Virginia Beach off-topic

vdogg

I'm surprised TCC didn't have a fit when this was created. I wonder how many student actually go there. Don't it's programs just overlap with other education centers?

Perhaps, but as where ODU, NSU, and TCC are state funded, HU is a private college, so they can do whatever they want.

...is it me, or is that too many commas for one sentence? :huh:

Edited by metalman

• 4 weeks later...

Twice as many people with twice as much crime. I think that makes them equal.

This table shows the crimes in various Virginia cities based on the 2005 FBI Uniform Crime Report (link).

post-4439-1165514936_thumb.jpg

From this, you can see that although Virginia Beach and Norfolk have almost the same total number of crimes, Virginia Beach has fewer total number of violent crimes but more property crimes. However, crime statistics are not compared this way. They are calculated on a per 100,000 resident basis. Otherwise cities like New York would look way more violent than actually dangerous cities like Camden, NJ and East St. Louis, IL. Using the proper method, Virginia Beach has 1/3 the violent crime rate of Norfolk and 55% of the property crime rate. Virginia Beach is decidely safer and is the safest city in HR (Williamsbug is a town). In fact, it is one the safest big cities in America.

Edited by hoobo

This table shows the crimes in various Virginia cities based on the 2005 FBI Uniform Crime Report (link).

post-4439-1165514936_thumb.jpg

From this, you can see that although Virginia Beach and Norfolk have almost the same total number of crimes, Virginia Beach has fewer total number of violent crimes but more property crimes. However, crime statistics are not compared this way. They are calculated on a per 100,000 resident basis. Otherwise cities like New York would look way more violent than actually dangerous cities like Camden, NJ and East St. Louis, IL. Using the proper method, Virginia Beach has 1/3 the violent crime rate of Norfolk and 55% of the property crime rate. Virginia Beach is decidely safer and is the safest city in HR (Williamsbug is a town). In fact, it is one the safest big cities in America.

It's safer because it's still a suburb of Norfolk... let it go hoobo. A real city has a good amount of crime. I'm sorry, but Va Beach just isn't there yet. :rofl:

I was just trying to get across that I don't see Norfolk as a dangerous place. Where's Williamsbug exactly, I'm having a hard time finding it. Just kidding.

Edited by cpeakesqr

It's safer because it's still a suburb of Norfolk... let it go hoobo. A real city has a good amount of crime. I'm sorry, but Va Beach just isn't there yet. :rofl:

I was just trying to get across that I don't see Norfolk as a dangerous place. Where's Williamsbug exactly, I'm having a hard time finding it. Just kidding.

Oh, I agree. Norfolk is not that dangerous. I feel safe driving at night through the supposed bad parts of Norfolk. Not any worse than say Lake Edwards in VB. However, I'd never do that in Richmond, DC, Baltimore (unless buzzed and lost at 1 a.m. and driving to figure out which interstate takes me back to 95 south), Miami, L.A. Watts, etc.

(unless buzzed and lost at 1 a.m. and driving to figure out which interstate takes me back to 95 south),

hah! :lol: I remember those days. The traffic lights downtown that you could never quite tell if they were for your lane or not didn't help either. Downtown D.C. is one of the most confusing places I've ever driven.

Hoobo, You mentioned Lake Edward...Do you think its a coincedince that it boarders Norfolk?

Cpeakesgr, Last time I checked Virginia Beach was it's own, independant city. But, maybe my memory slips me.

The reason Virginia Beach has lower crimes than Norfolk might on some level have to do with how there police deptartments actually go about fight crime and how the cities invest there money and efforts into there respective police departments.

For instance- VB has a far more technologically advanced 24hr (all shifts) forensics crime scene unit and all officers have a basic level of crime scene evidence knowledge and collects and analyzes evidence on every crime they can collect reasonable evidence on. Norfolk has forensics only on certain shifts and do not go out for the "less important" crimes like larcenies and such.

-VB has it's own Bomb Squad, Norfolk does not.

-VB has dedicated SWAT and Undercover Dectectives. Norfolk undercover officers play double duty as SWAT when they are called.

-VB attracts more officer recruits because of higher pay.

