Gasoline In Atlanta Metro

monsoon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monsoon, the gas is not running out but there has been a surge in demand here in the metro area. From what I have seen, gas prices are about $3.09 (premium) when I was taxing my child from school. I got there right as the bottom feel out and now there are amazing lines waiting for fillups.

Governor Perdue has asked people not to panic. Looking at the news, I think he was a tad bit too late. :unsure:

I was in Columbus today for business, and I heard that many of the gas stations in metro Columbus were running out. Some stations had lines 20-30 cars deep. Auburn/Opelika area and Macon, GA have many stations without gas. This is only a temporary thing. A gas line that feeds GA has shutdown but is expected to be working by this weekend.

It's because the pipeline serving Atlanta broke two days ago during the storm. You all have a 10 day reserve. So, yes, if they don't fix the pipe Atlanta will actually run out of gas, for real, in about a week. Not high prices, but run out.

Anyway, it will almost certainly be fixed, so that won't happen. But it's a nice little wake up call for such an auto-oriented city. Part of me even wishes that my hometown were actually under threat of a total dry tank too. I don't envy the pain it would cause my wallet, but I would love the reaction from the Suburban/F350/H2 crowd.

As a self-righteous libertarian, I enjoy watching other people's bad economic choices finally catch up with them!! Though more importantly, after watching a true human tragedy unfold on the gulf coast, I don't really give a rats you-know-what if some people are upset with $3.50 gas.

atlanta0wo.jpg

Clear cut profiteering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my word.........I will not be taking my children with me anywhere I go...at most I can only take two at a time. This is crazy and people wonder why we shouldn't make the rebuilding of New Orleans a national priority. This not only affects the Gulf Coast, it affects the country as a whole.

Well, I was considering attending a funeral in Atlanta on Saturday and just making a Labor Day weekend out of it, but I guess that won't be happening. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about the prices. In most of the metro and the city, it is anywhere from 2.70~4.00 (notice that I included the "~" to say "about"). Most of Georgia's gas comes from our ports and sources other than Louisiana. Lady Celeste was right in her first post.

I have heard of only one or two that have prices in the 5.70's. The only place in metro atlanta I have heard of selling gas that high are a couple of gas stations in Gwinnett County. I hvae talked with several people tonight about gas prices (several of which work in Atlanta), and they looked at me like I was some kind of nut when I siad that gas was $6 in a couple of stations in Gwinnett.

The governor declared a state of emergency so you will see those 4, 5, and 6 dollar prices disappear today. It's about 3 dollars.

People have been going nuts, but it seemed to calm down a lot this morning. Most of what I've heard from friends is that the gas stations are pretty much back to normal. There is no shortage yet.

Hopefully a lot of people will wise up and cut down on trips and be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Heh heh, much as I thought, this gas panic has caused a boom in public transportation use. Gwinnett County's bus service, for example, had record ridership this morning, and MARTA is having to increase the frequency of its train service on both lines. Apparently people actually do realize that there is a such thing as transit after all.

Public Transportation Booms

It's the AJC, so you'll have to be registered to use it.

Lady Celeste...

I agree that helping the residents of NO should be a national priority, but I hope that this tragedy will spark a national debate about the consequences of our decisions. As long as Americans keep building along the shoreline, especially one as delicate as the Mississippi delta, this sort of tragedy will continue to occur. Maybe only once every 50 years, but it WILL happen again.

With regards to gas, I think Purdue needs to but the hell out of the free market. If an owner wants to charge $5 for a gallon of gasoline, that is his/her right. If you don't like the price, don't buy the gas. If you have no choice but to pay that for gas because of where or how you live, that is no one's fault but your own (just for the record, I am not directing this at Lady Celeste, but rather society as a whole). No one forced you to move to the burbs. No one forced you to drive a car that gets 12 MPG. We have made our own bed by making terribly horible energy decisions over the last 20 years, and whether it is Hurricane Katrina or some jackass blowing up a pipeline in Iraq, or civil war in Nigeria, it will always be something. Our energy situation is tenable at best. Churchill once said that "America can be counted on to do whats right, when all other options have been exhausted". As a country we will only start to adjust our lifestyles when we are forced to out of financial neccessity. Hopefully (although I doubt it) we will see this as a wakeup call and realize that the era of cheap oil is coming to an end and something will have to give.

Archived