Charlotte out of Gasoline

monsoon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been riding transit for the last several days and probably will do so for a while now......the car is half-full should I need it.

Not to wish hardship on people, but I wouldn't mind at all if the prices were sustained to the point that people began to reconsider where they chose to live. For the first time ever in the last two days I've heard people claim they were unwilling to drive across town to do something based solely on the price of gas.

someone i know who works for nbc told me that the 2 main pipelines that supply the east coast have been shut down... supposedly 1 of them will be back up soon, but analysts expect gas prices to spike up to $4 or more a gallon... temporarily.

I've been riding transit for the last several days and probably will do so for a while now......the car is half-full should I need it.

Not to wish hardship on people, but I wouldn't mind at all if the prices were sustained to the point that people began to reconsider where they chose to live.  For the first time ever in the last two days I've heard people claim they were unwilling to drive across town to do something based solely on the price of gas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the first time in Charlotte, I heard people discussing the benefits of transit vs. car..... and transit was winning.

And Europe must be laughing its ass off at us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the long run this is great for transit and development. Hueion39 was poking fun at me since he walks a whopping 8 blocks from home to work and hasn't filled up his tank in weeks. I guess living in the cneter city does have its perks.

In the long run this is great for transit and development. Hueion39 was poking fun at me since he walks a whopping 8 blocks from home to work and hasn't filled up his tank in weeks. I guess living in the cneter city does have its perks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah. It didn't do any of this in the 70s when you simply could not buy gas. People are going to drive, and continue to live in the suburbs. They will just get rid of the 10mpg SUVs like the the 10mpg lincolns in the 70s.

I fear price gouging will be rampant at least temporarily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of hope it is. For once I actually have a legitimate need to travel out of town, and it looks like there won't be any gas available. If gouging prevents depletion, then I'm all for it.

I filled up Sunday night at a Gate station in Concord near Lowes Motor Speedway. I knew this was gonna happen. I paid 2.49 for 87 grade. I left for Charleston around noon and noticed the gas was now at 2.69 for 87 at the same station.. Im going out in a bit to try and fill up so I can get back to Charlotte the weekend. Wish me luck. I heard on a radio station driving into Charleston that some places were up 50cents just today. Whats happening to this great country

For you whippersnappers that don't remember the 70s.

When gas is rationed, people will plan their trips better and don't just hop in the car to do one thing.

They also hoard gas. If allowed 10 gallons, and the tank has room for 7, they fill a gas can and get the rest while they are able.

There will be some nitwits that siphon gas from parked cars, and end up in the emergency room. :sick:

It can be real annoying if we operate under "odd/even" restrictions... and your household has cars out of gas that are all odd, or all even plates on the wrong day... :whistling:

My wife and I were running on fumes on the way home. We had no clue what we were in for. I finally stopped at the Mobil at Park and Woodlawn. The guy in front of us was cool because he let us cut in front of him after we told him our story. They only had Premium for $3.29. Not bad considering the situation and what could have been if we hadn't made it.

Even at $4/gallon, gasoline is about half the cost of bottled water which is usually $1/pint. Even the water on sale is the same cost as gasoline. There's something odd about that.

Nah.  It didn't do any of this in the 70s when you simply could not buy gas.  People are going to drive, and continue to live in the suburbs.  They will just get rid of the 10mpg SUVs like the the 10mpg lincolns in the 70s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus, the new Corvette C6 ZO6 just debuted. :)

Although, seriously, it gets better gas mileage than an SUV.

Archived