Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

Happy to hear this...I watched the Amazon livestream of the DC show and it just wasn't the same. That vibe from 2019 couldn't be replaced elsewhere.

As for Snyder, this Cowboys fan thought he did a great job and am sorry to see him sell. :lol: Jokes aside, it needed to be done with the culture he was fostering. 

• Haha 1

Apparently this isn't exactly set in stone? Do we really need to hear from the NIMBYs who are in the minority, given how successful Year One was?

In the next city council meeting on Tuesday, November 15, the members will open a public hearing session in the council chambers where people from the community are invited to voice their opinions, concerns, and hopes for the festival.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/entertainment/music/sitwfest/something-in-the-water-festival-returns-virginia-beach-not-technically-finalized/291-d3cdb6e5-5df0-49b7-a357-02dc1d3e6d40

15 hours ago, BFG said:

Apparently this isn't exactly set in stone? Do we really need to hear from the NIMBYs who are in the minority, given how successful Year One was?

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/entertainment/music/sitwfest/something-in-the-water-festival-returns-virginia-beach-not-technically-finalized/291-d3cdb6e5-5df0-49b7-a357-02dc1d3e6d40

They're already selling tickets, the city requested them back, zero chance this gets denied. People will yell and cry as usual, but this is happening. One thing that has been consistent across all councils is that Virginia Beach loves money, no way they would turn this down.

• Like 1

Let us see what Sir Joashua from Town Center can do. Doubtful he will be as intelligent as Moss, nor as technically adroit with data analysis and budgets. However, I certainly hope that he will say “yes” more often than Moss did lol.  

The Ward system didn’t change much. The new system cannot take credit for African-Americans now being represented at 36.36% on Council.  That figure is far and away ahead of African Americans’ natural demographic representation in VB.  Frankly, it is deliciously ironic that an African-American entrepreneur will be representing Kings Grant and parts of Great Neck. Can’t get much Whiter than those 2 neighborhoods. I like it.

As far as Linwood branch losing, I’m not all that pleased. I voted for him. I don’t know much about his opponent except to say he appears to be a bit less business-oriented and cares more about issues like slow growth and gun control.  It was a very close election, as was Moss’s.

As far as the football player having his wife replace him, whatever. Who cares.  She’s likely an improvement. He has no manners. Not a fan of chest puffers. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Let us see what Sir Joashua from Town Center can do. Doubtful he will be as intelligent as Moss, nor as technically adroit with data analysis and budgets. However, I certainly hope that he will say “yes” more often than Moss did lol.  

The Ward system didn’t change much. The new system cannot take credit for African-Americans now being represented at 36.36% on Council.  That figure is far and away ahead of African Americans’ natural demographic representation in VB.  Frankly, it is deliciously ironic that an African-American entrepreneur will be representing Kings Grant and parts of Great Neck. Can’t get much Whiter than those 2 neighborhoods. I like it.

As far as Linwood branch losing, I’m not all that pleased. I voted for him. I don’t know much about his opponent except to say he appears to be a bit less business-oriented and cares more about issues like slow growth and gun control.  It was a very close election, as was Moss’s.

As far as the football player having his wife replace him, whatever. Who cares.  She’s likely an improvement. He has no manners. Not a fan of chest puffers. 

I didn’t follow the race but Remick is a commercial agent with Colliers. ‘Slow growth’ is not what I would expect from someone with that background. Not saying you’re wrong but just curious where you got that impression. I couldn’t find any info on his platform/positions other than on Rudee Loop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HRVA said:

I didn’t follow the race but Remick is a commercial agent with Colliers. ‘Slow growth’ is not what I would expect from someone with that background. Not saying you’re wrong but just curious where you got that impression. I couldn’t find any info on his platform/positions other than on Rudee Loop. 

Just because he leases commercial property or whatever doesn’t make him pro development at the oceanfront. He hammered Branch over and over again for being “pro developer.” For those of you who don’t like Bruce Thompson for whatever insane reason, you will find a friend in Mr. Remick. He is one of those guys at the North End who is not a good old boy insider and he will not push for major projects. I understand most people don’t like good old boys and insiders, but I happen to appreciate their usefulness from time to time when things need to get done. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Just because he leases commercial property or whatever doesn’t make him pro development at the oceanfront. He hammered Branch over and over again for being “pro developer.” For those of you who don’t like Bruce Thompson for whatever insane reason, you will find a friend in Mr. Remick. He is one of those guys at the North End who is not a good old boy insider and he will not push for major projects. I understand most people don’t like good old boys and insiders, but I happen to appreciate their usefulness from time to time when things need to get done. 

