Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

There's a report on Richmond City Watch that a store called American Apparel is "close to opening in Richmond and Norfolk".

Sounds kinda sexy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm. Odd, this news created a lot of chatter on Richmond forums, but not a whisper here.

Edited by burt

Hmmmm.  Odd, this news created a lot of chatter on Richmond forums, but not a whisper here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was already reported in the "stores/retail you would like to see in SE VA" thread in the HR forum (but don't quote me on this). For some reason we seem to have a wealth of people with inside info on the retail front. :lol: I'd weed through it and find the particular post, but thats a lot or info to go through.

Guy and vdogg, if u will go to RCW, New Developments, Downtown Retail and look for epheme's entry on Sept 7th, you'll learn all you want to know about American Apparel. The store's entry into the Richmond and Norfolk markets would be, in some people's judgment, a coup for each city - and a rather daring coup at that!!

Same could be said for Coyote Ugly's entry into the Richmond club scene.

Edited by burt

So American Apparel is one of those trendy stores that makes and sells plain shirts and sweats that you have embroidered or printed with a design from their catalog or with one of your own designs? I wouldn't really consider it a coup so much as a signal that Norfolk and Richmond have a population of artsy kids not just blue collar. From their website it looks like AA is on an expansion blitz. Funny thing, I don't see VA on its coming soon list.

• 1 month later...

Don't know how feasible this is, but why not build a third anchor with a hotel on top or something? I could see that... :rolleyes:

I'm REALLY hoping for a Bloomingdale's for the third anchor. Macy's lost its luster IMO.

Depending on land valuations, I think it's feasible. Chicago has 3 such mall/office/hotel/condo combos: Water Tower Place (Marshall Field's), Chicago Place (Sak's), and 900 North Michigan (Blommie's). I know Montreal has the same. After the merger, Macy's will not be as exclusive as it once was. Then again, it hasn't been exclusive in the past couple years as it is one of the larger chains. I believe that once Macy's proves itself in the HR market, Federated will reverse its decision not to build a Bloomie's at MacArthur. This should probably take 5 years. By then, available land in downtown will be scarce and such a tower may make sense.

Depending on land valuations, I think it's feasible. Chicago has 3 such mall/office/hotel/condo combos: Water Tower Place (Marshall Field's), Chicago Place (Sak's), and 900 North Michigan (Blommie's). I know Montreal has the same. After the merger, Macy's will not be as exclusive as it once was. Then again, it hasn't been exclusive in the past couple years as it is one of the larger chains. I believe that once Macy's proves itself in the HR market, Federated will reverse its decision not to build a Bloomie's at MacArthur. This should probably take 5 years. By then, available land in downtown will be scarce and such a tower may make sense.

Doesn't even have to be in cities that big. There is a Ritz Carlton attached to the Galleria mall in Tyson's Corner, in NoVa. Would be a perfect place for a nice hotel I think.

Doesn't even have to be in cities that big. There is a Ritz Carlton attached to the Galleria mall in Tyson's Corner, in NoVa. Would be a perfect place for a nice hotel I think.

I wouldn't mind a medium size classy hotel right there on that green grass on the corner of Monticello and Freemason. :thumbsup::whistling:

Edited by rusthebuss

I wouldn't mind a medium size classy hotel right there on that green grass on the corner of Monticello and Freemason. :thumbsup::whistling:

Russ, you mean that same plot of land that you said that they would'nt build on... :rofl:

Just kidding man. I hope they build something there. Its not big enough to be a "park", but big enough for a building. Might as well put it to use.

Russ, you mean that same plot of land that you said that they would'nt build on... :rofl:

Just kidding man. I hope they build something there. Its not big enough to be a "park", but big enough for a building. Might as well put it to use.

They, being Taubman, will wait until Bloomingdale's and Sak's seek a restraining order against MacArthur Center solicitors before they look towards building something else like a B&N/Best Buy anchor, hotel, or office tower.