Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I know that the owner had said that the market opening up across the street was a concern of his.

It's just a shame that small businesses are closing because they can't survive against the Market Giants.

SAD -_-

To throw my 2c in... that place has never been on my list of places to shop and I live about a ten minute walk away. Weird hours, overpriced and just dingy overall. I was really surprised that they managed to stay open as long as they did. Not trying to kick someone who is down and on the way out, but to stay in the game, you have to adapt. They have done nothing different that I can see that would draw anyone in since farm Fresh opened.

Went to Doumars last week (or perhaps the week before). First time in AGES. Shakes looked good and stuff, burger was.. I guess what you would expect. It was cheap compared to most of the Granby Street stuff. *shrug* It gets expensive going for lunch in downtown Norfolk everyday. The secret is like Famous Uncle Als and such. Not too much food, quick and pretty low cost.

I took a bunch of my collegiates to Dog & Burger the other day. Still priced right. $5 for a dog & burger & fries.

• 2 weeks later...

Market at HH largely a success

McKeever, a downtown resident for 24 years, represents the kind of customer - and the unique shopping patterns - that have emerged in the six months since The Market at Harbor Heights opened. The store differs from its Farm Fresh sisters that traditionally draw once-a-week shoppers who load up carts with enough food to fill their cupboards and prepare multiple meals.

At The Market, nearby residents might drop in several times a week to buy just enough for that night's dinner. Those customers are as likely to take home a hot, prepared meal as they are bags of groceries.

I've been wondering how they were doing. I feared the housing slowdown would cut into their base but this does not appear to have happened.

I've been wondering how they were doing. I feared the housing slowdown would cut into their base but this does not appear to have happened.

I'd have to assume they built this to meet current demand (i.e., no grocery store downtown outside of Ghent) rather than anticipated demand. After all, there are quite a few people living downtown right now.

Sharper Image to close

Another store leaving MacArthur. As with most of the other stores that have left, this is due to bankruptcy, and not the mall itself. They seem to have bad luck with this however, perhaps they need to strengthen the process they use to vet stores.

These stores that are going bankrupt are the ones, like Sharper Image, that sold high-end products and items that might be considered "luxuries". They relied on the discretionary spending power of the baby boomers. Now the boomers are nearing retirement, and they are seeing their home values dropping and the value of their stock slipping. They are not buying all of the toys and the frills that they used to, and the stores are going bankrupt. No matter how closely the Mall may investigate potential tenants, it would have been difficult to see this coming five years ago. (Unless they had Tel on their vetting committee.)

There has been a nationwide slowdown in retail which helps to explain a lot of the national chains that are going out of business at places MacArthur. We probably shouldn't expect too much new retail downtown or at Town Center for a while. :(

Retailers are more cautious about opening stores, afraid that consumers will spend less this year because of looming fears of a recession.

In addition, sales of retail properties have stalled, not from lack of investor interest, but from tighter lending practices.

Ed Kimple, senior vice president and managing broker of Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield, said retail leasing activity has slowed. But he said the slowdown is evident on deals that would consummate in 2010 or later.

• 4 weeks later...

Tell Macy's what you think!

I think that this has been done before, but why not do it again!

I filled out the online form on Macy's website (link above) to let them know what I thought about their Military Circle Store.

I also suggested that they close the Military Circle Store and building an area flagship anchor store at MacArthur Center to provide customers more of the"Macy's Experience".

Just seeing if anyone else would like to join me! :thumbsup:

Edited by lil-bear

I also sent a comment to Macy*s to say that their Military Circle location was not cool and to relocate to an upscale store in MacArthur. :)

If they close their Military Circle location...then the mall would lose an anchor and it would be worst than what it is now. It would probably cause the mall to close. I think MacArthur should either expand the mall and do something creative like make that part an outside mall with the extra space or just get an anchor that is not in the area. I think Military Circle should improve by getting more stores with some variety instead of hip hop clothing stores as well as more national chain stores and the Macy's need renovating. Also the Sears is starting to look less appealing inside now if you ask me.

