Gas in your city...

NOcityrox

Well, its happened. Charlotte has ran out of gas!! Thanks to Katrina 2 pipelines for the east got cut off and won't be running until later. Charlotte is expected to run out over the weekend. (Which is great for Labor Day trips :D ) Gas is also $3.01. What's the deal with your city?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my way to work this morning I passed several gas stations and all seemed to be around 2.50 to 2.70. At lunch I watched as most gas stations in Spartanburg either ran out of gas or the price was raised to 2.99 or more.When I arrived back in Greenville(White horse rd area)

gas was 3.29. Now tell me how gas can go from 2.50 a gallon to 3.29 a gallon in 1 day. This just goes to show that the government needs to get off their lazy a** and start focusing on alturnitive fuel sources.If gas gets any higher it will end up sending the country into a depression.

Luckily we filled up right before the gas ceiling broke.

Unfortunately I'm one of the person who happens to have a vehicle that holds 31 gallons and requires premium fuel. It will cost me $100 dollars to fill up. That sure makes a Honda Insight look really good right about now. :unsure:

We won't be driving to see the grandparents but maybe once this week...if that. :(

Many stations around metro Columbus and Atlanta have ran out. Some stations have lines of 20-30 cars! This is crazy! I heard the lines that feed into GA will be up and running by this weekend though. I have seen prices from $2.81 to $3.29!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the 1970s repeated all over again. Its unfortunate that we forgot the lessons learned during that decade and scrapped all the alternative energy programs that Jimmy Carter started.

On my way to work this morning I passed several gas stations and all seemed to be around 2.50 to 2.70. At lunch I watched as most gas stations in Spartanburg either ran out of gas or the price was raised to 2.99 or more.When I arrived back in Greenville(White horse rd area)

gas was 3.29. Now tell me how gas can go from 2.50 a gallon to 3.29 a gallon in 1 day. This just goes to show that the government needs to get off their lazy a** and start focusing on alturnitive fuel sources.If gas gets any higher it will end up sending the country into a depression.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen :thumbsup:

I really hope that the rising cost of gas will help leaders of southern cities to implement more public transportation options (such as more rail lines and extended hours for buses).

Too many people in the south look down on people that use public transportation and they think that this type of transportation is only for poor or low class citizens.

The south is too car dependent and maybe the rising costs of gas is a wake up call for everyone to begin using other options when it comes to transportation.

Until we have more mass transit alternatives a reality, there are several ideas that can ease prices:

*contact your state representatives to institute a freeze on prices

*report suspecting gas stations for price goughing to your state's attorney general's office and/or BBB

*if you live within a mile of your work, ride a bike or walk

*avoid high priced gas stations

*invest in gas rewards cards

I heard on the news that somewhere in Lincolnton gas was up to $3.99/gallon... I'm almost afraid to see what it will be when I get home tonight. Thankfully I drive a compact economy car (Hyundai Accent) that get 27-33 mpg, but the tank only holds about 10 gallons. I have to take a 600 mile trip to Tampa on 9/11... I hope it comes down and I dont get stranded...

And in reading the article. Even if they price gouging the state couldn't do anything. Just read this.

South Carolina's price-gouging law cannot be used to fight any gasoline price hikes unless the governor declares a state of emergency, said Mark Plowden, a spokesman for State Attorney General Henry McMaster.

The law only applies to the area in which the emergency has been declared and is normally used in the event of natural disasters, such as hurricanes or other storms, he said.

During a state of emergency, according to the law, it is illegal to rent or sell or offer to rent or sell a commodity at an "unconscionable price" within the area for which the state of emergency is declared.

Unconscionable price, McMaster's office explained, means an amount charged which either represents a "gross disparity" or "grossly exceeds" the average price available for the item in the same area 30 days immediately before a declaration of a state of emergency.

Which makes one wonder how high would he let this go. :unsure:

Archived