Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

The weird thing is Janaf and the Military Highway corridor have redeveloped and blown up the last two - four years, while Military Circle is still a train wreck. Although it was renovated (long overdue) a few years ago, they still maintain the 'ghetto' stigma. Shootouts in the parking lot certainly don't help that image. It seems while everything around it is improving, the mall itself is stuck in a rut...and not likely to get better anytime soon. At this point it would almost take a complete shutdown and redevelopment of the mall to become a destination with the entire area again. There's simply too many poorly chosen tenants in the mall to make it feasible to be successfully redeveloped in its current state.

I think we are tying two different things together. On one hand, some of you are saying that the shops are ghetto and then their are others who say that the people are ghetto............Lets draw a clear line about this:

If you shop at Banana Republic and I shop at NY fashion, NY fashion is not "ghetto" because it is NY fashion, NY Fashion is a clothing store just like Banana Republic. This also does not mean I do not shop at Banana Republic, I just prefer to get my clothing from NY fashion. We could easily change this into a black/white discussion (as someone pointed out above and was thinking what I was thinking) and replace Banana Republic with "white shops" and NY fashion with "Black shops" (I prefer not to make this a racial discussion), but be clear about what your saying. The Macy's, Bloomindales, and Nordstrom

My point was in no way calling anyone or anything 'ghetto', it was that around the area Military Circle mall has a stigma, justified or unjustified. And while Janaf and Military explode with new development, the mall itself is going nowhere, and doesn't appear to be moving forward or able to move forward. Retailers do not give an area a stigma, in my opinion. Having worked at MacArthur, there was a huge concern two years ago about the mall's demographics shifting due to poor security, maintenance and rules. If Military Circle instituted a dress code (not code, but no hoods on, pants on your waist, ala MacArthur) kick out riff-raff and loiterers much more frequently, and increase police presence inside the mall (MacArthur always has two uniform officers on duty during non-holidays, four during holidays) the general public would be more likely to visit. As it stands, i personally only go to MC for movies, even tho there are shops in the mall i do shop at. I just personally don't like going to that particular mall.

They are moving the Pizza Hut location in Ghent on 21st to somewhere on Monticello between KFC and Rally's in the near future. I know this is just a Pizza Hut but I hope it doesn't stay a vacant building on 21st. That old Farm Fresh is enough. The good thing is that they building a new building for Pizza Hut. The bad thing is the building on 21 will be vacant and the street looks pretty good otherwise. Also Factory Card and Party Outlet is closing in JANAF shopping center and they are having a sale. I don't know why because people were always in that store when I was there. I also know they are putting something up in front of the Panera Bread in JANAF where some auto shop used to be and it moved to the corner of Princess Anne and Military Hwy.

Edited by Weaver24

They are moving the Pizza Hut location in Ghent on 21st to somewhere on Monticello between KFC and Rally's in the near future. I know this is just a Pizza Hut but I hope it doesn't stay a vacant building on 21st. That old Farm Fresh is enough. The good thing is that they building a new building for Pizza Hut. The bad thing is the building on 21 will be vacant and the street looks pretty good otherwise. Also Factory Card and Party Outlet is closing in JANAF shopping center and they are having a sale. I don't know why because people were always in that store when I was there. I also know they are putting something up in front of the Panera Bread in JANAF where some auto shop used to be and it moved to the corner of Princess Anne and Military Hwy.

Considering all the resturants that pop up on 21st St., I'd be real surprised if this location remained empty for long. I'd prefer something besides a fast-food chain though.

Others to consider:

Norfolk:

Todd Jurich's

Ate at Todd Jurich's during restaurant week. NOT IMPRESSED. Food wasn't bad, service was ass. Perhaps they don't like young people, but I can say I'm in no rush to go again. Friend was in town and it was a party of 8 I believe.

I was impressed by the Boot. Disclaimer, I know one of the people that runs it, but I will say it again. I was impressed by the boot, and am anxious to go back.

Haven't been to B&B.

