Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I wonder how big DT will be in the next 20 years?

If the last few days have been any indication... VERY BIG. :D

I won't ask for the store, because I don't want you to get berrated for leaking the info... but I'll give you 4 "classes" of stores... tell which one lol.

Level A: Nordstroms

Level B: Parisian

Level C: Saks

Level D: Neiman Marcus.

Those probably aren't even the right type of stores, but I was going for price-ranges. If you can't say... I understand... but.... a hint ? :D:D:D

Ok off topic here - I recall the mall cost $300m to build but I can't recall how much the city had invested ($50m maybe?). I also remember people had mixed feelings about the mall even being successful. Some said it was insane being at the time the city was severely strapped for cash one reason being a lot of real estate property is gov't owned which is not taxable. And now look now what is happening. I would definitely say the gamble they made paid - is being paid - off handsomely.

Real quick, the city spent $100 million on the project which included the parking garages and Nordstrom. Also the property in which is the mall is on was owned by the city (now Taubman owns it) not the federal government making it taxable. The main purpose was to get people downtown, since people have to come from all kinds of directions to get to the mall, it opened the doors for businesses to take advantage to the added traffic. So not only is the mall a major success, it has had a spillover effect on the rest of downtown.

Great news indeed, but about the coffee shop. Wouldn't the other corner be better? I mean who would want to be sitting outside sipping on a frappacino on the corner of Granby & Brambleton with bumper to bumper traffic, exhaust fumes, and honking horns? The other corner would be so much better, plus isn't there supposed to be some type of park on the other end???

Believe it or not, I don't think Marathon thought it would be a good idea to have that star... err... coffee shop at Brambleton and Granby but it's obviously there because that coffeeshop wants LOTS of exposure and when you think deeper into it, that coffee shop will be the first connector to upcoming retail across the street. Imagine being in that shop and across the street next to the Pilot office building you see Bloomingdales!

Damn I didn't realize mentioning Bloomingdales would cause excitement. That's only true to a certain level in which Bloomingdale's has been one of the few department stores that looked at coming downtown but not across from Granby. It was mentioned that they were interested in anchoring MacArthur but Macy's and Saks 5th Ave. has been said to be in high consideration too. In regards to what will pop up across the street from Granby, That's Decker territory there and he has gone on record to add "something very special". He previously planned on bring a high-end restaurant and lounge there until that project fell through due to an unsafe building.It's pretty obvioius that he will put retail similar to that of his previous project but if rumblings from VDogg are any indication, it will be on a higher level and that's why I mentioned Bloomingdales to make an example.

I tried to tell them ace but they didn't want to listen!

Haha thanks rus. I know it's public knowledge that Bloomingdales expressed interest in MacArthur and not Granby st. and that's why I posted it as more of an idea what COULD come and not what will come haha.

Haha thanks rus. I know it's public knowledge that Bloomingdales expressed interest in MacArthur and not Granby st. and that's why I posted it as more of an idea what COULD come and not what will come haha.

Is this recent? Didn't both Bloomingdale's and Sak's thumb their noses at MacArthur when it was in design a decade ago? Macy's was to be the third anchor before Federated bought them. Now with the takeover of May Co. and the revitalization of Downtown, is Federated looking to add their flagship brand (Bloomingdale's) to the area?

Edited by hoobo