Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

They should make it a three story or taller that would have a Bestbuy, B&N, maybe smaller stores intermingled in there.

I agree, there is no need to waste anymore space. We dont need anymore Box buildings. If its a Best buy, or B&N make sure there is somthing on top. Condos, office space, whatever.

Doesn't even have to be in cities that big. There is a Ritz Carlton attached to the Galleria mall in Tyson's Corner, in NoVa. Would be a perfect place for a nice hotel I think.

I can do you one better: the Doubletree at Military Circle. However, the reason I brought up the other buildings is that the mall is within the office/hotel/condo tower unlike Tyson's Galleria and Military Circle which have hotels attached to the mall.

Does anyone want to place any bets as to when/if Norfolk will land any upscale clothiers that market to business professionals? I'm talking along the lines of a Club Monaco or Hugo Boss or something. I think that as the commercial sector of the city continues to expand, eventually the stores will have to greet a need for upscale business-oriented clothing. I hope that one of the new projects (maybe the plot of land near MacArthur?) can include something like this...

Does anyone want to place any bets as to when/if Norfolk will land any upscale clothiers that market to business professionals? I'm talking along the lines of a Club Monaco or Hugo Boss or something. I think that as the commercial sector of the city continues to expand, eventually the stores will have to greet a need for upscale business-oriented clothing. I hope that one of the new projects (maybe the plot of land near MacArthur?) can include something like this...

I think when Norfolk actually gets some real high paying jobs DT. I think that we still have a ways to go and the housing coming DT is actually making it more attractive to outside companies and such to give Norfolk more of a role besides military. Our big key is to be less dependant on the military for our pay and to change it from being the biggest employer in the city. We need jobs that make money point blank. This is what brings in those retailers cause people have the money to spend in those stores. :whistling:

I think when Norfolk actually gets some real high paying jobs DT. I think that we still have a ways to go and the housing coming DT is actually making it more attractive to outside companies and such to give Norfolk more of a role besides military. Our big key is to be less dependant on the military for our pay and to change it from being the biggest employer in the city. We need jobs that make money point blank. This is what brings in those retailers cause people have the money to spend in those stores. :whistling:

Norfolk is always going after higher paying jobs. Yes we do have a long ways to go and yes, the housing trend in downtown is in the right direction, but to say that we need to be less dependant on the military isn't going to get us there. In fact, the military is what has helped us get what we currently have. You need to remember and realize that it isn't less dependancy on the military, financial incentives, or subsidies that draw companies, it the market and quality of life that draws them. Just in case you don't realize, the Sentara Heart center, NSU RISE Center, ODU's increasing academic standard, and Norfolk's growing availability of middle-to-high income housing among others are the real reasons that Norfolk's business WILL grow, NOT the decreasing dependancy of the military. If anything, it's because of the military that Norfolk and the region remains a strong market for technological based jobs.

Just thought I would share some information on our market through some studies made from my economics professor at TCC and business school at ODU.

My point that I was trying to make is that the military is good but most businesses tend to stay away from strongly dependant markets with the high transient populations. Yes the military makes are market strong but at the same time it henders it from major private market expansion. When I say less dependant on the military I mean for the private sector to grow exponentially beyond what the military is now. I don't know if that will ever happen but I hope that it does. Right now DT doesn't have as many high paying jobs that it should and I'm hoping with the residential expansions in the DT market this will attract more higher paying jobs in DT with all the new culture that is taking off there. We will see

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sitting on this for about a week now but I think I finally have enough info to say something. I have received word that there is to be a major retail development North of Brambleton on Granby street. They are in extremely early stages on this but some businesses have been acquired to make way for the parking garage for this development. The development of Granby tower has had a major impact on the retailer deciding to locate in this particular location. That is all I can say for now as no official annoucement has been made but this is definately in the works. I will try my hardest to nail down some form of timeline on this as well as the exact scale of this. I have only been told of a retail component but there may be other things in the works. If I were to guess I'd say on the order of 1-2 years.

Please Norfolk no big box store!!!!!

I fear this as well but I think that location will be good for retail. I only hope they incorporate it in the bottom of a tower or if not at least give it an urban feel. We'll see, at either rate I think it's good news.

Aw mayn... now you're teasing us :P

I know, but i agreed not to say which store it was. As I said, it is preliminary and they still have some hoops to jump through. I can confirm that some buildings have been purchased so it is a definate. Beyond that, I agreed not to say until an official annoucement is made. As I said, i'm working on a time table and as soon as I can confirm one i'll let you know.

I know, but i agreed not to say which store it was. As I said, it is preliminary and they still have some hoops to jump through. I can confirm that some buildings have been purchased so it is a definate. Beyond that, I agreed not to say until an official annoucement is made. As I said, i'm working on a time table and as soon as I can confirm one i'll let you know.

V - What do you do? How do you get all this insider information?

This is exciting news for Norfolk! I have been waiting to hear something such as this happen for the city. Aside of the mall there is not a whole lot of upscale retail in the city save for some eclectic ones here and there around DT and the Ghent area.

Is it going to be where the pawn shops and other run down buildings are? Like from the c/o Brambleton & Granby going north?

Isn't the bus station right there on the corner of Brambleton and Granby?