Ocean Beach Club Progress

vdogg

Am i the only one who thinks the Oceanfront is getting some really nice, urban development lately and has the potential to grow a lot more in the coming decades? Is a period of Manhattanization possible?

I guess it depends on your definition of "Manhattanization"? Remember, this project has been in the works for over 5 years now, this was just the next phase. It would be nice if the city could buy some of the blighted dumpy hotels off Pacific and Baltic and replace try to get developers to replace them with nicer hotels with a more urban feel. Also, with the height restriction lifted from Oceana, we should see some taller developments as well.

Am i the only one who thinks the Oceanfront is getting some really nice, urban development lately and has the potential to grow a lot more in the coming decades? Is a period of Manhattanization possible?

I guess it depends on your definition of "Manhattanization"? Remember, this project has been in the works for over 5 years now, this was just the next phase. It would be nice if the city could buy some of the blighted dumpy hotels off Pacific and Baltic and replace try to get developers to replace them with nicer hotels with a more urban feel. Also, with the height restriction lifted from Oceana, we should see some taller developments as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole Town Center idea should be abandoned and the Oceanfront should be transfromed into downtown Va Beach. Tear down the short, crappy hotels along the strip and replace them with high rise condos, office towers, and hotels.. extend LR from Norfolk and call it a day. Honestly, Va Beach could have a HUGE downtown this way. Towers could rise upwards of 30-40 stories IMO. Build an arena.. it could be great, really. & actually, they could still keep trying to develop Town Center, but change the name to Midtown VB and the Oceanfront could be DT and there you go.. we have transformed a large suburban city to a big city city.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although I am completely for denser development I don't think an increase in building height (anything above 5 stories) will accomplish much aside from increased rents and not enough people willing to pay for them, and encroachment issues with the military bases. I think the future developments along the "Laskin Gateway" are height appropriate and can appreciate what Bruce Thompson is doing. However I think it would be great if instead of razing the dumpy hotels we keep their retro styling and rehabbed them into apartments/ hotels, that way we retain whatever identity VB had.

Although I am completely for denser development I don't think an increase in building height (anything above 5 stories) will accomplish much aside from increased rents and not enough people willing to pay for them, and encroachment issues with the military bases. I think the future developments along the "Laskin Gateway" are height appropriate and can appreciate what Bruce Thompson is doing. However I think it would be great if instead of razing the dumpy hotels we keep their retro styling and rehabbed them into apartments/ hotels, that way we retain whatever identity VB had.

I would prefer not to identify Va Beach with dumpy hotels. They aren't in an older architectural style from the past, they are just dumpy horribly kept hotels. I don't care if they are razed for low rises as long as the low rises are nice and urban. Sprinkling in high rises off of Pacific would be very nice IMO.

I agree, I love what they've done with the Laskin road gateway and I'd like a nice mix of high rises and low rise retail outlets all over the Oceanfront.

As for anything being built above 5 stories, no developer will build it if it won't sell. This is the wrong time to do anything speculatively, especially real estate.

I'm torn...I'm part of a nostalgic VB group on Facebook, and I see a lot of people who lament the older VB. A lot of people say the older buildings have charm, which I agree with.

That being said, I do like the more modern buildings as well, as it helps put VB in the category of resort town and summer destination. So yeah, if they can put up the new buildings without diminishing the charm of the older ones, then great.

But yeah, could do without the seedy dump motels that are only like two stories. And for crying out loud, can someone please do something about the Tropicana? How many crapty hotel awards do you have to win before you clean it up?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Y'know...even though it has that tan color that VB loves so much, it's a pretty nice building. I like it!

Especially at night. It has a very neat lighting scheme, a lot of pastels and blues. Gives it a very south beach feel, makes it stick out on the skyline.

I've also gotten the South Beach vibe along that stretch of the oceanfront, and I like it a lot. A lot of natives hate what the VB strip has become, but I just feel it comes with progress and time...VB has become a bit of an east coast destination, and like it or not, the tourists bring in money. Gotta cater to them just as much as the locals.

Archived