I think we are tying two different things together. On one hand, some of you are saying that the shops are ghetto and then their are others who say that the people are ghetto............Lets draw a clear line about this:

If you shop at Banana Republic and I shop at NY fashion, NY fashion is not "ghetto" because it is NY fashion, NY Fashion is a clothing store just like Banana Republic. This also does not mean I do not shop at Banana Republic, I just prefer to get my clothing from NY fashion. We could easily change this into a black/white discussion (as someone pointed out above and was thinking what I was thinking) and replace Banana Republic with "white shops" and NY fashion with "Black shops" (I prefer not to make this a racial discussion), but be clear about what your saying. The Macy's, Bloomindales, and Nordstrom

Pizza Hut wanted to demolish its current building and rebuild years ago (we're talking late 90's) but the restrictive building codes would have meant that it would have to be up to the curb and fit in with the overall design of Ghent. PH wanted more of a parking lot or something like that. The strip mall next door somehow got around that (maybe because it was a pre-existing structure being added on to?).

I share your concerns about the empty space. 21st Street seems to be having a lot more trouble keeping businesses in the past couple of years. The new development behind The Palace Shops is still mostly vacant. I don't think that this corner will stay empty for long, but I didn't think the old Farm Fresh would still be vacant all these years later either. I like the uniqueness of Ghent, but even a few chains would be better than so many empty storefronts.

Pizza Hut wanted to demolish its current building and rebuild years ago (we're talking late 90's) but the restrictive building codes would have meant that it would have to be up to the curb and fit in with the overall design of Ghent. PH wanted more of a parking lot or something like that. The strip mall next door somehow got around that (maybe because it was a pre-existing structure being added on to?).

I share your concerns about the empty space. 21st Street seems to be having a lot more trouble keeping businesses in the past couple of years. The new development behind The Palace Shops is still mostly vacant. I don't think that this corner will stay empty for long, but I didn't think the old Farm Fresh would still be vacant all these years later either. I like the uniqueness of Ghent, but even a few chains would be better than so many empty storefronts.

I agree a few chains would be good for the area. The section where Moe's, Cold Stone and Total Wine looks good and those shops are needed for the people near the area and ODU students. I think high quality chains and no more pharmacies are needed for the area. That old Farm Fresh is an eyesore. At least Farm Fresh is making over GW Marketplace in Ghent and turning it into Farm Fresh's "The Market" concept. It would be nice if they work on the area that is north of Walgreens and keep the corridor going to Hampton Blvd.

Some new chain called El Pollo Loco is going in JANAF where the auto shop used to be, which was beside CITGO. Marshalls relocated to Haygood Shopping Center and they subleased their property to Conway. What you guys think of it? I been inside of it and didn't like it. The prices are cheap but alot of the things are low quality and the store didn't change any of the fixtures that Marshalls had. It makes the shopping center look low end on that part.

Small local stores bank on unique offerings

Six months before Barnes & Noble College Booksellers opened its two-level store in MacArthur Center, Sarah Pishko began preparing.

Pishko's shop, Prince Books, stands about four blocks from the new Barnes & Noble, which opened in August in downtown Norfolk. She brought in a consultant to assess the design of her store, hired a public relations firm, and signed up for an Internet-based service that helps her analyze sales and inventory.

Some new chain called El Pollo Loco is going in JANAF where the auto shop used to be, which was beside CITGO.

El Pollo Loco is a popular fast food restaurant especially in the midwest to west coast areas of the US. It's good to see them expanding business to the east coast now.

Yeah there seem to be a few west coast fast food chains popping up in the east now. I'm waiting for In-N-Out Burger to come over!! I could go for a double double animal protein style! (2 patties, 2 slices of cheese, wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun).

inandoutyum.jpg

Is Janaf the first El Pollo Loco location in VA? I haven't seen any on the east coast yet.

El Pollo Loco is a popular fast food restaurant especially in the midwest to west coast areas of the US. It's good to see them expanding business to the east coast now.

