,415 439,224 435,952 430,713 427,727 426,386

source

I bet if you check the Chesapeake census you will see an increase of population that is close to the lose of Vabeach. There was a article in the paper a while back talking about beach residents moving to Chesapeake for less crowded schools but it seems that the schools in Chesapeake is now becoming overcrowded.

Edited by rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know, I will be doing a total revamping of of the Beach P & C thread later this week to get it more in line with Norfolks P & C format. If there is anything that you guys think I may need to add please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

yikes! any idea what caused this?

I didnt stay long enough. When whatever it was that exploded, exploded, we were all the way down at the Rudees Inlet Bridge. We were far away, but could see it clearly. About 30 seconds later fire engines wizzed passed us and Atlantic Avenue becamse a mob scene. The building was evacuated and that part of the boardwalk was cleared out. I dont have pictures of the explosion because we were too far away. But I do have pictures of the scene a couple minutes afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the thread you'd want this in but....

Has anyone heard of the renovations to be made at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center (Va. Marine Science Museum)?

I have a friend who works there and told me of the interior change that are underway.

If you've been there then you'll probably have an idea of where I'm talking about-

-They are moving the Ray/Skate touch tank to where the Reef touch tanks are, in front of the Sea Turtle Tank.

- They will utilize the current Ray/Skate area and nearby Oyster Shucking/Duck carving, history area to create an exhibit that tells the tale of Virginia from the Pre-historic era to present. My friend said they will have Komoto Dragons on display! She didn't go in to detail other than that.

-They moving the Duck carver to the second building.

-Adding a waterfall feature and other interior eviroments to the Main room that leads to the trail along the river.

-Also mentioned that additions are to be made to the second building, but the have been constantly changing there minds...

I think that's all I was told. Oh, and I'm sure some of you know that the pedestrian bridge to go over General Booth Blvd was NOT funding this year by city council :(

It also sounds like some good stuff is happening there. I can't wait to see a dolphin exhibit get built there. One was propsed and planned years ago but PITA....err...PETA got in the way....maybe one day.

Metalman