Appreciate your insight. It’ll be interesting to see how he votes considering at a minimum his clients are in the development world. Looking at his current listings it’s mostly the spec warehouses in Suffolk so definitely a different type of development. 

No BT hate here - I appreciate the work he’s done and hope to see many more projects from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HRVA said:

Appreciate your insight. It’ll be interesting to see how he votes considering at a minimum his clients are in the development world. Looking at his current listings it’s mostly the spec warehouses in Suffolk so definitely a different type of development. 

No BT hate here - I appreciate the work he’s done and hope to see many more projects from him. 

Awesome. No problem.  I, too, am curious as to how he will actually govern. Rhetoric is cheap. He ran an "outsider" campaign. Pretty smart. Barely won though...I think the current margin is 175 votes! But a win is a win. We'll know for sure by Monday. I don't think Mr. Branch has conceded yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

I suspect that a lot of his “anti-developer” stance was a show to distinguish him from his opponent, I doubt that carries over into governance. Dyer was as anti development as Moss before he became mayor, now he’s one of the most pro-development mayors we’ve ever had.

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

I suspect that a lot of his “anti-developer” stance was a show to distinguish him from his opponent, I doubt that carries over into governance. Dyer was as anti development as Moss before he became mayor, now he’s one of the most pro-development mayors we’ve ever had.

Not a bad point.  BEACH DISTRICT is a tight community...and so Remick had better not stray too far from his (repeated!) promises... or else.  If he chooses to back his own chosen developer-friends,  he's going to have to nuance and explain the heck out that seemingly over-night conversion lol.  IMO, the jury is still out on Remick. 

Same goes for Mrs. Rouse, a newcomer on the political scene, though given that her husband has higher political aspirations, and thus needs campaign $$$$, she's probably not going to go against the developers. Not right away, at least...though she might play the Bruce Smith vs. "The Good Ol' Boys" angle. I say this because of Aaron's thought processes there. 

Amelia Ross-Hammonds (though she is a known quantity in the community), Taylor, and Joash.  What to make of them? Actaully,  I do suspect Joash will be pro-growth, pro-jobs, pro-development,  however, given his profession and contacts. Taylor is a young entrepreneur, so that might bode well for "us" lol. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:16 PM, baobabs727 said:

I personally know Joash from my time in the CBDX, and as a friend and colleague, I can say that he very much so pro-growth and pro-development. Joash previously advocated for the growth and expansion of light rail in Virginia Beach, and while I now live in Chicago, I'm excited to see the direction that he and the rest of council take the city going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With a more diverse council and the return of SITW, I wonder if the light rail discussion picks up yet again?

IIRC, the referendum was non-binding and Mayor Sessoms said council would’ve reconsidered had Amazon placed Hampton Roads on its short list. 

Furthermore, I seem to remember the idea being floated following the success of SITW. Just think, had John Atkinson not created a smear campaign we might actually have had the extension to at least Town Center by now. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 757Duke said:

I personally know Joash from my time in the CBDX, and as a friend and colleague, I can say that he very much so pro-growth and pro-development. Joash previously advocated for the growth and expansion of light rail in Virginia Beach, and while I now live in Chicago, I'm excited to see the direction that he and the rest of council take the city going forward. 

Most Excellent!

4 hours ago, BFG said:

With a more diverse council and the return of SITW, I wonder if the light rail discussion picks up yet again?

IIRC, the referendum was non-binding and Mayor Sessoms said council would’ve reconsidered had Amazon placed Hampton Roads on its short list. 

Furthermore, I seem to remember the idea being floated following the success of SITW. Just think, had John Atkinson not created a smear campaign we might actually have had the extension to at least Town Center by now. 

