Charlotte out of Gasoline

monsoon

One other thing I thought interesting...

I looked on Wikipedia.org at the Hurricane Katrina entry... It has a section that speaks of the gas shortages caused by the Hurricane.. This is a quote:

"Emphasizing the seriousness of the situation and in light of similar incidents in his own state, Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina has issued a statement asking all North Carolinians to conserve gas, limit fuel consumption and non-essential road trips, and state employees to car pool.[18]"

Does anyone else think this was a poor move by the Governer? True, we may reach a shortage.... But by announcing this I think the shortage will be reached MUCH quicker, and would possibly have not even happened but for a day or two... Now it looks like we will run out quickly and that we will be several days without gas... I dunno, just an observation

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I were running on fumes on the way home. We had no clue what we were in for. I finally stopped at the Mobil at Park and Woodlawn. The guy in front of us was cool because he let us cut in front of him after we told him our story. They only had Premium for $3.29. Not bad considering the situation and what could have been if we hadn't made it.

Even at $4/gallon, gasoline is about half the cost of bottled water which is usually $1/pint. Even the water on sale is the same cost as gasoline. There's something odd about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the lines stretching into the street from the Citgo and Petro Express stations on Park and Woodlawn. It was ridiculous. The One The Run station at that same corner had all of their pumps bagged. I've never seen anything like this. I hope it never gets to the point similar to the scene in War of the Worlds in which the people in that one town basically mobbed the dad and his kids and had the car taken at gunpoint. :unsure:

2-3 hour gas lines were common in the 1970s and for the most part everyone got along. I agree that peeps are more hostile now, but hopefully it won't come to War of the Worlds. Maybe it was the disco music playing on every radio channel that kept everyone in a decent mood back then. :lol:

The governer was a little on the slow side if you ask me. Tell the state "we are short on gas" and of course that will cause a stampede to the gas stations. Even the stations up here at the lake had a few short lines. Just to be on the safe side, I went and filled up my 5 gal gas can at a country Exxon but there were no lines there. Glad we filled the boat up this weekend.

Easley didn't have much choice. Imagine if he didn't warn the public and we did run out of gasoline. Then we'd all be saying, "Why didn't the governor warn us?"

Also, if I was a Democrat governor with an oil industry-friendly president in office, I might create a commotion about gasoline shortages too. Just a thought...

People are morons. I haven't seen a single reputable source say there is a supply problem, and delivery isn't even completely cut out. Yet because people hear their fellow dumbasses at Walmart screaming "OMGF TEH GAS SHORTAGE!1," they rush out, fill their car which already has 3/4 of a tank, and then fill up some extra gas containers "just in case."

Self-fulfilled prophecy.

Does anyone else think this was a poor move by the Governer? True, we may reach a shortage.... But by announcing this I think the shortage will be reached MUCH quicker, and would possibly have not even happened but for a day or two... Now it looks like we will run out quickly and that we will be several days without gas... I dunno, just an observation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. People love to work themselves into a frenzy over unsubstantiated rumors anytime they get a chance, so slapping the Government Mismanagement Seal of Approval only made things worse. The local media didn't help, either.

People are morons. I haven't seen a single reputable source say there is a supply problem, and delivery isn't even completely cut out. Yet because people hear their fellow dumbasses at Walmart screaming "OMGF TEH GAS SHORTAGE!1," they rush out, fill their car which already has 3/4 of a tank, and then fill up some extra gas containers "just in case."

Self-fulfilled prophecy.

I agree with you. People love to work themselves into a frenzy over unsubstantiated rumors anytime they get a chance, so slapping the Government Mismanagement Seal of Approval only made things worse. The local media didn't help, either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WBT radio had a guy from the N.C. Energy Commission. Is that reputable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little judgemental today, are we? :blink:

The Charlotte observer said that 30 out of the 230 gas stations in Charlotte were shut down due to running out of gas. Here in Raleigh there are at least a dozen that has suspended service due to the same.

Highest prices I've heard at the office here in raleigh were $3.30, $3.22, and there were still a couple that were $2.99. Sheesh 30 cents rise in one night.

It would seem they could just reroute gas from other pipelines coming in from the west. Inadequate infrastucture may be the cause of this.

The Charlotte observer said that 30 out of the 230 gas stations in Charlotte were shut down due to running out of gas.  Here in Raleigh there are at least a dozen that has suspended service due to the same. 

Highest prices I've heard at the office here in raleigh were $3.30, $3.22, and there were still a couple that were $2.99. Sheesh 30 cents rise in one night.

It would seem they could just reroute gas from other pipelines coming in from the west. Inadequate infrastucture may be the cause of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those 30 are out of gas because people were freaking out yesterday. Many stations said they would be getting more fuel either today or tomorrow. Again, the prices are going up because people are rushing out to buy as much gas as they can. If people had been getting gas at the normal rate, then none of the stations would be out.

Inadequate infrastucture may be the cause of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've heard, you're right. To compensate, the EPA has temporarily lifted regulations on fuel grade in order to allow redistribution of gas throughout the country. Also, foreign gas will likely be imported. It just takes a little time.

From www.WBT.com:

We don't have a shortage of gasoline. We have a delivery problem,'' said Bill Weatherspoon, executive director of the North Carolina Petroleum Council...

full article: http://www.wbt.com/news/detail_wbt.cfm?article_id=23439

This will pass in a couple of days. As more people see that gas stations are still open and selling gas, the panic will subside. The Observer is reporting that both pipelines are going to be operating at 50 - 60% capacity by this weekend. Just spread the word around to everyone you meet, chill out, and everything should return to normal. There was plenty of gas stations open this morning and mid afternoon, in Charlotte, and I didn't see long lines at the pump. The Times Turn Around in Belmont, that the Observer had mentioned was closed, is back open again, with no lines.

This reminds me of one of the old fashioned runs on banks that used to happen before federal insurance on bank accounts. People just need to relax. Gas will still be there. The higher prices should stop some morons from unnecessarily filling up their tanks and driving for no reason too and this will help the problem.

I don't know. You tell me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I would say yes, that's why I posted what I heard on the radio.. I would think he knows more about the situation than I do. Of course it could have been a sham, one of those radio hoaxes where the DJ pretended to be with the Energy Comission.

Well after paying $85 to put 25 gallons of gas in my boat Saturday night, it appears that gas prices are on their way down now. For the stations that are open the price of regular has dropped to $3.29 from $3.49.

Most of the stations at the Lake were closed on Friday, but many more are open now. Ironically, none of the marinas on the lake ran out of gas since cars can't get to them to fill up.

Cheaper E85 and BioDiesel will be in Charlotte on Tuesday. :D

Archived