And while most of Virginia Beach is of suburban neighborhoods and layout, I think it's assanine to say that Virginia Beach is a suburb of Norfolk. A city whose urban downtown is all of a few square miles. I think there is something to be said for citizens of a city not being packed in urban areas like sardines and have the 'big city' problems. Not that Norfolk is that packed but sometimes I feel as if people have such disdain for a house with dirt and a few blades a grass around it. I've seen a lot of people scoffing at housing that has land outside of its four walls. Land is one of the best investments someone can own. There seems to be a growing motto of "If it's not a condo, it's crap", and while I am extremely excited and invested in VB's urban growth, and DT Norfolks continued growth and success, IMO I just don't buy that motto.

VB does have its rural south, (which is something Norfolk wiped off it's map years ago) the widespread suburbs, and it's very successfully building its downtown. To some degree, the city needs to stay dedicated on curbing crime due to how much money VB makes on tourism or this city would have a declining source of income. It is one of our biggest industries.

VB does have its share of 'bad' neighborhoods, but even for the city much larger than Norfolk they are more far and few between, and with not as much govt. housing. Why is that?

The low crime in VB has nothing being a 'real city' or not. I believe it has more to do with the cities' involvment in its law enforcement, thier demographics, its layout, and civil engineering. If a higher crime rate is a benchmark for a big city then are you proud of Norfolks higher crime rate? Does that make it a real city? Conversly, would lowering Norfolks crime rate make it less of a city than it currently is? I'm sure there are plenty of real cities that have lower crime than Norfolk. Virginia Beach just happens to be one of them.

...please, don't think I'm putting Norfolk police against Virginia Beaches. I am just point out the difference is personell and policy and the cities investment in there law enforcement. (Look at the story today on Norfolk Judges begging for a new courthouse). I have the utmost respect for LEOS. I know some Norfolk officers and am close to many Virginia Beach officers. There jobs are just the same in every city and unfortunatly some die just the same, no matter what city they work in.

I don't jump on my soapbox much, but a Norfolk fanboy comment above really got me thinking. I wish peoples critcizims were just a little more intellectual and thoughtful and not just about trying to bash the other side.

Thanks,

Metalman

I don't know about your memory, but your perception might be slipping. Firstly, I believe my comment was a joke, maybe a facetious statement. Maybe you didn't pick that up. This Norfolk "fanboy", that lives in CHESAPEAKE, does actually think that a true urban city with a true urban downtown has more crime.

Virginia Beach has always been a suburb of Norfolk, as has Chesapeake. Demographics do have a lot to do with crime, that's why as long as Va Beach remains mostly stuck-up white suburbanites, crime will be lower than in a city with color. (Virginia Beach is over 70% white, whereas Norfolk is only about 50% white.) And by the way, I'm not bashing black people, but I think it's been proven that minorities earning below average income tend to be involved in more crime. It's just a fact of life, albeit an unnecessary one.

I'm sorry, but some Virginia Beach fanboy's non sequitar arguments really got me thinking. I wish people would go back and read what they actually typed, and proofread for ALL their grammar mistakes. It would really make their post more substantiated.

Before you jump on that soapbox, actually read exactly what you're commenting on. Unless sarcasm completely escapes you, there's no excuse.

Edited by cpeakesqr

I wish people would go back and read what they actually typed, and proofread for ALL their grammar mistakes. It would really make their post more substantiated.

Before you jump on that soapbox, actually read exactly what your commenting on. Unless sarcasm completely escapes you, there's no excuse.

I can't resist this. perhaps you should take your own advice and proofread your own ramblings...to clarify, I think the word you were searching for is "you're", not "your". Or were you being sarcastic? It's so hard to tell on the intarwubs. :P

And just to make this post have at least a little relevance, I do actually agree with you that Virginia Beach can be thought of as a suburb to Norfolk. At least at one point in time, but I definitely do think it's at least starting to break away from that distinction.