The problem is that Military Circle is in a vicious circle... It needs new, better tenants. It won't get them until it improves. It can't improve until it gets money from the new tenants. The mall should just be torn down to the ground and rebuilt completely; maybe something mixed use to try and turn that area around.

No better time to abandon ship.

Macy's is a beter fit for MacArthur Center than Military Circle.

The best use for Military Circle would be the area's discount Outlet Macy's.

It would give Macy's an opportunity to provide this area with a store that would provide more of the Macy's experience.

• 1 month later...

Bennigan's on the corner of Va Beach Blvd and Military Hwy (outside of Military Circle Mall and next to Pizza Hut and McDonald's) has closed. The only ones left are 2 locations..one in Va Beach outside of Lynnhaven Mall and one in Hampton on Coliseum Dr outside of the old Coliseum Mall). Even though the place was very poorly managed and was in definite need of repair...it will somewhat be a loss to the area. They closed due to declining sales and it costed too much to repair. During one point..Bennigan's was a hot spot but they kinda gone down..I hope they put something decent there.

Bennigan's on the corner of Va Beach Blvd and Military Hwy (outside of Military Circle Mall and next to Pizza Hut and McDonald's) has closed. The only ones left are 2 locations..one in Va Beach outside of Lynnhaven Mall and one in Hampton on Coliseum Dr outside of the old Coliseum Mall). Even though the place was very poorly managed and was in definite need of repair...it will somewhat be a loss to the area. They closed due to declining sales and it costed too much to repair. During one point..Bennigan's was a hot spot but they kinda gone down..I hope they put something decent there.

The corporation is on the verge of going bankrupt. I remember we had like 16 people that all ended up walking about because the waiters were too busy laughing and clowning... versus say, going to the customer table to take an order?

So are the restaurants of Hampton Roads seeing the effect of the poor economy? What's going on in their world?

Bennigans has always been a bit of a joke hasn't it? Like 1 step down from an Applebee's, or at least that was the impression I always had.

Yeah you are correct about it being a step down from Applebee's but I will miss their Guiness glaze on the shrimp. I can go to the one in Va Beach but there are alot of better options in that area. I had that there like a lil over a year ago. I didn't know the company was in financial trouble but that doesn't suprise me. I notice there isn't many cars in front of the one in Va Beach when I go to Lynnhaven Mall..and that area has alot of traffic...so it must be the restaurant. The Carrabba's and Cheeseburger in Paradise always have a lot of cars in front of it. Bennigan's had a very old look inside and the one in Norfolk definitely needed repairs. I wonder what will take over the building now since they closed that location. Hopefully it will be something good.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be some future improvements with The Gallery at Military Circle (Military Circle Mall). I know someone who works in the mall and I was told that Thor Equities, who currently owns the mall, is fixing the roof and other things and will sell the mall to another company. The person told me that the mall has some new stores that will be coming into the mall...and some are national concepts. Two of the national concept stores are for females (one for teen girls to young adults), which are definitely needed since the mall currently doesn't have many women stores due to a couple closing like NY & Company and Rave. One of those stores will take over the large spot where NY & Company used to be located. There will be a national concept that will come in the mall in either around late fall or early next year that you wouldn't even think would consider Military Circle, but the chain is located in most of the malls around here. A couple of independently owned stores will come as well but I'm unsure of what they sell. There will also be two national chains that will take over the two vacant spots in the food court. One sells coffee and other drinks (not a Starbucks) and the other one used to be there. In my opinion, this seems like the mall will be improving and is heading in a better direction, if this information is true. Everything doesn't have to be a national chain but this will be great for that mall and will make it seem more desireable. Two stores closed this week which were a shoe store, The Diva Spot, and The Leather King due to low business.

Edited by Weaver24

• 2 weeks later...

Walking to lunch we spotted two new eviction notices.

One is the urban clothing store on Botetourt Street, FG.

Two is a salon on ?Plume Street?, which is in Monticello Arcade (technically). It has the nastygram on the door, along with a notice to locksmiths.

On a flip side, I'm investigating if it's possible to rent a large commercial space for a week or so to hold a classic gaming / class computing / modern computing get together over a weekend.