Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia Beach 10th best city for job hunting

Link

#10 Virginia Beach, Va.

Virginia Beach's economy relies in large part on trade and the military. Recently, some corporations have set up back-office operations in the city, partly to take advantage of the military spouses who are available for part-time work. The Virginia Beach metropolitan area includes Norfolk, Va., and Newport News, Va., and extends into North Carolina.

Unemployment rank: 16

Cost of living rank: 42

Median household income rank: 59

Income growth rank: 10

Job growth rank: 25

Here is a little clip from an article on CNN regarding the housing market.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/15/real_estat...dex.htm?cnn=yes

"Where the strength is

Despite all the negative signs, some areas are holding up well.

Some of the best performers were in markets that welcomed a large number of Katrina refugees. In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, prices leaped 11.6 percent from last quarter and 27.3 percent from a year earlier. That was the biggest percentage gain of any metro area in the United States.

Nearby Beaumont, Texas gained 18.3 percent from a year ago.

Other strong markets included Ocala, Florida (up 25.3 percent for the 12-month period), Virginia Beach (23.6 percent) and Gainesville, Florida (19.3 percent). Los Angeles led the nation's largest cities, racking up a gain of 14.6 percent.

San Francisco slipped past San Jose to claim the dubious honor of sporting the nation's highest single-family home prices. The median price in the City by the Bay is now $751,900, up 3.4 percent for the past 12 months.

The Bay area also claimed the highest condo prices - a median of $647,200 - far higher than second-place Los Angeles ($410,500)."

Va. Beach skate park destroyed by possible arson

If this is arson what an unbelievably senseless thing to do. :angry: That is probably the best thing Va. Beach has ever provided its citizenry recreation wise and now its gone. They need to rebuild this. Despite being a spot where hundreds of kids used to go to have fun this park really put Va. Beach on the map with some of the tournaments they've hosted. If they do rebuild it, they should probably install some sort of surveillance system with it to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Va. Beach skate park destroyed by possible arson

If this is arson what an unbelievably senseless thing to do. :angry: That is probably the best thing Va. Beach has ever provided its citizenry recreation wise and now its gone. They need to rebuild this. Despite being a spot where hundreds of kids used to go to have fun this park really put Va. Beach on the map with some of the tournaments they've hosted. If they do rebuild it, they should probably install some sort of surveillance system with it to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I was reading that and was pissed. They said they didn't know if it was arson or not this morning but according to your article it is. Its fenced in too! I really wish Northside Park, or the city of Norfolk, would even consider a skate park there. It would be awesome. I hope they rebuild it the one at Trashmore.

Hah! Man, you guys. It was probably some uppity local McMansion owner NIMBY type! I have no issues with skaters. I'm all for more half pipes in skate parks. There was a large homemade one on the street where I grew up. I'd bust my ass if I tried to skate such a thing, though. Last time I rode a skateboard, we took my crappy NASH Executioner to mount trashmore and rode it down the hill. It performed well. And then the radio flyer. *That* was dangerous.l

Edited by Telmnstr

• 2 weeks later...

To see green, Beach will need to spend it

VIRGINIA BEACH - The only appreciable green space in the concrete-and-steel jungle of Town Center is a storm water pond on Columbus Street.

The Central Park Pond, as it is called, has a tranquil walking path, wooden benches, trees and a sewer pumping station. Its surface is a pallid green, thanks to the reflection of those trees.

Barbara Duke, a city planner, wants more green, more open space near Town Center.

The city has crafted a "greenway" plan to connect Town Center with nearby Thalia Creek using a nature trail, walkways and a bridge over the creek. The trail would continue south along the creek, eventually wending its way to Mount Trashmore

story

Sounds like a great idea but as usual NIMBYS are out and about. How's this for a quote?

They're moving out into the neighborhood, saying they want to take over," said Garrison, a retired doctor and president of the Thalia Civic League. "It's probably a good idea, but not in our backyard.
<_<

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been by the old Wedgewood trailer park lately? Have they started construction? They last time I was there, they had the whole place cleared. That was almost 3 months ago.

There are vehicles out there carrying away dirt everday so I still think they're clearing the site. That's a lot of land to clear plus there was probably a lot of trash and stuff left over from the previous development.