I think JANAF will be their first location and they didn't hit Virginia yet. Here is some information I found on their website....They will open 10 locations in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton and Suffolk.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts: Julie Weeks

El Pollo Loco

[email protected]

08/29/2006 - El Pollo Loco Signs 10-Restaurant Franchise Agreement for Virginia Restaurant Industry Veteran Introduces Virginia to Leading Mexican Fast-Casual Concept

IRVINE, CA

Edited by Weaver24

El Pollo Loco. Sweet, now y'all get to suffer with the rest of us and grow to like their food but hate their El Caliente: Keeper of the Flame commercials. They actually kill the chicken in front of you hence the name Crazy Chicken.

Yeah there seem to be a few west coast fast food chains popping up in the east now. I'm waiting for In-N-Out Burger to come over!! I could go for a double double animal protein style! (2 patties, 2 slices of cheese, wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun).

You forgot the animal style part: grilled onions, melted cheese, and thousand island sauce. Goes great on their fries.

It's great to see that Virginia was chosen as the first East Coast state to open and according to that press release, currently be the only East Coast state to have El Pollo Loco for now.

Yeah In-N-Out Burger would be great! Honestly though, I'm hoping more for Fatburger. I think Fatburger would fit perfectly to replace Burger King at MacArthur Center's food court.

I think JANAF will be their first location and they didn't hit Virginia yet. Here is some information I found on their website....They will open 10 locations in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton and Suffolk.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts: Julie Weeks

El Pollo Loco

[email protected]

08/29/2006 - El Pollo Loco Signs 10-Restaurant Franchise Agreement for Virginia Restaurant Industry Veteran Introduces Virginia to Leading Mexican Fast-Casual Concept

IRVINE, CA

Actually, we already have one up here in Newport News off of J. Clyde Morris Blvd. Which ironically is around all of the low income apartments that are housing illegals. (I can say this truthfully because we are having issues with alot of people carrying out crimes in this community against these people, and the cops are having a hard time arresting people because the illegals won't talk to the cops and give the information to help arrest these people. In fact the police have a campaign out right now trying to reassure these illegals that they will not be deported if they come forward with information.)

Are you sure that's an El Pollo Loco? I think you may have that mistaken with an individually owned Mexican restaurant or something. I looked on their website and VA doesn't have one yet.

Unfortunately, Military Circle is loosing another store...Street Stuff is having a going out of business sale as well and RAVE is closed. NY & Company is having a going out of business sale as well. I hope this mall doesn't end up like Tower Mall did in P-town.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, I'm late to this one... but I will chime in.

1st, if you buy condos on top of a bar you are an idiot. Not only because you bought at the peak, but because you bought on top of a BAR. If you buy a condo on a hot night spot, EXPECT NOISE.

2nd, I hope the Station 2 people win. I didn't go there, but every time I walked down Granby street I looked at it in admiration. I thought, that is sort of what I would do, only I have some ideas that no one has done yet.

I did eat at it when it was Aroma, with a friend and his parents who happen to own one of the other restaurants on Granby.

$9000 a month in rent. Wow.

I believe B. Wrght was asking over $4000 for the space above Relative Theory records.

Consumers are maxed out, so I expect to see a pull back in people going out to restaurants (your woman nagged you into buying that expensive home with the granite counters and stainless steel appliances, make her cook you meals with it you fool!). There will be other spending pullback as well.

I read a credit card forum, and a bunch of the people there are saying American Express is randomly canceling their credit cards, or doing limit decreases, without any negative use patterns or activity.

Hold on... the credit tightening is starting.

BTW, I haven't been to Fatburger. Is it good?

Five guys has locations in Hampton Roads. One in the TOTALLY BUILT OUT Greenbriar. I go over there to go to a place related to work and holy crap is that place built out.

A friend is friends with one of the proprietors of the Fat Burger franchise I think. I believe the other guy is a rap star or made his money from rap stars. The chain was brought here because of it's popularity in rap music I believe (I think Fat Burger is more of a Dre thing, because we all know... the Beastie Boys went to the White Castle and they got thrown out).