Foundry Park

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to say, but I AM disappointed. I just thought the architects would have a little (or a lot) more imagination and pizazz than this redundant old "Richmond" look. How could anything behind it not replicate the same old boring design? It sets a pattern for the rest of the site, and that is not, IMO, something to look forward to.

I'll bet Mr. Goodwin and fellow owners of the Jefferson are glad this re-creation of the state pen is not being duplicated on its original site.

Thumbs down! (There's no emoticon for it).

What an unattractive neighbor to the sleek Fed Reserve is this unimaginative, regressive design! :angry:

But the Fed Reserve isn't as sleek as it used to be. It is still a big conservative box that screams 1978. I'd much rather see a tower or a cluster of them on the rest of the property... and let's give our friend Scott a heart attack!

Yes, we know this. And the design isn't far off. When I did that pic stacking two Fed Reserves on top of each other it looked like one of the towers.

I still appreciate the building and took a ton of pics of it (despite the warning from the police). It needs a little more though, especially the lighting with the red lights...

I feel kind of bad that I have to pick and choose which pics to post at both places. I've been posting a lot of my month-old pics at RCW. For those here who don't go there, I'm sorry you have to miss them. I am also sorry for those there who don't come here who'd miss whatever I decide to place here.

But if Burt doesn't want to see the same pics on both sites, we have a mutual friend... x :lol:

Here are the rest of the pics from that day I was in the area, January 20, 2006.

DSCF3990.jpg

DSCF3992.jpg

DSCF3993.jpg

DSCF3994.jpg

DSCF3995.jpg

DSCF3996.jpg

They had the snipers trained on me for that shot.

DSCF3998.jpg

DSCF4009.jpg

DSCF4010.jpg

DSCF4011.jpg

DSCF4019.jpg

DSCF4020.jpg

DSCF4024.jpg

And to my right... a Federal Reserve Policewoman who's pulling up in her car.

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond Renaissance Updates!

Nothing too specific on this project though they did mention the following:

Aside from the very asthetic parking deck, the large mixed-use south of the deck will contain 3 office buildings (size yet to be determined), 80 residential units (conservative early estimates), and about or more than 65,000 sf of retail space.

they also noted this would be a nice site for a MeadWestvaco HQ :)

• 1 month later...

Also I forgot to tell you, but on the canal walk website or either the river district website they said that the ethyl property will be for residential ways, check them out because I'm hoping I read that right.

It'll be a mixture of office, residential, and retail/entertainment. Work on a new parking deck there that will clear the way for the other development will start this fall.

this is from the article that was linked earlier in this thread:

So after the parking deck is finished...

"About 7 acres will remain for the planned Foundry Park development, which would include offices, condominiums or apartments, retail and other entertainment and possibly a hotel, said Bruce Hazelgrove, vice president of corporate resources for NewMarket Corp., a holding company for Ethyl."

"Amy Bezanson, of MSTSD, said the five-level deck is designed to be a "front door" to Foundry Park and a bridge between the architectural styles of the bank to the east and NewMarket's headquarters to the west. The deck is planned to be built along Byrd with entrances and exits on 5th and 7th.

Along 7th, by the Federal Reserve Bank, the deck is expected to have a plaza with a fountain and a wide sidewalk and brick pavers to provide a pedestrian ambiance, Bezanson said."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually... early reports said work on the deck would begin in September... I take it work hasn't started yet?

Wonder what the hold up may be.... (maybe MWV? :))

Richmond is a "waiting game". :) Take the Spaghetti Works, for example. No shovel to dirt yet down there, tho admittedly, Ernesto diverted minds to more pressing matters. Also, who was it that posted just the other day a shot of 15th and Main? There was no sign of work underway on the park and Slave monument. And of course, we all know about the on again off again John Marshall - and not to mention the snail's pace in activity at M&R Hilton.

I'm going to be reckless and bet a quarter that MWV decides to stay on the land they presently occupy. But if they should decide on Founders Park, I'll go absolutely beserk and throw in an extra quarter. :lol:

Richmond is a "waiting game". :) Take the Spaghetti Works, for example. No shovel to dirt yet down there, tho admittedly, Ernesto diverted minds to more pressing matters. Also, who was it that posted just the other day a shot of 15th and Main? There was no sign of work underway on the park and Slave monument. And of course, we all know about the on again off again John Marshall - and not to mention the snail's pace in activity at M&R Hilton.

I'm going to be reckless and bet a quarter that MWV decides to stay on the land they presently occupy. But if they should decide on Founders Park, I'll go absolutely beserk and throw in an extra quarter. :lol:

If Burt's throwing money, I'm collecting!

The last time I referenced Richmond's typical pace on projects, the comment flew into the heavens instead of standing put on the ground. The Slave monument should not take much time and effort to get done. It'll be there in a blink of the eye. I don't know what's going on with the Cathedral Walk or whatever they call it now, but to put more asphalt down, I doubt a little flooding's going to hinder another parking lot. If the Marshall were to be condos, would you move there Burt?

• 2 weeks later...

check out this map from the National Folk Festival.... look at how they've blocked out a portion of the Fed parking lot for construction:

NFF_map_volunteer.jpg

It's a much larger amount of space than is needed for the parking deck...

Also, I don't think downtown's chances are so bad for the MWV HQ...aren't they supposed to announce their choice this month?

Archived