Possible work in China - what is it like?

951driver

I am 22, and the construction design/build firm I'm interning for right now is interested in expanding their job market overseas, particularly in China. I sat down with the President/CEO this morning to talk to him a bit more about it. They are looking for people who meet my general description to work in this environment: young, adventurous, adaptable, team-oriented, and willing to learn a new language. I learned that international construction offers a host of things for me: fast advancement, the ability to work with a small team through numerous projects rather than re-forming teams for each new project, good pay, and, surprisingly, not a lot of moving around. My fiancee (future wife) and [future] kids will keep me from wanting to relocate often - at the most, maybe every 4 years or so. I don't want to have kids until my early 30's, and so by the time they are almost to high school, I will be in my mid-40s. At this point, I would like to be back in the states so they can go to high school here and then go to the college of their choice. At that point I'll be ready to get out of the project management/project director position and go into executive management for the last 5-10 years of my career. Keep in mind I don't plan on working past 55. Near the end of my 30-minute conversation, the president/CEO asked if that was something I may be interested in doing, and, of course, I said "yeah, it sounds like a ton of fun." After I left his office, I ran into our VP of Human Resources, whom I seem to, after only a few months, have an "in" with. He said he would really like to speak with me further about working internationally.

So, I would like to know what China/Pacific Rim life is like for an American like me. How much adjustment is there, how "Americanized" is it, what is it like doing business in the area, what the English-speaking schools are like (for the kids), cost of living, what there is to eat, see, and do, etc. Please tell me all you know to help me learn a little more about this. I have seen only pictures of Hong Kong and I must say it's the most beautiful city (or at least downtown) in the world, in my [not so] humble opinion. Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived