Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Champion Brewery from Charlottesville considers buying the old Unitarian church along the Hague across from the Chrysler Museum and converting it into a brewery. 

https://www.google.com/amp/pilotonline.com/life/flavor/alcohol/champion-brewing-co-considers-historic-church-along-the-hague-for/article_02a857a7-7f16-5e4b-bece-5e8feadee5f3.amp.html

• Like 2

Open House was today between 10 AM and 2 PM for prospective tenants of the new business incubator at "Selden Market." (Formerly known as "Selden Arcade.")

I continue to believe that this is a great idea, just not at Selden.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/retail/selden-market-open-house-this-saturday-for-prospective-businesses/article_0c97e7d0-faa3-5ac3-a3f1-f1f28903d45d.html

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow, the new Selden Market will announce opening dates for its shops and restaurants. I look forward to hearing what they have in mind...hopefully at least one restaurant will keep later hours.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/blogs/nate-delesline/selden-market-to-announce-tenants-opening-date-wednesday/article_3ae4836a-e458-5d90-9044-88af54d79a21.html

• 4 weeks later...

Applebee's on Monticello Avenue open on Monday October 9th. The place looks decent but I'm curious how it will do next door to the 7-Eleven. 

There is also a new place going in next door to 219 Bistro on Granby.  A poke place ( raw fish salads/bowls) and deserts.  Edible Arrangements used to be there.

The convenience store is fine. I go there. People hang out on the street, whatever. It's nothing  menacing.  If potential consumers can't take that, then why are they downtown? They should expect a bit of street activity. 

Applebee's is not my favorite.  That would be an understatement. However, they will fill a gap. 

Edited by baobabs727

^ ?  I wasn't speaking of or to present residents. I would guess that they already understand. There is no way that the permanent population could sustain this restaurant.  Accordingly, I was referring to visitors.  They are the ones who will sustain that establishment. 

But please do reconsider. We will never get another grocery store if people leave! 

hair of the dog eatery opening 400 block granby..... 

coming soon.  now they should do very well. 

v      thanks, below.     v

Edited by baobabs727

Applebee's and BWW provide nice, inexpensive chain options, but I think there should be a fast food spot somewhere. I know there's a McDonald's and Popeye's on the other side of St. Paul Blvd., and I believe Burger King is still in the MacArthur food court.

However, I think Norfolk lacks a true fast food option in downtown proper, unless you count the two Subways. I'd love to see a Wendy's or something on the ground floor of one of the buildings near TCC.

• 1 month later...

Went to Tap It Local  last night, huge bar! Basically just 2 floors of awesomeness. Upstairs and downstairs bar, giant Jenga, pool, etc. This will definitely become a Norfolk staple and last night it was absolutely packed. Also saw this getting built immediately next door.

20171118_220749.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Went to Tap It Local  last night, huge bar! Basically just 2 floors of awesomeness. Upstairs and downstairs bar, giant Jenga, pool, etc. This will definitely become a Norfolk staple and last night it was absolutely packed. Also saw this getting built immediately next door.

20171118_220749.jpg

Downtown needs this badly. I'm still disappointed Granby Social Club didn't take off. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How about another brewery? Elation Brewing Co. will be in the Park Place area of Colley Avenue (that area the hipsters call NoCo). It's the building across the street from University Pizza and Chow that was a storefront church for many years. There are signs up stating that there will be a brewery and a yoga studio(!) in the building, with an email address for neighbors who have questions or concerns. No web presence yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...