That's a very good question. True, Atkinson is gone. Moss, too.  However, other powerful forces opposed still remain in the body politic, at large.  It's somewhat of a generational thing, but it's much more nuanced than that, and IMO we need to avoid oversimplifying the issue. 

Newcomers to Council are the big question marks here, but If I were forced to make a wager, I'd bet on them being pro-mass transit.  

First let me say, I, too, am solidly pro-mass transit. However there is a bigger picture to consider here aside from local politics and demographics. The main problem facing will LR in VB will be COST.  And you're seeing that in Norfolk with their very limited plans for LR expansion to Military Circle, and then potentially a BRT system beyond to ORF and/or the Bases.  Construction costs per mile of LR track have absolutely skyrocketed, nearly exponentially so, since the Tide was first conceived and built.  And the Tide was already known as the most $$$$S LR project/per track mile in existence.  So even IF... IF VB could get Federal and State monies to help offset the build costs, I'm not sure we could actually "afford" LR.  Would we tax and user fee our way there?  Would the public approve tax increases to fund LR?  Would VB borrow some of the money and would its bond rating be adversely affected in any way?  These concerns are real, especially within the context of staggering $$$$$ school replacement costs, higher real estate taxes and the nearly $600M  flood mitigation bond referendum...with potentially another $1B in flood mitigation efforts looming over the next several decades!

Best case scenario, IMHO:   LR Extension to VBTC with BRT to the Oceanfront.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

All this being said, the new electoral system that was "forced" on council seems to be the best thing that's ever happened for VB. Lots of new blood, this is REAL change. For better or worse we're about to find out, but at the very least we finally have a chance to head in a different direction.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 3:32 AM, HRVA said:

https://news.yahoo.com/did-claims-cronyism-virginia-beach-134500550.html

Oh, correction, it's "smart growth...for what the people want...."  um, ok, whatever that means.  You have been warned! 

Interesting article. He sounds like a real sweetheart.  Bruce Smith used his candidacy to attack city council and Branch (and BT by extension).

Enough with the attacks and negativity. Sick of it. I won't call out those who frequently do this type of thing on council, but we all know who they are. I watch every second of every meeting. Some of them are more pleasant than others. They should all work together in my opinion and stop casting aspersions and being disrespectful toward one another. Ugh. 

Oh why not...against my better judgment I will at least give my impressions of them. 

Rouse:  aggro chest puffing.  political curtain climbing. ambitious. reactionary. calculating. 

Tower:  gentlemanly. slick. smart. crafty. calm. methodical. rich. surprising. 

Henley:  old-fashioned. focused. stubborn. tree-hugging. countrified. rules-oriented.  dedicated. tough. 

Moss:  brilliant. professorial. rigid. conservative. loquacious. principled.  knowledgeable. disciplined. complex. hard-working. anti-growth. anti-everything.

Dyer: goofy. chameleon-like. boring. combative. decent. folksy. opaque. 

Berlucci:. bloviating. argumentative. calculating. eloquent. nap-inducing. 

Miles: smart. kind. conciliatory. focused. proactive. positive. 

Wooten: angry. combative. plodding. interpersonally challenged. independent. rule-breaking. self-aggrandizing. 

Holcomb:  slow. glad-handing. unsophisticated. careful. 

Wilson:  rich. clubby. cliquish. adequate. pleasant. reliable. 

Branch: see Wilson, above. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don’t know if any of you have been watching city Council meetings, both formal &informal of late, but they have been a total s***show. Lots of arguing and fighting, lots of backstabbing and name-calling, and a whole mess of confusion and wheel-spinning.  Embarrassing. 

Edited by baobabs727

On 2/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, baobabs727 said:

I don’t know if any of you have been watching city Council meetings, both formal &informal of late, but they have been a total s***show. Lots of arguing and fighting, lots of backstabbing and name-calling, and a whole mess of confusion and wheel-spinning.  Embarrassing. 

Are we talking Portsmouth bad here? Not liking the sound of that. What's been the main issue?

4 hours ago, vdogg said:

Are we talking Portsmouth bad here? Not liking the sound of that. What's been the main issue?

