Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

5 hours ago, BFG said:

Yes! Forgot all about the Pizza Hut.

That was an after-football-game tradition for us in the PA high school marching band in the 90’s.

Before Cici’s there was the Personal Pan Pizza and the Pizza Hut buffet and salad bar.   Memories man….memories.  :)

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/i-really-miss-1990s-pizza-hut-buffets

On 5/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, BFG said:

I’m really bummed sit-down Pizza Huts have more or less died out, even before the pandemic. The buffet was awesome too but the general ambiance of sitting down at PH was greatness. 

Some core childhood memories was going to dinner at Pizza Hut for a pizza and the salad bar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ODU also did an economic study that concluded it wasn’t economically feasible. Chesapeake and VB formally ended it last year by severing the memorandum of understanding but pieces of it live on. Virginia Beach is using segments of the right of way it acquired for transmission lines for the wind farm and the future access road for the Amazon fulfillment center. Chesapeake is using their portion for a multi-use trail and adding land to an existing industrial/office park (Oakbrooke). 

I watched the livestream on Prime Video Saturday night. The vibe was completely off and the audience sounded dead. Hampton Roads - not just VB - needs to reach out and make this happen again...the sentiment all over social media is that this was for the 757 and it just wasn't gonna be the same in DC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

It sounds bad, but I'm kinda happy to hear this didn't go well as well as it should have. It keeps us in the running, and increases the odds of SITW returning to VB sometime in the future. Not everything is better in DC, and this is one of those things. DC doesn't even have a beach. SITW was tailor made for VB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

I attended the one in 2019 and was up in DC this past weekend and can confirm that it wasn't the same for a number of reasons. The layout was limited to the designated closed off streets so there wasn't much space to begin with and the vendors were set up in between them all so moving around was hard to do, it became near impossible when people were moving from one stage area to another. There were times where it was completely packed to the point where paying customers were actually being denied entry into the area. Due to the sheer inability to move freely almost anywhere in there as well as performers not starting on time you basically had to pick and choose who you wanted to see and camp by that stage well before their set time to be able to see them with your own eyes. Because there was no room to sit or rest this resulted in standing shoulder to shoulder in a sea of people for hours on end to see an act. I think we stood in place for 4-5 hours for the Pharrell and Friends set and my feet and back are still sore. All of these things just took their toll on us as as a result you just simply weren't able to enjoy the performances (which were great by the way) they way that you would have liked because you were literally drained by the time they came around.. 

I applaud Pharrell because he had great intentions, it's a large scale event and there wasn't a whole ton of time to plan it in but it simply wasn't the same.  Anyone we bumped into that attended the original felt the same and that the energy and excitement we experienced in 2019 wasn't there this time around. Va Beach really dropped the bag on this (surprise, surprise) but I will say that I will not attend another one anywhere else going forward.  The amount of money I paid and the extremely poor fan experience we got back in return has left a sour taste in my mouth. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike A. said:

Anyone we bumped into that attended the original felt the same and that the energy and excitement we experienced in 2019 wasn't there this time around. Va Beach really dropped the bag on this (surprise, surprise) but I will say that I will not attend another one anywhere else going forward.  The amount of money I paid and the extremely poor fan experience we got back in return has left a sour taste in my mouth. 

Maybe Pharrell is listening and will bring SITW back to the 757. Sorry you were disappointed as a paying customer.

• Like 1

The rumor I saw - and take this with a grain of salt - was that Pharrell didn’t feel Scope was large enough for a concert. I don’t know how many were in DC, but given the numbers I saw from ‘19, I get the move.

That said, I think Town Point Park and Harbor Park could host shows along with the outdoor space at Waterside. Clean up the river walk between Waterside and the stadium, and you may have something. Hell, open up Dick Price Stadium at NSU since light rail stops there anyway. 

Edited by BFG
Typo
  • Like 1

We launched the Public Input Campaign for Virginia Beach’s Comprehensive Plan Update. Below is the digital flyer that will take you to the webpage to complete surveys and such, so that everyone here can participate and let their voice be heard :)

F8937857-C5A5-4BB5-9117-6AED5884BAFF.thumb.jpeg.d304f9054bc3d78e19cfd47e1c5a9cbd.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They’re taking over the whole building at 80k sq ft. Pretty awesome. It would be cooler if it were atop the new block 2 tower or somewhere visible in our CBD like Gateway tower. Either way, It’s dope, and I hope they run out of space there in the next 5 years and expand even further. Next announcement hopefully is 500 more jobs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Something in the Water is coming back to VA. Beach! This coupled with Surf Park construction and Pembroke getting underway is already setting 2023 up to be a great year. :)

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/something-in-the-water-will-return-to-va-beach-in-2023/?oly_enc_id=8808E7437578H0S

So glad it's coming back home after how disappointing the experience in DC was. Between this and hearing whispers that Dan Snyder is selling the Redskins/WFT/Commanders at the same time my heart can't take all this great news

Edited by Mike A.
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1