New Orleans Conventions now look to Atlanta

ironchapman

While Googling News results for New Orleans, I came across this interesting article.

Apparently, many conventions that were originally planned for New Orleans are now looking to Atlanta and the Georgia World Congress Center for accomodations. They say that they aren't looking to move to Atlanta, but only for temporary accomodation since New Orleans will not be able host them due to Katrina's devastation.

Check it out here: Washington Post: New Orleans Conventions Look to Atlanta

New Orleans Conventions Look to Atlanta

The Associated Press

Wednesday, August 31, 2005; 7:52 AM

ATLANTA -- Organizers with a number of conventions that had been planned for New Orleans are now looking to Atlanta as a possible backup after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Big Easy.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good for Atlanta's Chamber of Commerce and with all the attractions opening (and NOLA being out for at least a few months), plus panhandlers being dismissed for city center, the Big Peach may be impressive enough to possibly steal one or two conventions for good.

As much of a benefit as I think this will be to the city, I feel a little guilty considering how we got them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put your mind to ease hun.

You should not feel guilty and neither should Atlanta. Unfortunately a natural disaster greater than we could have imagined has hit New Orleans. As you may know, New Orleans, like Atlanta, Las Vegas, Chicago and Orlando host some of the country's largest conventions yearly. Many of these conventions take many many months of planning.

Noone could have foreseen such devastation that has occured in New Orleans.

These conventions must go on. Atlanta did not seek them out......these conventions decided that Atlanta (I'm sure Orlando, Vegas and Chicago are being contacted also) would suit their temporary needs in terms of hotel rooms, ease of transportation, convention space and other amenities. I think Atlanta should do whatever it can to ease the burden on it's sister city to the southwest. There are countless refugees from the greater New Orleans area here as well. Many of them are even trying to figure out how to get their children into local schools. We should make their stay in Atlanta as pleasurable as possible considering what they have gone through.

They and the conventions, I'm sure, are eager to be back in New Orleans.

We as a city will gladly do whatever it takes to graciously accomodate the citizens and activities for the city of New Orleans until she is able to stand back on her own feet. When New Orleans is ready, which it will be, these conventions will surely go back to the Big Easy. Where else can you experience a city like New Orleans?

I usually attend two large medical meeting per year, ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncologists), which is in Atlanta this year, and ASH (American Society of Hematology) which was supposed to be in New Orleans. There are only a handful of cities able to host this due to size of convention space required and hotel requirements. As a matter of fact, ASCO is now down to a rotation of Atlanta, New Orleans, Chicago, and Orlando and may have to cut out Atlanta and New Orleans soon. Anyway, I know for a fact ASH is going to be moving and Atlanta is one of only a handful of cities that could potentially handle it.

I would hope Atlanta DIDNT seek them out, as you said Lady Celeste...as it DID when 911 happened.  How ebarrasing for the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The organizations that were holding the conventions contacted the GA World Congress Center by themselves. Atlanta did not go out and ask them to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, it is also rumored that the Sugar Bowl might also come here this year and until the SuperDome can be rebuilt.

There still is a chance it could stay in Louisiana, though, if work crews can repair it on time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait, I'm not a sports chick but I thought Atlanta already had a bowl here. Can they have two bowls in one city?

Wait, I'm not a sports chick but I thought Atlanta already had a bowl here. Can they have two bowls in one city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, three cities around the nation have two bowl games. There's already been talk of bringing a second one to Atlanta permanently.

In fact, here's a UP thread from the sports section on it:

Two Bowl Games for Atlanta?

Just remember that this is only a temporary move until New Orleans can host it somewhere (I say somewhere because the Superdome my be torn down.)

Apparently, it is also rumored that the Sugar Bowl might also come here this year and until the SuperDome can be rebuilt.

There still is a chance it could stay in Louisiana, though, if work crews can repair it on time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It, along with the New Orleans bowl, will most likely be played in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

The plan is that if New Orleans has enough of it's hotel rooms open, the fans would be able to stay in downton New Orleans.

Because if you think about it...the two largest tourist areas of New Orleans, the CBD and the French Quarter, didnt sustain much damage in Katrina.

BTW, How large is Atlanta's convention center in terms of Square feet available?

Most of the conventions in New Orleans are their for the facts that 1. its New Orleans, and 2. the convention center in N.O. has around 3 million sq. feet of meeting space available and was beggining a 500,000 sq. foot addition.

I imagine ATL's convention center is very large as well due to the fact that Atlanta has become such a major city.

^Thanks alot IC, that was great info.

They and the conventions, I'm sure, are eager to be back in New Orleans.

We as a city will gladly do whatever it takes to graciously accomodate the citizens and activities for the city of New Orleans until she is able to stand back on her own feet. When New Orleans is ready, which it will be, these conventions will surely go back to the Big Easy. Where else can you experience a city like New Orleans?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree, Most of these conventions that are in N.O. have no interest in leaving for good. New Orleans will most certainly be back, and it will be better then ever, and all the business that left the city will be back.

But, for right now, Atlanta, along with cities like Baton Rouge, Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte, are helping the people and businesses of New Orleans, which of course..is greatly appreciated! :)

^Thanks alot IC, that was great info.

I totally agree, Most of these conventions that are in N.O. have no interest in leaving for good. New Orleans will most certainly be back, and it will be better then ever, and all the business that left the city will be back.

But, for right now, Atlanta, along with cities like Baton Rouge, Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte, are helping the people and businesses of New Orleans, which of course..is greatly appreciated! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are NOT saying that the conventions are leaving for good. they are merely seeking temporary accomodation because New Orleans is in no state host them and won;t be for a while. The same is true with the Sugar Bowl.

They are NOT saying that the conventions are leaving for good. they are merely seeking temporary accomodation because New Orleans is in no state host them and won;t be for a while. The same is true with the Sugar Bowl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should have worded my earlier statement diferently.

I was talking about businesses in general, not just conventions going from New Orleans to Atlanta.

Much of the media is still following the "no one will return to N.O." theory in order to make all of this seem more dramatic. At points they try their best to make it seem like New Orleans will just vanish, which it will most certainly not do.

It appears we will after all be picking up two of New Orleans' conventions. We will be hosting conventions for the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the American Society of Hematology. They will be hosted in October and December, respectively.

Check it out here

• 2 months later...

Archived