Florida Topography

bic

We are still coming out of an ice age.  The permafrost line has been receeding for thousands of years now. 

I once posted elsewhere that the record high temps recorded for all continents occured around 100 years ago or near to it while the record cold temp has happened whithin the past 2-3 decades for all contininets.  I'll post that here once I find it again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto, this is well within the range of normal ebb and flow of temperature change. The eskimo tribes may not remember it because oral history tends to have a short legacy (save Homer, I guess), but temperatures between 1000 and 1400 were warmer than they are now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to point out the severity of what would be "lost" vs. what would be "saved". I made no mention of "voting".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But you did make it sound like we would have a choice in the matter. Orlando's survival wouldn't rely on whether or not we decide we want to keep the other areas. Therefore, were not paying a price for it's sake.

Besides, he's from Orlando, what do you expect him to say? Yes, almost an entire state flooding would be catastrophic. However, if we actually did get to choose, almost every single person here would gladly sacrifice the rest of the state in favor of his or her own city (especially considering the cross-state bickering & bashing). And even most of the people who say otherwise would be lying.

I find your holier than thou stance on his comment especially odd considering you're an Orlandoan yourself. :huh:

We are still coming out of an ice age.  The permafrost line has been receeding for thousands of years now. 

I once posted elsewhere that the record high temps recorded for all continents occured around 100 years ago or near to it while the record cold temp has happened whithin the past 2-3 decades for all contininets.  I'll post that here once I find it again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just remember, as I mentioned earlier, that much of Florida is a coral reef which means it was under water in the past too. Maybe that is normal, but it will make much of inhabited Fla, uninhabitable. If it is normal for the polar ice caps to melt over time, it is also normal for Fla to be underwater. The water has to go somewhere.

In regards to the record highs and record lows. It is not the record extremes that concern scientists. It is the average lows during the winter that are alarming. We are now having some of the warmest winters on record. As a result the polar ice caps are not refreezing in the winte as they should. While it may be normal for the world to warm back up, we are definately accelerating it. Most of us may live to see a much smaller Fla.

But you did make it sound like we would have a choice in the matter. Orlando's survival wouldn't rely on whether or not we decide we want to keep the other areas. Therefore, were not paying a price for it's sake.

Besides, he's from Orlando, what do you expect him to say? Yes, almost an entire state flooding would be catastrophic. However, if we actually did get to choose, almost every single person here would gladly sacrifice the rest of the state in favor of his or her own city (especially considering the cross-state bickering & bashing). And even most of the people who say otherwise would be lying.

I find your holier than thou stance on his comment especially odd considering you're an Orlandoan yourself.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Holier than thou stance"??? Don't bring personal jibes into a public forum. Yes, I'm from Orlando, but I'm a Floridian first. Seriously, there are more informative posts on this forum than mine.

Archived