No, not Portsmouth bad. Haha.  It’s pretty labyrinthian and complicated, but I will try to distill it with some specifics. I couldn’t possibly explain it all here. Headache city! On the one hand it’s kind of a Mrs. Wooten against most everybody else show/situation.  She tried to run for a vice mayor again and only got like one vote. I think last time ran she got no votes or maybe one vote. Well, needless to say  she went off like a bottle rocket on the victor, Mrs Wilson, after this second failed attempt. Just a firehose of anger and accusations.

Then she tried to single out Mr. Rouse… in a good way...and after he had already left and was just about to be elected to the state Senate. She wanted a special ceremony for appreciation of his service. Several  of the other Councilpersons objected  (and Mr. Rouse’s wife remained  pretty neutral, which tells you something)  because she wasn’t including the other departing members in the ceremony on the same date. And she didn’t give the council any notice to sign it.  A few of them said she did not follow protocol or precedent. she has been accused of doing that many times before. She called them Republican operatives and said it was a conspiracy formed  against her and the supposed Democrats on Council. I’ve lived here all my life and we’ve never had partisan councils per se,  so I don’t like this. She has said that kind of thing repeatedly recently. She and the Mayor have gone at it multiple times. There were a couple meetings where she kept singling out Mrs. Wilson with innuendo, trying to basically tear her to shreds/embarrass her… I guess. Of course Mrs. Wilson had defeated Mrs. Wooten  for Vice Mayor—twice—so there’s that.

She says stuff like, she has heard through the grapevine, she has been hearing from constituents, she has information that makes her believe this and that….somebody told this about the majority, her but she’s not going to name them. She basically just doesn’t ever present any facts. It’s all gossip. Henley went off on her about that, saying character assignation and  gossip are beneath the office, and that she’s never been so embarrassed to be on council in  all of her decades of service.  It was crazy.

She and Mr. Berlucci have gone at it several times.  She and Mrs. Henley have gone at it. She and city manager Duhaney have gone at it.  But actually it’s more like him sort of schooling her with facts in his calm and extremely gentlemanly way …and she fuming and spitting.  

The rest of the “excitement” revolves mostly around the new voting system and re: the proposed council seat vacancy-filling system via special election. The new ones called an emergency special session of Counci. and used it to try to bludgeon  the old ones and the election board…and even Mr. Duhaney… and the city’s lobbyist in the Virginia state house, Mrs. Bryan. They really tore her a new one and she wasn’t even there to defend herself.  They accused her of trying to kill their proposal for a special election to fill vacancies, and accused everyone else (except for themselves) of conspiring with her to do it..  Basically they had real concerns but went about addressing them the wrong way. It became political Theater, gotcha politics and grandstanding, and it backfired. At the end even Mr. Taylor admitted that they had a lot to learn about everything that goes on and how it’s been done and who does what… basically the sausage making process of government ….and trying to figure out  how to do their jobs.  The problem the majority had with the way the newbies handled the situation was that no one bothered to call them to talk about it beforehand. Didn’t ask any questions… just started firing guns —while on video of course lol. The majority asked for receipts. They couldn’t provide any.
New ones ended up pretty much limping off with their tails between their legs.

On a more 30,000 foot level, obviously this is all about  the new ones trying to flex on the old ones. The new crew think they were elected to be disruptors. Except for Mrs Ross-Hammonds and Joashua. Even Chris Taylor is taking part, which I’m a bit surprised about. He represents Great neck and Little neck, Jim Wood’s old seat kinda sorta.  For some reason he must think there’s some value in attaching his wagon to Mrs. Wooten and her long list of grievances. Mrs. Rouse. while siding with the newbies, has been strategic with her tone and approach. She has conducted  herself very professionally, I think, and has avoided most of the direct confrontation.  

Like I said, Mr. Duhaney has sort of had to put the new ones in their place a couple times politely, with facts. Same with Mr. Stiles, city attorney. The election board did as well saying that what the are proposing to replace the old vacancy appointment system is not workable. A lot of gossip. A lot finger pointing and raised voices. 

• Confused 1

(sigh)

Maybe I’m reading too much into this but do we really need another country music festival just a month after the Patriotic Festival? It feels like the typical back-and-forth the cities do too often. 

https://www.13newsnow.com/amp/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/country-music-festival-virginia-beach/291-7fd6c364-7123-4b5d-b056-ca04e729762c

• Like 1