I can't resist this. perhaps you should take your own advice and proofread your own ramblings...to clarify, I think the word you were searching for is "you're", not "your". Or were you being sarcastic? It's so hard to tell on the intarwubs. :P

And just to make this post have at least a little relevance, I do actually agree with you that Virginia Beach can be thought of as a suburb to Norfolk. At least at one point in time, but I definitely do think it's at least starting to break away from that distinction.

I put "you're". :P My bad... I still only had one mistake, compared to like 4 in the first two lines of metalman's post.

Edited by cpeakesqr

What are your talking about "nrdzrool"? I put "you're". :P My bad... I still only had one mistake, compared to like 4 in the first two lines of metalman's post.

::Gets out little red pen:: Tsk, tsk, that pesky "your" again. I'm going to assume this latest error was intentional for the sake of "fun times", but really, if you're going to criticize other people's grammar, then make sure you hold yourself to the same standard.

/grammar rant.

Also, did anyone see in the pilot today that there will be a new townhome/light residential/shopping development at Princess Anne and Independence? I knew that field's days were numbered.

::Gets out little red pen:: Tsk, tsk, that pesky "your" again. I'm going to assume this latest error was intentional for the sake of "fun times", but really, if you're going to criticize other people's grammar, then make sure you hold yourself to the same standard.

/grammar rant.

Also, did anyone see in the pilot today that there will be a new townhome/light residential/shopping development at Princess Anne and Independence? I knew that field's days were numbered.

Yea that one was intentional... you know, early morning, in a rush type of intentional.

I was thinking of banishing a few posts to the vast and cavernous netherworld that is the Urbanplanet archive but perhaps a reminder will suffice.

3. Do not create posts to antagonize other forumers. Doing so will result in the post being deleted, and as a minimum an immediate suspension.

* No line by line rebuttal posts containing multiple quotes

* Do not bash cities, states, countries or regions

* Do not create childish boosterism posts. i.e. "my city is better than yours".

* Do not argue with anyone on the staff. If you have a complaint contact an admin.

* Anything else that leads to a fight with another forumer.

quoted from here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When it pours, it leaks at Beach convention center

center500x309.jpg

VIRGINIA BEACH - The city's $207 million convention center has sprung a leak.

Actually, it's sprung dozens of them.

The intricate steel-and-glass structure has leaked 30 to 40 times since it opened in August 2005, said Jim Partin, project manager with the city's Public Works Department.

Va Beach ranked as one of the top 5 fastest appreciating home markets in the country!

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/real_esta...st_worst/9.html

BUBBLERIFFIC! The faster they rise, the harder they fall!

This will be a fun year to watch. Everyone is going to try to dump their investments, and won't be able to.

Looks like lending might tighten up as well... #11 largest mortgage company went out of biz, #21 is following... Ameriquest and others are up for sale, H&R block is struggling with theirs.. The lack of 0 down loans will help drive a stake in it, along with all the people that can't refi before the loan adjusts.

Meanwhile, sites like craigslist ... the housing rental forum is ... lets just say, rocking in terms of units up for rent.

Sellers of homes will wait until after super bowl weekend. There might be a bit of a "dead cat bounce" but ... yea, it's called catching a falling knife.

BUBBLERIFFIC! The faster they rise, the harder they fall!

This will be a fun year to watch. Everyone is going to try to dump their investments, and won't be able to.

Looks like lending might tighten up as well... #11 largest mortgage company went out of biz, #21 is following... Ameriquest and others are up for sale, H&R block is struggling with theirs.. The lack of 0 down loans will help drive a stake in it, along with all the people that can't refi before the loan adjusts.

Meanwhile, sites like craigslist ... the housing rental forum is ... lets just say, rocking in terms of units up for rent.

Sellers of homes will wait until after super bowl weekend. There might be a bit of a "dead cat bounce" but ... yea, it's called catching a falling knife.

I see you get off on others misery. I guess if we get a terrorist attack this year you will really bust a gut! Just imagine how far the economy and housing will fall then. Could be a banner year for you.

• 1 month later...

I'm just curious about the last time when I was at the Oceanfront, down by the amusement park, there was a tower crane working on something...I want to say it was where the Dunes Hotel used to be, but I'm not completely sure. Is there some development along the boardwalk I might be getting this confused with?