Superdome?

redjeep77

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the other posts said that the Saints were going to use the dome in San Anotio for this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they will be moving to San Antonio until the mess subsides and the SuperDome can be repaired.

My guess for them moving to SA is because San Antonio is one of the few cities that has a vacant professional sized stadium.

There are larger issues going on there besides football, please keep that in mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, this is the main reason I have a feeling that the owner may use this tragic event as a chance to leave. Because there's more important things the city needs to worry about and spend its money on, in the next couple of years.

The Saints will return and will advocate a new stadium, or else.  Their history is in N.O.  The whole city will be back one day too!  There are larger issues going on there besides football, please keep that in mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mark my words, the jerk*ff owner George Shinn of the Hornets will also use this as a chip.

how do you guys think this will effect the overall population and busnuiss in NO when this mess is cleaned up... say 12 months from now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be some loss of population witin the next couple of months, but in the end, I'm predicting a boom of redevelopment and private investment in the city, once billions of federal money comes in to give the city complete upgrades in its infrastructure system.

The Saints will very likely be moved. Rebuilding the Superdome will likely not be a priority in the coming months. If it is, for some reason, a priority, then I would sugggest that priorities are misplaced. Sporting events won't be in the minds of most of the population or government officials in the near future. Eventually, of course, something else will take its place, but I doubt it will be any time soon.

I agree that sports pales in comparison to the hardships taking place on the Gulf Coast. But, I just wanted to clarify some of whats been said here regarding the Saints. The only involvment that San Antonio will have for sure with the Saints is that the team will practice their next week. They will arrive after Thursdays game in Oakland and remain until Sept. 10th when they go to Carolina for the regular season opener. San Antonio is a possibility to host the Saints first home game the following week along with Houston, Dallas, Baton Rouge, and Tuscalousa. It is possible that the Saints will be station in San Antonio the full season for practice and play somewhere else. My own personal opinion is the first home game will be played in the Alamodome and the rest will be played in Baton Rouge.

Also, the Saints will definitly be back in the Superdome in 2006.

I'll take a stab at the Saints. I honestly think that they'll leave at this point. We cannot afford to build them a new stadium at this point, in light of this disaster. And the NFL will be revealed as the greedy beotchs that they are. And I was a supporter of a new stadium before this. Now, we've got bigger fish to fry.

I'll take a stab at the Saints. I honestly think that they'll leave at this point. We cannot afford to build them a new stadium at this point, in light of this disaster. And the NFL will be revealed as the greedy beotchs that they are. And I was a supporter of a new stadium before this. Now, we've got bigger fish to fry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're dead on on all counts.

Could they play in Tiger Stadium the rest of this season?

I think you're dead on on all counts.

Could they play in Tiger Stadium the rest of this season?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everything I read says the Saints would prefer to play there. Currently the athletic facilities at LSU are being used to house refugees, so that would have to be resolved. This weekends game at the stadium has been postponed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL angle for a way to keep the Saints in NO, as a grand gesture of support for a struggling city.

I agree, I have a hard time seeing the Saints leaving NO now.

It was also announced this afternoon that the Saints first home game scheduled for Sept. 18th against the NY Giants will be played at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands. The day and time of the game is still being worked out as the NY Jets are also scheduled to play at Giants Stadium on Sept. 18th.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8798023

What I think the NFL may do is move the team to L. A., but not using the Saints name. Instead reserving The Saints name for a future team in the New Orleans area. Somewhat like the Browns when they moved to Baltimore. Cleveland reserved the Browns name for their current team and the old Browns became the Ravens.

I have heard reports the Superdome may have to be torn down as it has become a biological hazard. Does anyone else know about this? And if they do, who will pay to build another one? Its one thing to use federal tax money to rebuild parts of the city needed by the residents. It's quite another to spend the money on a facility for major league sports.

I have heard reports the Superdome may have to be torn down as it has become a biological hazard.  Does anyone else know about this?  And if they do, who will pay to build another one?  Its one thing to use federal tax money to rebuild parts of the city needed by the residents.  It's quite another to spend the money on a facility for major league sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Metro where did you here this?

Im not questioning the truth of the statement....I just would like to know. I havent heard anything like this.

I know the field will have to be torn up and some of the seats would have to be replaced, and of course the roof needs to be replaced, but I dont think they would have to destroy the whole building.

The Superdome is VERY special to New Orleanians, its got a place in our hearts.

I would hate to see it go...

This would not be surprising at all. The owners of the Saints were whining about it before Katrina. Now with the roof damage, evacuee damage and so forth, it may well be replaced with something else. Should this be a priority in a ravaged city? Certainly not. As I have said before, something may take its place, but I would be shocked to see it take precedence over more immediately practical needs. Perhaps its replacement would serve the convention market as well. Creative thinking may be needed here, but I doubt the owners of the Saints would be pleased to see it returned to use. I am sure they will bray loudly for a new arena. They should be told to wait until such time as it is practical to consider one.

Archived